General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weird Sore Toe Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-30 4:12 PM

User image

Subject: Weird Sore Toe
I can't figure this one out. At first it would come and go. Then it stayed sore for a number of days. Then it was so sore that I couldn't put any pressure on it and my whole foot swelled up. It slowly got better and went away but a slight pain comes back every once in a while. It's right at the ball of the big toe. It's sensitive to pressure (me pressing on it with my finger) but I can bend the toe without significant pain. Ibuprofen seemed to help some. Ice felt better when I put it on but didn't seem to help with the healing. Any ideas as to what it could be?

2016-09-30 6:14 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Weird Sore Toe
Could be a bruise of some sort (if it's only lasted a week or two--should clear up by then) or if it's more persistent, something like a neuroma. That's not cancer--just a swelling from a nerve irritation. You can Google it. Might be triggered by your shoes, or even cleat position on the bike. I had a painful bout of this a few years ago. Not really sure what triggered it. Maybe a combo of cleat position putting pressure there and running shoes that were just a bit too small. I've found that even if you stick to the same brand/size/model, the fit profile changes a bit year to year and even if last year's version fit great, this year's could be a bit tight. Or maybe some shoes shrink if you get them wet a lot? In my case, the issue lasted several months but only gave me a few bad days when I couldn't run. The more annoying issue was that I couldn't run comfortably in my racing flats, and barefoot running really hurt, which made race transitions difficult. Was gradually able to alleviate it by moving up 1/2 size with shoes, getting roomier bike shoes as well, and moving my cleats further back, more toward mid-foot. Plus ibuprofen or some kind of topical anti-inflammatory, and ice.
2016-09-30 7:24 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Thanks. That might be it. I haven't changed biking shoes in years and my running shoes are well broken in. I guess I'll just hope it disappears and stays away. If it comes back, I'll call a toe truck.
2016-10-03 1:39 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Two things based on symptoms I can think off based on recent experiences; Metatarsalgia or Morton's Neuroma (had this). 

For Metatarsalgia my doc said it was most common at the first metatarsal head just behind the big toe but can occur in the entire region of the metatarsals and made sure to rule it out when I had my initial neuroma diagnosis.  Things like stepping on a rock, jumping, worn-out shoes, etc., can lead to issues.  Heck my wife when she's running a lot develops thick a callous on the ball of her feet and she'll develop a nuisance pain.  She'll use a pumice stone to control the issue.

A neuroma is likely between the 2nd and 3rd (mine) or most likely between 3rd and 4th toes.  I had developed a severe case of this last year and had surgery to cut the darn thing out as it eventually was affecting my walking gait.  I did not have a lot of swelling with it, only on the top was where I could tell.  I could run with the neuroma without pain most of the time, but hurt every other time I wasn't running. Worst was the stabbing pain I'd get laying in bed at night, it would wake me at times.

IMHO, I'd see a foot doc and get it x-rayed for piece of mind.

2016-10-03 3:37 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
it could also be a stress fracture in your toe
2016-10-03 9:27 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

I'd considered stress fracture but I don't think it would come and go.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weird Sore Toe Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Turf Toe (sprained big toe)....still feel it 2 weeks later

Started by MRDAVIDALEXANDER
Views: 1861 Posts: 3

2013-06-25 7:53 AM danimal123

Toe blisters solved - toe socks rule!!

Started by kagoscuba
Views: 546 Posts: 1

2010-01-10 7:48 PM kagoscuba

Toe blisters solved - toe socks rule!!

Started by kagoscuba
Views: 820 Posts: 7

2010-01-11 10:07 AM Artemis

Hurt, too sore, or just the right amount of sore..I need your wisdom

Started by pga_mike
Views: 961 Posts: 2

2009-10-07 8:37 PM jvanis

How sore it too sore?

Started by la_guerita
Views: 1516 Posts: 20

2006-02-10 6:54 PM element
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 3
Several strategies for coping with or preventing numb toes and feet

date : September 25, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
After I have been cycling for about an hour the three middle toes on my left foot go tingly and then hurt like the blazes. Any clue as to what may be going on?
date : April 22, 2009
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.

date : November 12, 2008
On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?
date : April 21, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
There are a few things you can do prevention-wise to avoid these annoying toe cramps (one of which is NOT eating tons of bananas as the common wisdom dictates!)

date : September 14, 2007
author : Team BT
Squats with one toe on bosu stability ball exercise with picture and video.
date : August 7, 2007
Yesterday I ran 10 miles. At mile 7 it started feeling sore. At mile 9.5 I got a shooting pain and walked the last 1/2 mile. I have a half Ironman to do in a week and a half. What are my chances?

date : April 2, 2006
I have been noticing a pain in my left foot on my longer runs. It is focused on the ball part of my foot, almost a burning type sensation. Typically wiggling my toes around will get it to subside.