United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 15s
Overall Rank = 214/817
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/92
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30 for 7:30 start. Ate a Clif bar. Left around 6 and drove down to Philly (race was at Penn's Landing). Had a vitamin water in the car and while picking up my number. Walked around and stretched a little. Would have run a bit if I'd realized the race would be late starting, but I didn't think I had time.
Event warmup:

Just stretching.
Run
  • 57m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Really good run. I felt like I'd gone out a bit fast because of adrenaline, but I was able to keep up the pace. The course markers were not noticeable so I only knew where I was once I'd gone four miles. I tried to pick up the pace a bit after that. When I got to the turn-around (4.75 or so), things got much better. I passed the 5 mile timing pad at 46:41 (on my watch - it registered me when I passed on the other side of the street). At that point, I knew I was on track to beat my PR from last year, so I really started to push it. I saw the bridge in the distance (the course turned in under it) and put all my focus into I almost skipped the last water station because it was so close to the end. Good thing I didn't, because I had the wrong bridge. I was focused on the Ben Franklin bridge, but really the course turned in under an overpass - the entrance to Penn's Landing. Mentally, it was a blow to realize I had that much more to go (really not too much, but it looked like it). I had a hard time keeping myself in it, but I tried to keep up my tough pace to the end. My surge to the finish line was not a sprint, and almost didn't come at all, because my breathing got way out of control in the last tenth of a mile down to the finish chute. As soon as I got into the chute, though, I was able to power through and accelerate across the line (and shock Jeff, who clearly wasn't expecting to see me yet and didn't notice me until I was right in front of him).

I did not walk the entire time (apart from three or four steps at water stops - I still fail at drinking while actively running).
What would you do differently?:

I feel like I could have had a better race if I knew where in the course I was. If I'd had some motivational splits early on (like fast mile and 5K splits), I might have been able to dig down even deeper. Still, I did really well on the first half despite having no idea where I was, so maybe I don't need the pacing advice as much as I think.

Give me another gorgeous day like this and I can throw down a 5K PR for sure. My 24-year-old self has got nothing on my 34-year-old self.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Stretched out my exhausted hamstrings. Had my complimentary grilled cheese (a bad choice, but I missed the healthy food in the finish chute because I ducked out to see Jeff more quickly, so I didn't realize there were other options). When we got home, I took an epsom salt bath.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. I hadn't run this distance since Steelman in mid-August. I cut down my run distances after that because I was focusing on the Hightstown sprint. I didn't realize that was only two weeks before this race. Even if I had, though, I'm not sure I would have run longer. I've been in a huge time crunch since September started.

Event comments:

The course was a good, flat one, but the race itself was weird. They were trying to set some kind of world record by running races simultaneously in dozens of cities. Even with that pressure, we started late. The pre-race announcer was impossible to hear because the sound system was way over to the side away from the start chute. On the course itself, there was no crowd support and very little supportive spirit from other racers. Usually, I see lots of people cheering each other on during the race, but this time I only encountered one or two others doing it. I did a great time, but didn't end feeling like I was a part of the race.

Last updated: 2016-08-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:15 | 06.21 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/92
Overall: 214/817
Performance: Good
Course: Out from Penn's Landing to Christopher Columbus Blvd. South to Washington Ave Green - turn in down Delaware River Trail to end and back out to CC Blvd. North to near Sugar House, then back south and into Penn's Landing to the finish chute.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2016-09-25 11:13 AM

User image

Lawrence Township,
Subject: Global Energy 10K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Global Energy 10K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TXU Energy Turkey Trot - 10k

Started by mademille
Views: 1136 Posts: 1

2010-12-06 6:37 AM mademille

TXU Energy Turkey Trot - 10k

Started by tsapp1981
Views: 805 Posts: 1

2010-11-25 11:21 AM tsapp1981

R4R 9th Annual 5K/10K Run/Walk (Run - 10k)

Started by Miker1818
Views: 1331 Posts: 1

2010-10-24 9:13 PM Miker1818

"Got Energy?" La Crosse Area YMCA Touchtone Energy Triathlon

Started by phoenixrising404
Views: 1222 Posts: 4

2007-06-11 12:48 PM JeanetteJ.

Start Global Cooling

Started by ScotinSeattle
Views: 664 Posts: 1

2007-05-24 6:47 PM ScotinSeattle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Sport drinks replenish what is lost during exercise, such as electrolytes, water, sugar, while energy drinks are designed to provide a boost in energy.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
You can spend a small fortune on these pre-wrapped bundles of energy, thinking they offer magic ingredients-not true. “Energy” simply means “provides calories” and not “will make you feel energetic."
date : June 14, 2005
author : smeeko
Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.

date : February 28, 2005
author : gsmacleod
The role of concentration and focus in athletic training and competition.
date : January 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Energy bars and fluid replacement drinks have their place – and will surely be the subject of future reviews – but there is nothing quite like the immediate lift an energy gel can provide.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.