BBSC
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 03m 46s
Overall Rank = 54/130
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 14/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, messaged my friend Bernard to make sure he was awake. Made peanut butter and honey toasties and ate one while changing. Lubed with Body Glide and applied 3 layers of NewSkin on known blister problem areas in feet (left foot: big toe outside, underneath at joint, left side, right side of 2nd toe, inside and outside of pinky toe; right big toe outside and underneath at joint).
Event warmup:

Got to transition at 5:50 and set up. I was surprised to see as many 70.3 distance racers there. I thought it would be a very small field. Set up transition, got dressed, lubed up and went to take a dump. Applied sunscreen and got body marked. Put on wetsuit then noticed it was almost time for me to get to the start line. About 2/3rds of the way there Elisa noticed I didn't have my goggles on, so I had to rush back and get them, hehehe. I missed my wave so I started with the women 5 minutes later.
Swim
  • 23m 50s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

I stuck with the FOP and was feeling great and surged forward using the Clydesdales' wakes to catch up to the rest of the men. I remember a diagonal to the finish and used the police boat to guide me though and I exited the water with the FOP men.
What would you do differently?:

Not forget goggles.
Transition 1
  • 08m 32s
Comments:

Flip flops saved my feet, hehe. Walked fast to T1. I had trouble getting my wetsuit off which cost me some time. I calmed down and took it off and made sure I packed my nutrition and lubed myself well. Noticed how warm it already was so I reapplied sunscreen. It was a long way out of T1 to the bike mount.

Nothing. I wasn't trying to hurry up.
Bike
  • 3h 55m 7s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Executed race plan well first lap seeing my legs still felt strong. Saw my friend Bernard about 3-5 minutes ahead of me so that motivated me to increase my power output to catch him. But something happened to my stomach on the 2nd or 3rd long ascent after the turnaround for the 2nd lap. I felt nauseated the whole 2nd lap and had to drop my power output by 10% to make it through. The winds that picked up the last 10 miles did not help, hehe.

Try different nutrition on the bike. Perhaps Infinit?
Transition 2
  • 12m 29s
Comments:

Took my sweet time here since I was feeling like shit. I was about to head out but saw my friend Phil come in. He was in bad shape so I waited for him and pumped him up to not give up and run with me.

Reapply lube! I got chafed badly for skipping this step on the bike and T2.
Run
  • 3h 13m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

The desert heat at 90F and loose dirt and rocks on the trails made the run really challenging. I nearly rolled and twisted my angle 6 times. I had to keep my eyes focused on what was 10-20feet ahead of me to minimized hurting myself. Stomach problems did not go away until shortly after mile 7 and a half as I desperately clung to a run/walk ratio of 2:00/1:00 since my heart rate kept blowing up to Zone 4.

Resolve root cause to gastrointestinal problems.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched a bit. Was only able to drink and eat a banana. Took a couple turkey croissant sandwiches with me for later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Gastrointestinal problems.

Event comments:

Seeing this was BBSC first half Ironman distance race I'll try not to be so critical but I can't help it. There should have been at least 1 more bike aid station and 1 portapotty on the bike segment for those who needed it. Ice at run stations would have helped as well. Running mats between transition and the swim start/exit were missing this year. Why???

Last updated: 2016-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:50 | 1900 meters | 01m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 1/130
Performance: Good
High aerobic but never out of breath.
Suit: Roka Maveric Pro Fullsuit
Course: Rectangular course with big bouys used as turn bouys. I used the big police boats for sighting.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:55:07 | 56 miles | 14.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/17
Overall: 50/130
Performance: Below average
Hit 75%IF first lap and amped up by 5% 2nd.
Wind: Some
Course: 2 laps with long rolling hills. No flat segments at all. 7000ft total elevation gain.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 12:29
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:13:00 | 13.1 miles | 14m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/17
Overall: 60/130
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back on trails, smooth bike path for 2.5 miles, more trails, then turnaround near Hoover Dam.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2016-10-04 4:30 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Las Vegas Triathlon 70.3
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Vegas Triathlon 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Las Vegas Triathlon at Storrie Lake

Started by naisqu
Views: 1523 Posts: 6

2006-08-02 8:21 AM chile7473

Started by codytriguy
Views: 1374 Posts: 1

2006-03-01 6:28 PM codytriguy

Started by MorganD
Views: 1426 Posts: 2

2005-08-03 4:05 PM zia_cyclist

Las Vegas Triathlon

Started by zia_cyclist
Views: 869 Posts: 9

2005-08-03 10:15 PM markdills38

las vegas triathlon

Started by cristin1124
Views: 937 Posts: 6

2004-09-30 9:18 PM max
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 29, 2015
author : Seht
comments : 8
My race from obesity to Vineman 70.3

date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : July 9, 2007
author : roach
comments : 0
I got battered by the ocean in the swim but I had made it out...bruised and bloodied, but not beaten.