General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nothing new on race day, right? (Latex tubes Q's) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-21 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: Nothing new on race day, right? (Latex tubes Q's)
My LBS is installing my latex tubes, today (my race is Sunday). I'll ride on them tonight and Friday.....but, not enough riding (or the right conditions) to answer my question..........

The bike course in Augusta is run on really bumpy (compared to what I'm used to) roads. I weigh 192 #'s. I typically run my psi @ 120 #'s. I was thinking of running them @ 110 #'s (I did go to Augusta and ride the course a few weeks ago......@ this psi). That training ride was with Butyl. Will the latex make the ride "softer"? If you were me, would you run them at 110 #'s? Lower? Higher?

If it matters, I'm running Conti 4000s II's on a FLO disc/ FLO 60.

Thanks.

2016-09-21 11:41 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Nothing new on race day, right? (Latex tubes Q's)
Originally posted by nc452010

My LBS is installing my latex tubes, today (my race is Sunday). I'll ride on them tonight and Friday.....but, not enough riding (or the right conditions) to answer my question..........

The bike course in Augusta is run on really bumpy (compared to what I'm used to) roads. I weigh 192 #'s. I typically run my psi @ 120 #'s. I was thinking of running them @ 110 #'s (I did go to Augusta and ride the course a few weeks ago......@ this psi). That training ride was with Butyl. Will the latex make the ride "softer"? If you were me, would you run them at 110 #'s? Lower? Higher?

Thanks.

Very typical You are pumping up way too high.
First you did not say what size tires you use which makes a big difference, so I give you approximates for 23 and 25

at 192#s
25mm
rear tire 90 psi
front tire 85 psi

23mm
rear tire 105 psi
front tire 95 psi

These are good starting points you could probably go lower if you wanted to.

At the moment I am 170lbs this is my set up
rear tire 25mm 85 psi
front tire 23mm 85 psi

I have gone lower down to 80 psi on both.
2016-09-21 11:43 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

I would also note (and personally be more concerned) with fixing a flat and practice doing so.  The one time I tried latex I ruined a tube or two with my clumsiness and inability to get it seated right.   They are (as I recall) more fragile in the installation process and less forgiving of installation errors

2016-09-21 11:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Good point, though I'm carrying butyl for a spare (in case of a flat).

I'm not a seasoned triathlete or cyclist. When I bought the FLO's, I asked the mfr. what psi to run. That's why I've been running 120#'s. Lately, seems there's been some deviation from higher to lower psi.......even for big guys.

Oh....they are 23mm

Thanks for the info.

Edited by nc452010 2016-09-21 11:48 AM
2016-09-21 11:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by nc452010 My LBS is installing my latex tubes, today (my race is Sunday). I'll ride on them tonight and Friday.....but, not enough riding (or the right conditions) to answer my question.......... The bike course in Augusta is run on really bumpy (compared to what I'm used to) roads. I weigh 192 #'s. I typically run my psi @ 120 #'s. I was thinking of running them @ 110 #'s (I did go to Augusta and ride the course a few weeks ago......@ this psi). That training ride was with Butyl. Will the latex make the ride "softer"? If you were me, would you run them at 110 #'s? Lower? Higher? If it matters, I'm running Conti 4000s II's on a FLO disc/ FLO 60. Thanks.

If it were me I would run them lower. 

I got Latex Tubes before a race 5 months ago.  I had experimented with everything from 80 PSI to 120 PSI in training and determined that as long as my teeth didn't chatter the pressure wasn't too high and as long as I didn't get pinching flats the pressure wasn't too low.

On race day I got in line for the bike support to set my tire pressure before putting my bike in T1.  I wasn't sure what I wanted them to set the tires to so when I got to the front I let them just fill the tires.  They told me I was ready to go so I smiled and went on my way.  I didn't even ask them what pressure they had set the tires to, but the course felt great so whatever pressure they choose for me they did a good job.  I am 170# and carry about 20# of stuff on my bike.  110 PSI feel okay on a smooth road but 90 PSI feels better. On rough roads I think the softer tires are going to be a bigger advantage than a higher pressure tire.  The Latex should feel better on a bumpy road.  I wouldn't go under 90 psi though because I worry about pinching flats. If you road the Butyl at 110 PSI I think that you should do the same witht he Latex.  Nothing new on race day...right?

Edited by BlueBoy26 2016-09-21 11:59 AM
2016-09-21 11:53 AM

User image

No worries then and good idea

I wouldn't be surprised if my issues were user error

2016-09-21 12:02 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Don't get me wrong, Chris.........there's a reason my LBS is making these installs
2016-09-21 12:30 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by mike761

Thanks.

First you did not say what size tires you use which makes a big difference, so I give you approximates for 23 and 25

at 192#s
25mm
rear tire 90 psi
front tire 85 psi

23mm
rear tire 105 psi
front tire 95 psi

rear tire 25mm 85 psi
front tire 23mm 85 psi

Is there some sort of formula or website you are using to get these numbers? Not calling you out I just want to check my own pressures.

thanks
2016-09-21 12:53 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

FLO wheels and 23mm tires for me at 170 lbs is 90-95 psi.

There is also this - http://flocycling.blogspot.ca/2016/05/flo-cycling-does-tire-pressure-change.html

2016-09-21 2:24 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by DaveL

Originally posted by mike761

Thanks.

at 192#s
25mm
rear tire 90 psi
front tire 85 psi

23mm
rear tire 105 psi
front tire 95 psi

rear tire 25mm 85 psi
front tire 23mm 85 psi

Is there some sort of formula or website you are using to get these numbers? Not calling you out I just want to check my own pressures.

thanks

This is a good starting point

http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/BQTireDrop.pdf
http://trstriathlon.com/talking-tires-with-joshua-poertner/

I assume 55/45 split on a tri bike. more like 60/40 or 65/35 on a road bike.

There is more info out there as well, but I suggest testing. If you go too low of pressure you will pinch flat on bad roads, but the low pressure on bad roads will be faster and more comfortable. When you get to newly paved nice roads higher pressures are better. So most of the time you find a happy medium, but if you now a coarse has all really smooth roads you would want to put the pressure up a bit.

Last month a friend of mine who never listened to me about tire pressure was in an Oly tri with me; he got stuck in traffic and only had minutes to get transition ready. So I pumped his tires for him (to my specs), it was the fastest bike split he ever had and said it was a more comfortable ride.
2016-09-21 4:21 PM

User image

120 psi is probably too high to begin with as others have mentioned.  However, once you dial in the proper tire pressure for yourself (whatever that is), you shouldn't need to run latex tubes at lower pressure than you do butyl.

2016-09-21 7:42 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I ran 95 psi in the front and 102 (just where we stopped) in the rear. I had my disc on, since I finally got around to having them put a tire and tube on it.....lol.

Placebo? Maybe. But, it sure felt like a better ride. I only went 20 mi., but it felt better.

You guys are great. Thanks. I have no idea if it's faster or not. I went on one of the rougher roads I ride on, but I wasn't anywhere near a hard effort.

Thanks again.
2016-09-22 8:21 AM

User image

Oakville

Not sure if it was mentioned above, but latex tubes lose pressure much quicker than butyl.  If you rack your bike the day before, you're going to want to top up the tires the morning of the race.  For a race this past weekend, my tires lost about 15 - 20 psi overnight.  

2016-09-22 4:56 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Just an FYI....I watch the sales and pool an order in with others when Pro Bike Kit runs latex tubes on sale. You can typically get them for around $7.50 per tube this way (Vittorias with the removable core) as long as you're willing to buy in bulk. They run the sales pretty regularly. I store them inside, out of direct sunlight and have never had any shelf-life issues.

Jack Mott wrote a great blog entry last year called "Living with Latex" that gives you a step by step. Nothing that difficult about installing Latex, but they will pop if you get them pinched during the installation process. If you get it wrong, they typically pop as you inflate the tire. However, it's possible to have an installation issue that takes a few miles of riding to show up. I would suggest always riding 5 to 10 miles on a new tube before racing on it.

http://austintriathlonstore.blogspot.com/2015/01/latex-tubes.html

I also started using a few ounces in sealant in mine after reading a series on tube sealants that Greg Kopecky wrote for Slowtwitch. Great articles! Highly recommended!

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Sealant_T...

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Sealant_T...
2016-09-22 9:36 PM

Honestly, unless you're at the pointy end of the race, latex is just not worth the hassle unless you're only installing them for the race and then taking them off after. It's a total pain having to keep filling those things up. And dude, learn how to change your own tubes.

2016-09-23 4:23 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ziggie204 Honestly, unless you're at the pointy end of the race, latex is just not worth the hassle unless you're only installing them for the race and then taking them off after. It's a total pain having to keep filling those things up. And dude, learn how to change your own tubes.

Really, one whole minute before a ride to pump up your tires is a pain?  I think of it as a good habit.

2016-09-23 7:20 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by ziggie204 Honestly, unless you're at the pointy end of the race, latex is just not worth the hassle unless you're only installing them for the race and then taking them off after. It's a total pain having to keep filling those things up. And dude, learn how to change your own tubes.

Really, one whole minute before a ride to pump up your tires is a pain?  I think of it as a good habit.

Not a bad idea to check regardless of the tube type either.

2016-09-23 11:02 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

I don't have time before a ride to check pressure.  Too busy calibrating my PM, posting on FB so everyone knows where I will be riding, and lining up the edges of my bibs and jersey sleeves to keep sharp tan lines.  You know...priorities...

2016-09-27 5:43 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Well, I did get in 24+ mi about 4 days prior to the race....with no issues.

Race day.....flatted (first, ever) on mile 2.5.

lol...............
2016-09-29 5:13 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
2016-09-29 8:02 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Originally posted by brigby1

Yes, a complete pain. Why would it be a good habit? Every third ride is plenty for me. Maybe I should wear my TT helmet too when out training? Might be good habit too?

2016-09-30 7:02 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by ziggie204

Originally posted by brigby1

Yes, a complete pain. Why would it be a good habit? Every third ride is plenty for me. Maybe I should wear my TT helmet too when out training? Might be good habit too?

??? really

Because tires lose air so it's a good habit to make sure your at the right psi before each ride. If your ride are 3 days apart you could easily lose 5 to 10 psi using butyl tubes. If your not over pressurizing your tire to start that means your at risk of a pinch flat. This is why you hear about people getting flats a lot.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nothing new on race day, right? (Latex tubes Q's) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New tires and tubes or just latex tubes?

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 1503 Posts: 9

2011-08-05 1:19 PM the bear

Nothing New on Race Day? Pages: 1 2

Started by RedCorvette
Views: 2285 Posts: 39

2011-07-15 12:26 AM guppie58

"Nothing" new on race day?

Started by nc452010
Views: 1053 Posts: 11

2010-09-24 11:46 AM jsnowash

Nothing new on race day

Started by phxphotog
Views: 837 Posts: 3

2010-08-24 1:42 AM faded_memories

So much for nothing new on race day...

Started by coreyasaur
Views: 1315 Posts: 8

2010-04-11 8:30 PM pschriver
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.