General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone else get nauseous after races? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-26 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: Anyone else get nauseous after races?
Earlier OLY this year....my HR got really high, but it wasn't so long a race that it caught up with me (hindering my performance). I had a great result. After the race, I drove home with a towel in my lap. For 3+ hours, I felt like I might throw up.

Same thing with a 70.3, yesterday. I couldn't eat until well into the evening.

What helps with this? Is there something I could eat, drink or take that would help with the nausea? I'm not really feeling weak. I just feel like I couldn't keep anything down (even if I did have an appetite).

Thanks.

2016-09-26 5:28 PM
in reply to: #5199948

Subject: RE: Anyone else get nauseous after races?
I rarely can eat much after a race. Just some fruit and Gatorade or water. After some races I get home and get the chills. Once I rest for a couple of hours I'm okay.
2016-09-26 5:35 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have the same issue at times. Oddly, it is usually worse for shorter events. Guessing it is a combination of high heart rate (the worst happened once when my brakes started rubbing on my tire in a sprint, so I was putting out a ridiculous amount of effort to do a pretty bad bike split, and then tried to make it up on the run), lactic acid or something, and heat/humidity. It is pretty normal for me to feel nauseous toward the end of a sprint run (and sometimes an Oly) and then for up to eight hours afterward. It can't be my nutrition in the case of a sprint, as I'm not taking in anything during the race but water and sugar-free electrolyte drink (which I always train with). For longer distances, it's less of an issue. You probably need to look at a bunch of things--what you eat BEFORE the race, nutrition and hydration during the race, pacing, cooling down (in a temperature sense) after the race. A lot of the races in the tropics have cold towels at medical--even if you don't feel you need medical attention, it can help to put one of those over your head and sit for a while. I pretty much end up doing that after any sprint or Oly in the tropics, or I am going to throw up before I get back to the hotel. If weather is very hot/humid, a more concentrated electrolyte drink and/or salt tabs might help (but could also make matters worse).

For me, once it starts, pretty much the only thing that helps is lying down quietly in the air con. That's not always possible with post-race logistics, though. Sometimes things like mint or ginger tea, or crystallized ginger, will help as well.
2016-09-26 6:12 PM
in reply to: #5199960

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Yes mine seem to be heart rate related and mostly for races over 1 hr and 30 minutes up to and including HIM's. Much of what has been said above, no appetite, slight headache, and chills. Lasts anywhere from 1-3 hrs but definitely seem to be helped by lying down.
2016-09-26 6:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Were you "eating" on the course? Having gels and such? I know I have a hard time eating sometimes on shorter but higher intensity races which makes the stomach smaller for a while. Being dehydrated will also do what you experiencing. I sweat like crazy. Even after a 12 mile run today in 78 temps, I had to stop because I was so thirsty and I had salt stains all over my body. Well...I was also going too fast for a "slow" run for sure too.

My new thing after races is severe heart burn when I try to eat (to where I originally thought I was having a heart attack). Just started happening last year and seems to be a 50/50 shot for me now. I now bring tums in a baggy to have after a race when I start to eat.

Edited by Blastman 2016-09-26 6:41 PM
2016-09-26 7:17 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Same 70.3 nutrition plan I used for the last race (early August). I added in some base salt and took in an extra bottle of water (due to the heat).

Just not sure what's causing it.

2016-09-26 9:54 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by nc452010 Earlier OLY this year....my HR got really high, but it wasn't so long a race that it caught up with me (hindering my performance). I had a great result. After the race, I drove home with a towel in my lap. For 3+ hours, I felt like I might throw up. Same thing with a 70.3, yesterday. I couldn't eat until well into the evening. What helps with this? Is there something I could eat, drink or take that would help with the nausea? I'm not really feeling weak. I just feel like I couldn't keep anything down (even if I did have an appetite). Thanks.

I was the kink of puke in Junior High and High School.  I got nausea plenty of time.  I must have figured things out because It have been year since I toss cookies after a race.  I have defiantly felt like I wanted to throw up.

My last two 70.3 races I had light meals the night before the race and didn't eat anything the morning of the race.  I think the rule of thumb is to not take anything for 4 hours before the race.  You don't want a lot of fluids sloshing around on you stomach while you swim. I also have experimented around with not a taking anything the first 30 minutes of the bike ride. The results were that on those two 70.3 races that I didn't feel any nausea.  I think eating things that don't settle well in your stomach and  pushing myself to the limits are the two things that cause problems for me.  I know a Marathonist who can'r stomach vanilla Gu.  Anything else is great, but Vanilla GU made her through up.  My last time I threw up I think was from taking too many HeadShots between running legs on the Napa Valley Ultra Ragnar Relay two years ago.  For me throwing up is the best cure.  If I throw up the nausea passes quickly.  If not it may be the whole day that I will feel sick.

2016-09-27 9:20 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Extreme Veteran
for sprints and olympics I am ok but after a 70.3 I can not eat for 3 or 4 hours until my fluid levels come back up close to normal. A IV always helps the process
2016-09-27 9:54 AM

This has happened to me 3 times, always after a very hard effort. For me, the distances were not long. Sprint triathlon, 2 different 10K's. All were PR's. The only thing about the Sprint Tri was it was hot and humid. I get very lightheaded and nauseated after, which lingers for at least 45 minutes.
This probably sounds odd, but what helps me a lot is to get down on my knees, and lean forward with my head down between my forearms almost on the ground. Forearms are in same position as though I was going to do a plank. Told you it was odd! Really helps me though. Only drawback is you have people constantly asking if you are OK.

My 2 cents is that it is directly a cause of HR which in my case had to be very close to max for an extended time of at least 40 minutes.
2016-09-27 4:58 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
After a sprint or a time trial, I'm always feeling nauseous... just really hard effort. Longer races (which I admittedly suck at...), I'll do a whole lot better, just more of a total exhaustion rather then cross eyed and feeling sick.
2016-09-27 5:27 PM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not weird. Our HS coach had us get into that position if we felt nauseous after races; I teach it now to the kids I coach. It gets blood flow from your legs to your brain, which might alleviate some of the nausea issue if the cause is mainly high effort level. If it's dehydration, though, you're going to need fluids. For overheating, the cold towel on the head, or ice on the back of the neck, and/or standing under a cold shower or going back in the water, is good.

2016-10-01 1:25 PM
in reply to: #5199948

A nice cold Coke is my magic elixar for post race N/V.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone else get nauseous after races? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

1st Race of 2010, I'm nauseous

Started by swyzzel
Views: 1633 Posts: 14

2010-03-17 10:10 PM yogatri

Nauseous/vomiting during IM Bike leg

Started by KathyG
Views: 4381 Posts: 14

2009-09-20 6:10 AM brown_dog_us

Multivitamins making me nauseous...

Started by CubeFarmGopher
Views: 1661 Posts: 11

2005-11-18 6:12 PM Shaved_Wookie

Does anyone have tips for getting up early Pages: 1 2

Started by golfinggods
Views: 2646 Posts: 44

2005-09-23 7:38 PM Lara

Anyone else not getting Danskin Tri emails?

Started by First_Tri
Views: 642 Posts: 5

2005-04-22 7:52 AM possum
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 29, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Character attributes and temperament of successful triathletes.

date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.
date : July 26, 2012
author : juliapurr
comments : 2
Learn what to do and what not to do during your taper. Learn how to taper best if you have multiple races on your schedule.

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?