General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bonehead Move of the Day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-24 8:27 AM

User image

Subject: Bonehead Move of the Day
So last year I ran my first ever 5k. It was the Portage Methodist Church's Sacred Steps 5k. So I saw a flyer at the hardware store about a month ago for this year's race, and thought it would be nice to do the same course again to see how much I've improved in a year. Then I kinda forgot about it.

So about a week or two ago I remembered the race and typed in "Sacred steps 5k race portage" into google and the first hit said September 24 in the page description. I'm all set, no need to click on the page. So this morning I hop on my 3 speed Schwinn and ride the mile and a half to the start/ finish line of the race, and there's not a soul around. I should have clicked on that first hit to see that in Topeka Kansas (or somewhere equally remote from here) is having a Sacred Steps 5k today, but the Portage church had theirs on September 2nd.

Oh well, had a pleasant ride on the Schwinn instead. People are always more talkative on the trail when I ride that bike instead of the Trek. I really ought to ride it more often.

Anyone care to top this boneheaded move?

J White

2016-09-24 5:31 PM
in reply to: Jwse30

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Bonehead Move of the Day
I'm not sure it tops that, but one year I showed up at a half-marathon I've run several times at Angkor Wat in Cambodia. I'd bought the air tickets, made the hotel booking, trained for several months, and flown to Siem Reap. Had even talked a couple of colleagues into signing up and they were with me as well. We went to packet pickup and looked at the big board to find our numbers.....and mine wasn't there. Figured there was some mix-up and went to registration to ask and....somehow I had forgotten to actually register for the race! Normally you can't register at packet pickup (they close the field) but I was lucky enough to kind of know the director (I had run most of the race with her the year before--she's a former Japanese Olympian who started the charity foundation that the race benefits) and she was nice enough to get me a number. That (forgetting to register) is pretty bone-headed.

Not my own bone-headedness but my dad once got the start time of a half-marathon wrong and we arrived, instead of the planned hour early, just as the race was starting. I was "in it to win it" so I jumped out of the car and shed outer layers as I sprinted toward the start line. Dad had to park the car and start about five minutes late! (can't remember if I won or not; with all that adrenaline in the system, it was a PB.)

Missing a turn at World Championships and riding an extra 10 km on the bike might also fit in that category, but I'm not sure it's exactly bone-headedness if you never saw the turnoff (along with about 100 other people), possibly due to poor signage and being passed at the time, and didn't know exactly where to look for it since your Garmin wasn't working. Maybe just really, really bad luck. (Thought I guess breaking a body part during a race would be worse.)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bonehead Move of the Day Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

the 2nd workout of the day, some days bad, some days good Pages: 1 2

Started by crmorton
Views: 3495 Posts: 27

2013-01-21 3:47 PM LPJmom

Bonehead of the Year Award

Started by Wog
Views: 1290 Posts: 6

2012-07-29 3:55 PM Oldteen

Stupid Cyclist Move of the Day??? Pages: 1 2

Started by COSkiGirl
Views: 1563 Posts: 26

2009-05-05 10:05 AM COSkiGirl

Bonehead Move #1 for the New Year

Started by J-McG
Views: 993 Posts: 9

2006-01-18 1:24 PM tommyd

Admission of bonehead move!! Pages: 1 2

Started by tri-hard
Views: 1273 Posts: 38

2005-11-02 2:21 PM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.
date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.

date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.