General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike re-build question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-22 11:19 AM

Subject: Bike re-build question
Hey all,
I am looking at purchasing a new frame to ride on next year, but just want to move all my current equipment over from my current bike. Is this as simple as buying the frame and then moving everything over, or are there specifics you have to look for to ensure compatibility? The one thing I thought about was the bottom bracket where the crank feeds through, but maybe that's not a big issue with converters and such. Can you all give me a crash course on what I need to look out for?

Thanks so much!

2016-09-22 2:06 PM
in reply to: linkslefty

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Bike re-build question

Here is an article on types of bottom brackets.  https://learn.performancebike.com/bikes/advice/buyers-guides/bike-parts-and-components/understanding-bottom-brackets-and-cranksets and the cranks that are compatible with each type.

The other issue is the type of derailleur hanger for the front. It can be clamp or braze on.  For clamp on, the clamp must match the seat tube diameter.  Here is an article about that

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/front-derailers.html

2016-09-22 2:15 PM
in reply to: linkslefty

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Bike re-build question
Well not sure what bike / components you have now and what frame you are looking to transition to.

I just did this recently, and mostly everything was able to transfer to the other frame fairly easily.

The only things that had to be replaced, was the chain and the cables / housings for the brakes and derailleurs.

Mainly you need to make sure the bottom bracket is compatible with your crankset. There are different types such as the BBright, BB30, BB90, and 68mm Threaded (common). So you would want to match what you have optimally.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/bottom-bracket-standards-1...

Your steering setup should transfer over, although you probably will need a different stem, also the stack will most likely need adjustment.

Brakes may work ok on the new frame, but depends if the frame is for standard side pull brakes or whatever you have. The mounting pins may need replacing since the frame thickness might be different.

Derailleurs, front derailleur most likely has a mount, and so does the rear derailleur. So those should transfer over.

The main issue after getting the parts over, is to (1) cut the housings, (2) run the cables for brakes and derailleurs, (3) alignment of derailleurs, and (4) brakes.

Then you'll have to adjust the bike for proper fit.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike re-build question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike base building question

Started by garrunning
Views: 1757 Posts: 7

2012-03-09 10:44 PM jngai94

Started by garrunning
Views: 352 Posts: 1

2012-02-26 8:05 PM garrunning

Started by garrunning
Views: 326 Posts: 1

2012-02-26 8:04 PM garrunning

Rebuilding distance question

Started by Sprint_DA
Views: 682 Posts: 5

2009-07-13 6:39 AM Sprint_DA

MTN Bike Rebuild Questions

Started by jcdenton2000
Views: 672 Posts: 10

2007-05-21 3:58 PM jsttri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 20, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.
date : April 2, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?