General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Used powertap pro+ Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-28 7:50 AM

Subject: Used powertap pro+
I used trainer road last winter and had a good time, picked a up a used powertap pro+ recently for real cheap, now I have some questions

When I calibrate it the offset is around 570, is this way way off, ie does it need to be serviced?

I know it needs a new free hub body, the current one has notches in it from where the cogs wore into it. And the last 3 cogs are completly stuck on it due to the wear. Do I have to order a new free hub from powertap?

2016-09-29 1:13 PM
in reply to: LeBlanc

Master
, California
Subject: RE: Used powertap pro+

I'd have to go look it up but I think that offset is within a normal range.

As for the freehub, they did at one time make a steel freehub body, at least for their 10-speed hubs.  You might have to call them and ask -- I don't see them listed on their website anymore.  Be careful their current website lists a *alloy* shimano body with steel bearings.  That's not the one you want.

This is the 10-speed one.  I have never seen one for 11-speed though.

The steel freehub body won't get notched up like the alloy ones.  For your old one, you can try gently tapping with a hammer to get the cassette free, but I would replace the freehub after you do that.

2016-09-29 3:02 PM
in reply to: #5200151

I did some initial googleing and what people said was within acceptable range for calibration was varied. After more searching it seems most say 524ish is as high as it should go. Maybe Ill email powertap.

Kinda feel like I jumped the gun on this, I bought it for $300 Cdn and its built into a mavic open pro rim. If it has to be sent to be serviced and I know I will need a new freehub than I think its going to cost me more in repairs than I bought it for.
2016-09-29 3:06 PM
in reply to: #5200315

Oh and thanks that freehub seems great. Im having doupts about my purchase so Ill have to see if its worth buying right now.
2016-10-02 8:51 AM
in reply to: LeBlanc

User image

I have a Power Tap G3 that I bought new. It has consistently had an offset of 540 or so. Yesterday it was 542. But I have seen it as low as 524 and up to 570.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Used powertap pro+ Rss Feed