General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McKinney, Texas
United States
Playtri
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 23m 25s
Overall Rank = 10/118
Age Group = 30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Pre-race routine:

All week the forecast for Sunday was heavy rain and lightning. Given this was scheduled to me my last tri of 2016, I was really looking forward to racing. I stuck to my routine of a bagel with almond butter with honey and a banana while driving to the race site in some light rain. As soon as I pulled up to park, the skies opened up and I was starting to think I should have stayed in bed. After about 15 mins, the rain let up and I headed over to transition to get setup. As always in triathlons, I'm not the only crazy person who woke up at 4:30 hoping to get a race in despite the weather.
Event warmup:

I planned on doing a run to get the blood flowing but given the rain and uncertainty about the race I wound up not doing anything. We were delayed about 40 minutes then told by the RD that we would race but if any lightning came close to the course no matter where we were at everything would be cancelled immediately. I was happy they made this call and also that they didn't change the Olympic to a Sprint as they'd done in the past. Overall, my warmup consisted of standing under a shelter with about 100 other people until we were told to get to the start line.
Swim
  • 27m 41s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 51s / 100 meters
Comments:

The course was 2 loops and not wetsuit legal. Given it's a small lake, there was no chop and overall this was a relatively easy swim from a conditions standpoint. I stupidly didn't cover myself in body glide because I didn't think it was needed without a wetsuit (wrong!) but I felt comfortable swimming and was in a good groove for most of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

I feel as though I've plateau'd in my swimming and need to get some more open water swims into my training. I felt I kept good form for at least 90% of the swim but I was hoping I would have been faster. The good news was I wasn't exhausted and I was ready to push on the bike to make up for my mediocre swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

It's a long run from the swim exit to transition up a steep grass hill then down the other side. Given the weather I took it slow so I didn't wind up falling flat on my face. I decided to wear my wet socks and put my shoes on in transition then off I went.

I still hope to be able to pull off the flying mount with clipped in shoes one of these days but with slick roads, wet feet and grass between transition and the bike mount this wasn't the race to do it.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 34s
  • 22 miles
  • 21.44 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a 4 loop course with only a couple small hills on the course. It started raining heavily during my 2nd loop which resulted in me taking every turn at a snails pace but I pushed everything in between the turns pretty hard and I was very happy with my time. I took in 1 gel, 1/2 bottle of Heed and 1 bottle of water. My HRM decided to stop working after my 1st loop (too wet??) so I rode based on feel and between trying not to slide out on the turns and make up for my mediocre swim I felt this went as well as it could have.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

I tried getting my feet out of my bike shoes before the bike dismount but given the rain I didn't feel comfortable after my 1st attempt reaching down. I unclipped, racked my bike, swapped shoes then hit the road.

Nothing
Run
  • 49m 52s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 59s  min/km
Comments:

This is an out and back course with hills mixed in throughout the course. Some are short and steep and others long and not as steep. I felt great for the first 3 miles then the pain started kicking in. I didn't cramp but my body was telling me to slow down which was unfortunate as I was shooting for a 45 min run. Thankfully I was only passed by 1 person but without having a HRM I can't say exactly what was going on. 8 min/mile isn't bad and given the conditions I can't complain but before next season I need to run more which will hopefully lead to a stronger finish.
Post race
Warm down:

The rain was coming down in buckets so I grabbed a banana, a bag of Cheetos and thankfully they had ipads which you could check your time/results on. I saw I came in 2nd in my AG and was absolutely shocked! I grabbed my 2nd place mug (no trophy, just a mug....weak!) and hit the road with a smile on my face!

Event comments:

Despite the weather, this was a fun, organized and great race which I'll do again in the future!

Last updated: 2016-08-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:41 | 1500 meters | 01m 51s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/118
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:01:34 | 22 miles | 21.44 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:49:52 | 10 kms | 04m 59s  min/km
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2016-09-26 9:30 AM

User image

Subject: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic

2016-09-27 12:34 PM
in reply to: #5199886

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic

Nice way to end the season! Great job! 

2016-09-28 9:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Aledo, Texas

Way to go! Overall, what was your impression of the course? It seems like most of the PlayTri events are at that course. The description is not very appealing, and McKinney is a bit of a drive from my side of the metroplex.

Awesome that you made the podium. Also, I'd love to have a "mediocre" swim at your pace. Hope to see you at some races next year.

Edited by LundyLund 2016-09-28 9:47 AM
2016-09-28 9:54 AM
in reply to: #5199886

User image

Pennsylvania

2nd AG, that's awesome!!!  Congrats on a good race, thankfully it sounds like the rain wasn't too much of a factor during your day.

2016-09-28 4:19 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Thanks everyone and Steve, you're right that they seem to hold a few races at this venue. I must say it's a great place to PR. The swim is in a small, very calm lake and the bike course is the fastest I've done. I can see it getting old after doing it year after year but for now I enjoy it and try and beat my previous race time. Didn't happen this race but I blame that on the weather
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic

Started by aggiebe
Views: 1140 Posts: 1

2010-09-28 8:40 AM aggiebe

Started by mashmead
Views: 1192 Posts: 2

2010-09-29 3:14 PM cbh

Started by rhetts
Views: 1361 Posts: 2

2010-09-27 12:28 PM Boogie7247

Started by antman
Views: 1275 Posts: 1

2010-09-27 10:29 AM antman

Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by tri_sandz
Views: 1709 Posts: 7

2007-10-04 2:23 PM tri_sandz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.