World Triathlon Corporation
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 41m 6s
Overall Rank = 1307/2741
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 137/
Pre-race routine:

Ate my 2 packs of oatmeal, had a 12 oz bottle of gatorade, and rode the mile down to the start.
Event warmup:

rode the bus to the start, laid in the dark for an hour waiting, stood in line for another 20 min and jumped in the water
Swim
  • 54m 42s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went well. My main goal was to take it easy and swimn straight. I never pushed the pace and felt great the whole time. I went to the middle of the river hoping to catch more of a current. Sighted well for the first half. By the halfway point, I had started to catch all of the non-wetsuit swimmers, and it got a lot more congested. Plus, there was a bend in the river where it narrowed down. I was having to zig zag around a lot of people, but did it in a controlled pace and never felt bad. I was hoping for a 60 mion swim, so was thrilled when I saw that time, especially given how good I felt.
What would you do differently?:

noithing
Transition 1
  • 07m 58s
Comments:

LOng run up the steps to transition. Got the suit off easily enough, wanted to make sure I had everything ready for a 7 hr bike. Stopped to pee, had to wait a minute or so for a port-o-pot to open

nothing
Bike
  • 6h 38m 15s
  • 116 miles
  • 17.48 mile/hr
Comments:

First loop went very well. Never pushed it. Ate a Clif Breakfast pack about 10 min in, then a PBJ at 90 min. A sip or 2 of perpetuum every 15 min all day, and water whenever I felt I needed it. Also got a bottle of gatorade just to have something different. Tons of people on the road, so was constantly jumping past them. It was still cool outside. Enjoyed thefirst loop. By the second loop, it was getting hot. I stopped at the special needs stop at 53, refilled perpetuum, had a small coke. Continued the q15min perpetuum and water/gatorade as needed. Had 3 PBJs total, along wiht a couple of gels. About mile 90 I started cramping and really feeling hte heat. THe HotShot was great at warding off cramps, although the came back every time I hit a hill. Made it back in and felt pretty tired, but mentally, was feeling good. My goal was 6:45 on the bike, so I was still pretty pleased.

Drink more fluids
Transition 2
  • 07m 9s
Comments:

Went into the tent, got some ice water dumped on me. Relaxed for a couple of minutes, and was off to the run

nothing
Run
  • 6h 53m 2s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 15m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I feltl strangely good coming out of transition. Talked to the girls for 30 sec, and jogged along hte riverfront for a 1$ mile til I hit a small hill. Waked up it, then did a slow jog interspersed with walking whenever I felt like I Was starting to spike the HR. No shade at all in the first 4 miles. At mile 3 I was very nauseated and didn't drink in fear of vomiting. By mile 4, I was dizzy, and very nauseated. I thought it best to sit and rest for a minute and cool off nad let the HR come down. a minute turned into about 25 min. I laid in the grass for awhile and seriously contemplated quitting. After cooling off, I thought I'd walk a bit and see how I felt. I got up, and within 5 min was feeling much better. I tired occasional 200m of jogging, but once my HR started creeping up, the nausea returned. I was able to take some fluids. ORanges and grapes went down the easiest. Also got a couple of peppermints which REALLY helped. Caught up with a guy that had ridden close to me all day and we began talking. He was feeling as bad as I was. We rna very little through the rest of the first lap. The hills in the second half were TOUGH! Nancy and the girls met us as we came back across theriver, and walking and talking with them for 5 min was a nice mental boost. I thought about trying to run some in the second lap, as I was feeling a ton better, but Doug was struggling, so I stayed with him. He'd lag behind occasionally, but always managed to catch up. I felt good mentally, talked to all the volunteers and spectators. Got back to thebridge to finish and was feeeling really good. Rant the last 1/2 mile, and slowed purposefully to have the finish chute to myself.

Not race in 95 deg heat.
Post race
Warm down:

Nancy was helping hand out medals, so once I got mine, I wanted to find the kids. GOt so cught up in finding them, I totally missed thepost race food spread. Got my bike, went back to hotel and was STARVING.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat was brutal. Only 1600 finishers out of ~2750 registrants.

Event comments:

Very well organized, tons of drink stops on both bike and run. I would like to see a better athlete tracking system in place, where you could have a text sent when I cross a timing mat, etc. I was so excited to finish and see family that I totallymissed the post race food. I was too slow to leave, shower, and come back and watch the finish like I had wanted to. Overall, a great experience, one that I will do again.

Last updated: 2015-10-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:54:42 | 4224 yards | 01m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/
Overall: 112/2741
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless suit
Course: point to point downriver
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:38:15 | 116 miles | 17.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 115/
Overall: 676/2741
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 11 mile out, then 47 mile loop x 2, and back in the 11 mile segment. Rolling hills throughout but nohting steep
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 07:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:53:02 | 26.2 miles | 15m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 137/
Overall: 10103/2741
Performance: Bad
Course: 8 mile loop along the river, and then a 5 mile loop over the river and through a very hilly neighborhood. Repeated it twice.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-09-29 11:18 AM

Subject: Ironman Chattanooga

2016-09-29 1:46 PM
in reply to: #5200296

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga

Great job on a super tough day!!! Way to make it to the finish

2016-10-05 12:01 PM
in reply to: #5200296

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga
Hot was an understatement at this race!! Great job adjusting to conditions. Good man helping your new buddy along.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Chattanooga Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by meyding
Views: 1728 Posts: 2

2014-10-05 4:08 PM Sous

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by clemson05
Views: 1703 Posts: 2

2014-10-05 4:02 PM Sous

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by austhokie
Views: 1768 Posts: 4

2014-10-06 6:54 AM austhokie

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by WoodrowCall
Views: 2868 Posts: 11

2014-10-10 12:09 PM mtnbikerchk

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by Chris.1333
Views: 2068 Posts: 5

2014-10-05 4:10 PM Sous
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.