General Discussion Triathlon Talk » WWBTD Volunteers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-10-04 10:50 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: WWBTD Volunteers

So I get its important to thank volunteers and I always wave or say thanks as much as possible esp to the police  preventing me from getting run over.  Now people are getting wrist bands printed up to give out to volunteers and making race medals to give out and even buying gift cards to give out.  REALLY?  That is a bit over the top to me.  I mean its a nice gesture but there are 1000s of people volunteering on an IM course and now I am supposed to buy them gift cards????  I am all for paying it forward and I should volunteer at races more myself but I don't do it to get a gift card for my time.  And then gifts for everyone who comes with you and gift bags to keep them busy etc etc etc

2016-10-04 11:37 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: WWBTD Volunteers
Gift cards for volunteers?! That's a bit excessive, I think.
As for gifts and goody bags for your spectating friends, I do understand the sentiment behind it, but wow, that is a whole 'nother level. I mean, I'm perfectly capable of keeping myself occupied while a friend is out on a race course. And perhaps if they're trying to assuage some guilt about long training hours taking away from our time together? Ain't nothing wrong with having a night out (or in!) during recovery/off season. You're my friend, so I'm happy to support you doing something you enjoy. I don't need you to buy my friendship with a goodie bag!
Although, I must say, I made a batch of muffins and made sure my husband had them packed up on race morning. Any one of my other family/friends that ran into him got a muffin. That being said, it was my hometown race, so I had access to my kitchen the day before the race. I like baking. Maybe those people like making goodie bags?
2016-10-04 12:27 PM

User image

Someone hear I think put a gift card in each special needs bag to give a volunteer.  Nothing big, more like a $5 starbucks card.  I thought that was really nice but I would hardly expect that to be the norm. 

IMO a smile and a thank you, not necessarily both, is good. 

2016-10-04 1:50 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I try and say thank you to every volunteer on the course I pass by... sometimes on the run it gets a little ugly and it's just a nod, but the intent is there.
2016-10-05 11:46 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Yeah I've heard of the $5 Starbucks cards thing in the past number of years as well. Good for them, but it wouldn't be on my priority list.

The 'thank you' items for my cheerleaders though, are a priority for me. My parents always travel across the country to see me do Ironmans so I feel the least I can do is cover some meals and coffee for them, provide them with fun/silly things like cowbells, glow necklaces, sunscreen, gum, a hand-written thank you card. The first year I did this, I also bought custom t-shirts but they have kept them and are still wearing them. The other little stuff is fun for me to put together as a small thank-you, and really appreciated by them.

The years my younger nephews came to cheer me on, I will admit I probably went overboard with stuff for them: sidewalk chalk, glow in the dark stickers, fake mustaches (that was actually the biggest hit), handheld games, customized snacks (lots of food allergies), disposable cameras, I even created an IM scavenger hunt (that they didn't care very much about LOL). 

I say do what you're comfortable doing - could be a verbal thank you or all the way to a customized package. It's all individual and I don't think there are any rules involved.

2016-10-05 1:04 PM

User image

I always thank the volunteers as I am racing (and I have noticed that a lot of people don't). It wouldn't occur to me as a participant to give them thank-you gifts, but a lot of race directors would do well to do something like that. I typically volunteer for about one or two races a year (so I really know that most participants don't say thanks). There have been times when I have stood on a course in the sun all day directing traffic until the last runner comes through. No one relieves me. No one checks to see if I need to use the bathroom, or need any food, water, or sunscreen. After the last person comes through, I head back to the finish line and find that all of the refreshments have been packed up or consumed, but hey, could I stick around and help tear things down.

I realize that RDs have a million things to take care of, but they need to assign one volunteer to take care of the others and make sure that their needs are met. There is one around here who always gives small gifts like a 6-pack of beer to his volunteers and makes sure that they get lunch. I am much more likely to volunteer with him than anyone else.

2016-10-06 9:14 AM

User image

Elite

I like the wristband!  But I forgot to hand mine out. I think its a nice gesture, keeps you thinking positively.

2016-10-07 12:54 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I'm going to be volunteering in T2 @ IMLOU from 3-6. I hope you don't forget a full bouquet of  flowers and a starbux gift card for me. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » WWBTD Volunteers Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

WWBTD?

Started by trishie
Views: 1241 Posts: 19

2009-06-10 4:32 PM sesh

WWBTD - Race Wheel Rentals

Started by jsnowash
Views: 2407 Posts: 14

2009-05-19 10:46 AM smalls82

WWBTD? New Bike

Started by Aikidoman
Views: 1598 Posts: 13

2009-04-29 12:20 PM graceful_dave

Volunteering- rules regarding the "karma of volunteering"

Started by joelkratzer
Views: 1068 Posts: 8

2007-03-28 4:19 PM coachese

WWBTD with this?

Started by jknapman
Views: 952 Posts: 4

2006-10-19 10:40 AM T in Liberty Lake
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 5, 2008
author : lmscozz
comments : 4
My experience as a volunteer at a sprint triathlon. My reasons for arising before the sun were not to work out, but to volunteer. I wanted to give back to a sport I’m learning to love.

date : February 8, 2007
author : mscotthall
comments : 0
Everyone and anyone that has ever raced in a triathlon should take it upon themselves to volunteer at just one event next season. It is an eye-opening and inspirational experience.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!