General Discussion Triathlon Talk » crossfit in offseason Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-19 2:36 PM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: crossfit in offseason
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience or know anyone that has incorporated crossfit training during their offseason. I have done nothing but tri training for the last 6 years. I am afraid of losing the bike and run fitness that I have built this year(I have no swim fitness) but I kinda want a change for a little while and my upper body has been neglected for these past 6 years. I also just want to become more fit all around and not just endurance wise. So it has been a real difficult decision for me whether or not to start crossfit. I am an all or nothing person. For example, one might say, why not just incorporate a little crossfit into your tri training. I cannot do that. If I am going to do crossfit, I want to get the most results from it that I can so I will have to do it regularly. So my question is this, if I focus on crossfit this winter and run 1-2 days/week and bike 1/2 days week, when I decide to transition back to triathlon training, will I A) Lose a lot of the run and bike fitness I gained this year B) Only lose a little fitness that can be regained quickly or C) Possibly become a little faster due to the overall fitness crossfit provides? Your thoughts?

2016-09-19 2:50 PM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: crossfit in offseason
2016-09-19 2:57 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I am not an expert by any means, but based on my experience (and reading some other opinions/comments) you will not maintain your running fitness if you are not running.

I guess I would still focus on s/b/r, and have cross-fit as an addition to the training, and not the other way.
2016-09-19 3:39 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Either crossfit has been fully accepted or things really are that bad around here.....  only two replies and one being the popcorn gif

2016-09-19 8:57 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Either crossfit has been fully accepted or things really are that bad around here.....  only two replies and one being the popcorn gif

My body takes enough of a beating during the season. I'd like to punish it less. And at 45 there is no way I'm taking on crossfit. My back and shoulders wouldn't allow it. I've heard about good crossfit instructors and terrible ones so that seems to be a pretty big factor.
2016-09-19 10:34 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

I don't do crossfit but it's up to you if you want to do it. If you're looking to improve your tri fitness...then well you have you work on SBR more. You get better at something by doing more of it (within reason of course). Now if you just want a break from all of that, or at least switch it up for a while, then go for it. Training year round really demotivates me and I normally do some light workouts but get back into lifting weights over the winter since I tend to lean out over the summer. Crossfit will help you become fit but it's not going to make you faster. It will give you some core muscles, which is good, but if you're not doing the SBR thing too then you'll start to lose fitness. Again not too big of a deal to switch it up but don't go cold turkey on everything. Try to keep your running up, something I plan to do, as I always injury myself in the spring by ramping up too quickly from being idle in the winter. Biking and swiming you can add volume to pretty quickly without as much injury risk.

2016-09-20 7:34 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Can you not find a different way of doing strength training?

I'm 51 (52, next month). I can't imagine a more sure-fire way to get injured.......than from what I've seen on those Crossfit competitions on TV. Admittedly, that's been my only exposure to it, though.
2016-09-20 7:44 AM
in reply to: nc452010

Originally posted by nc452010

Can you not find a different way of doing strength training?

I'm 51 (52, next month). I can't imagine a more sure-fire way to get injured.......than from what I've seen on those Crossfit competitions on TV. Admittedly, that's been my only exposure to it, though.

This is my perspective as well. I know a few people that have done crossfit over the years (some injured, some not) and they've tried a few different crossfit gyms and mostly it's because of poor crossfit instructors. I think there are definitely some better crossfit coaches that are safer and then there are some terrible ones. Some of the workouts might be standard HIIT/bootcamp workouts where you run, jump, pushups, etc. which is not necessarily different from some of the HIIT workouts I do at home. But then they start doing stuff with momentum like snatches, kipping pullups, etc. and that's stuff I know is risky for me to get injured.
2016-09-20 8:01 AM
in reply to: #5199267

User image

, North Carolina
The problem isn't always that the coach isn't that good it is that adults don't want to listen to coaching. On top of that Most coaches think that they are going to get the most of you by yelling and screaming like they were done when they were kids. Adults don't respond well to that.

Every person that I know that's done crossfit has been hurt some more seriously than others. But, they've all missed time(in the gym) because of it.

The problem is that there are no easy days. It is full bore 100% of the time. The adult athlete doesn't respond well to that much stress all at once. They always want you to do more reps and more weight.

My metaphor is that you and your fitness are like a cup. When you are out of shape your cup is small and empty. As you start to add fitness your cup fills up and as it gets closer to the top the cup gets bigger. Once your cup is big enough you can add more and more training and your cup won't over flow. It's the over flow that leads to injury. Crossfit is like trying to fill that cup with a firehose. You'll get some fitness in there but the large majority is going to overflow each day
2016-09-20 8:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

I think we've chased away or banned all of the avid crossfitters. 

In all seriousness, I don't think crossfit is necessarily bad, but like any new type of exercise you would need to approach it slowly and carefully.  I'm also not really into the whole cult-like atmosphere (coming from a guy that does Bikram Yoga - speaking of cults LOL).

There are lots of other ways of building up strength in the off-season, but if something like CF is what would get you motivated to do it, then have at it.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2016-09-20 8:18 AM
2016-09-20 1:54 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

In all seriousness, I don't think crossfit is necessarily bad, but like any new type of exercise you would need to approach it slowly and carefully.  I'm also not really into the whole cult-like atmosphere (coming from a guy that does Bikram Yoga - speaking of cults LOL).

There are lots of other ways of building up strength in the off-season, but if something like CF is what would get you motivated to do it, then have at it.

Pretty much agreed with this.

Which leads me to...

Originally posted by mchadcota2So my question is this, if I focus on crossfit this winter and run 1-2 days/week and bike 1/2 days week, when I decide to transition back to triathlon training, will I A) Lose a lot of the run and bike fitness I gained this year B) Only lose a little fitness that can be regained quickly or C) Possibly become a little faster due to the overall fitness crossfit provides? Your thoughts?

Mostly B.  Definitely not C.  Swimming, cycling, and running (heck, any exercise in general) is all about specificity.  Crossfit will in no way shape or form make you a faster swimmer, cyclist, or runner.  Overall fitness is great but specific fitness is better when it comes to doing well at a certain sport or activity.  The only way to get better at swimming. cycling, and running is to actually swim, bike, and run.  There is no substitute for the actual activity itself.

2016-09-20 2:25 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Pretty much agreed with this.

Which leads me to...

Originally posted by mchadcota2So my question is this, if I focus on crossfit this winter and run 1-2 days/week and bike 1/2 days week, when I decide to transition back to triathlon training, will I A) Lose a lot of the run and bike fitness I gained this year B) Only lose a little fitness that can be regained quickly or C) Possibly become a little faster due to the overall fitness crossfit provides? Your thoughts?

Mostly B.  Definitely not C.  Swimming, cycling, and running (heck, any exercise in general) is all about specificity.  Crossfit will in no way shape or form make you a faster swimmer, cyclist, or runner.  Overall fitness is great but specific fitness is better when it comes to doing well at a certain sport or activity.  The only way to get better at swimming. cycling, and running is to actually swim, bike, and run.  There is no substitute for the actual activity itself.

I actually learned it the hard way... I happened to have a personal trainer at my gym and we were working on the lower body, mostly legs. I was preparing for my 10k race and though my legs would be so super-dooper strong after all those legs-oriented exercises. I barely run the race.... it was awful...I suffered so badly with a simple 10k I could not believe.... Exercises will help make your muscles stronger, but you will definitely need more to use these muscles in triathlon (or any other race).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » crossfit in offseason Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Forget Crossfit/P90x - this is the way to train this offseason

Started by vomer
Views: 2388 Posts: 19

2012-11-18 7:39 AM kmwilliams

To crossfit or not to crossfit

Started by Ghormstorm
Views: 2904 Posts: 12

2011-07-31 7:51 PM hunrugger

Ironman on nothing but CrossFit and CrossFit Endurance Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by mwunderle
Views: 51167 Posts: 151

2013-02-01 3:25 PM Quintillion

Snowshoeing in the offseason?

Started by KRCSWO
Views: 1266 Posts: 10

2006-11-05 8:05 AM KRCSWO

Do you do Bricks during offseason?

Started by Hazelmn
Views: 1020 Posts: 10

2006-09-27 12:15 AM Rowdy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 30, 2005
author : KenMierke
comments : 0
Smart athletes are taking a significant break from training to recharge for next year. What else can an athlete do during the next few months to improve next year’s performance?