General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dear Shimano, I love you. Wid-ish shoes! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-21 10:43 AM

Subject: Dear Shimano, I love you. Wid-ish shoes!
Seriously.
Just an FYI for those who wear a "wide" shoe size. I've read a lot of reviews where people say Shimano shoes tend to be more accommodating for wide feet. I find this to be true.

I think I tried every brand of road bike shoe I could find at all the local LBS' when I bought mine. Wound up with probably a fairly standard road bike shoe, mid level from Shimano. While it's not a "wide", it's wide enough. Better than the other brands. There are a few brands that make "wide" shoes and you can buy custom ones too, I see......but they're rather expensive.

Just bought another Shimano shoe off the interwebs. One of the more tri-friendly shoes with just one Velcro closure. Definitely WAY more comfortable and cooler. And I have to say, there's almost "too much" room in the toe box. ALMOST, which isn't "too much". I would think people with regular width feet would have to really crank the Velcro down. I found I had to crank it down enough as it is. I think the model # is: SH-TR32

The model number on my road shoes has worn off, or I'd share that too...for those who know the struggle.

#widefootproblems

2016-09-21 10:42 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Ventura, California
Subject: RE: Dear Shimano, I love you. Wid-ish shoes!

I just purchased the shoes you mentioned, SH-TR32. I wear a 9.5 mens wide and I have to use wide toe box shoes exclusively otherwise my feet will be crammed up.

When I finally upgraded to a real bike shoe just a few weeks ago I went straight for the Tri shoe from Shimano. I with a 9.7 (They are euro sized, 44) so it fits good on the toes and I do have to crank the velco all the way down. Thinking about getting a shoe/sole insert but concerned how that will work with wet feet in and out of the shoe, I don't need to have a insert cramming up or pulling out when I insert or remove my feet. Probably just run them as is for my next oly late Oct and see how they do in race conditions.

So far they have worked out without issue on standard road rides. I personally love them. I have done 2 60 mile rides in them with zero issues and lots of other shorter rides as well, perhaps a couple hundred miles so far. I have not had a chance to practice any transition work in them yet.

2016-09-22 11:00 AM
in reply to: rjcalhoun

My other Shimanos....with two velcros and a ratchet....are definitely a little tighter in the toe-box (but at least I can get my feet in them, compared to some other brands).

One thing I noticed out of the gate on these single velcro deals is that I had to tell my left foot (which is a little wider, oddly) to "relax". I think I've almost become conditioned to scrunch my toes together to accommodate. I had some room in there for them and two or three times caught that I was doing that and had to mentally tell them to just relax and act normal.

When I first started getting into fitness 4+ years ago (odd it seems that long now)....I was just using "running shoes" off the shelf from Kohl's or what have you. And developed a 'foot issue'. Went to a running store and they informed me I was wearing 1-2 sizes too small and that I was a "wide". I suppose that's what you get for being dumb and just buying the same size you bought in high school. They wouldn't sell me a $100+ shoe until I'd gone to one of those comfort foot shoe stores and learned about my feet.

The narrow shoes and short shoes were meddling with the nerves in my feet. I learned. Went back, and because of the service I got from that store, I will never buy running shoes from anyone but them. And, I will never...ever.....try to save money on running shoes.

2016-09-22 11:00 AM
in reply to: 0

double post deleted

Edited by jhaack39 2016-09-22 11:01 AM
2016-09-22 3:22 PM

Master
, California

For bike shoes, Lake has good wide options.  Bont also has a roomy toebox on their shoes, although they are not specifically "wide".  If you're looking for more options in the future.

2016-09-23 1:07 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I agree. I've pretty much always worn shimano shoes... actually I think I have. I don't think that I have the widest feet and I do like my shoes tight, but my feet are a size 35.5, so most shoes in that size are tiny. Only shimanos have really fit me.

However I just bought a new pair of specialized lace ups. Those fit me really well.

2016-09-27 5:01 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
For wider shoes, also look at Louis Garneau and Northwave, both do have wider toe boxes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dear Shimano, I love you. Wid-ish shoes! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

No love for Shimano 105?

Started by Porfirio
Views: 2123 Posts: 24

2013-11-09 7:07 AM moondawg14

Dear BT...a love letter

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 1573 Posts: 23

2012-05-23 7:56 AM jamgam

Dear Mr Shoe Company Exec Pages: 1 2

Started by dipboss
Views: 2170 Posts: 34

2011-12-30 10:43 AM La Tortuga

Shimano SH-TR51 Shoes

Started by NashinAK
Views: 536 Posts: 3

2010-07-22 11:34 AM JMINPNW

Speedplay pedals and Shimano CF shoe compatibility

Started by Kelly728
Views: 496 Posts: 3

2009-08-09 4:34 PM Kelly728
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : December 13, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 8
Choosing a groupset for your next bike? This article offers a detailed comparison of the differences between the Shimano 105 and Ultegra groupsets.
date : October 14, 2010
author : FitWerx
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.

date : January 5, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
As a sports dietitian, I spend too many hours helping my clients find peace with their bodies. So what can you do if you are discontent with your body?
date : December 22, 2008
author : ecnefoop
comments : 9
I had been very fit until I turned the legal age for the two demons: drinking and smoking. Unfortunately, from my 18th birthday, my once fit swimmer's body went downhill and wide very fast.

date : July 2, 2006
author : Ontherun
Gut check! Striking a balance between your two loves can make and keep the relationship strong.
date : February 28, 2005
author : trithis
comments : 1
Triathletes taking the opportunity to reconginze the support of their family, friends and the love of their sports

date : November 29, 2004
author : Akuma
comments : 3
A bike is NOT a piece of metal with a couple of wheels at either end and a steering thing to stop you running over old ladies. No! ... a bike is a space-age “weapon of mass confusion.”