General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slowing down training runs.....Point of diminishing returns? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2016-10-10 7:58 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Slowing down training runs.....Point of diminishing returns?

Originally posted by TriMyBest
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by AdventureBear

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Nick BI would say that you do need to slow down to get your milage up but you still need to do your weekly speed work.

I completely disagree with the bolded part.  He's 52 and doing HIM and IM.  Running fast isn't really something that he needs in his toolbox at the moment.  Consistency, durability, recovery, and volume should be his primary concerns and adding speed work diminishes each and every one of those.

He's not in his 20's or 30's and trying to kill the local short course circuit.

What do you consider speed work here, as that can vary. Mostly seeing how this would work in with the polarized approach brought up earlier as that does have regular harder workouts.

Ben,

Yes, it can vary so let me elaborate.  I would consider speed work in the vein of doing track workouts.  Balls out 200, 300. 400 repeats and stuff like that.  There's no need for that in a 52 year old focusing on IM or HIM.  I don't mean it in terms of faster longer running like running 90 seconds faster than race pace for longer intervals.

I agree with this. Here is where it gets tricky for *some* people...the read 400, 800, 1200m repeats...and go toa track adn run those distances as fast as they can and risk injury. Most endurance athletes (52 yo focusing on IM or HIM) risk way too much to do traditional track work the same way we did then on track team in high school and college. But using a track to run measured, controlled paces anywhere from faster than 5k pace to 10k pace, to HIM pace, etc...is a fantastic way to add variety and speed safely. Many people see black and white when they hear "speed work". But interval work IMO is necessary and builds a better athlete when it comes to the run.

I agree that it's often the lost in translation approach to "track" workouts.  You're right.  Most people go into track workouts like they were 15-20 years old and just run as fast as they can.  When our tri club first started there was a decent sized group of people that would go to a local school to do track workouts.  I'm not sure anyone made it out of there injury free and it didn't last long.  It was a lot of newbies being lead by a contingent of people from running backgrounds and not tri backgrounds.  The stereotypical running workout mentality being wedged into tri training always makes me cringe.  It never works but I'll be darned if people don't try to do it anyway.

This is why I prefer the terms "pace work" or "pace intervals" instead of "speed work". People hear "speed" and think it means hammering out intervals as hard as possible. The word "pace" conveys the message better that the intervals are at specific intensity levels.

Agreed.  I would argue the only time a triathlete should ever run "all out" is during the kick of a run race, and even then you're not hitting your full speed.

I consider "speed work" anything quicker than my easy pace, so it could be work at (like I think Suzanne said above...) 5K, 10K, etc. race paces, all with different goals.

2016-10-10 11:33 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Subject: RE: Slowing down training runs.....Point of diminishing returns?
I didn't go back and read all the responses but I'll throw my .02 in here.

The point of diminishing returns for me is if all my runs get slow. So if you slow your long runs down in order to gain the distance you are in theory maintaining the intensity due to the length of the workout. There is a challenge in building endurance and gaining or maintaining speed. The way you do it though is through shorter more intense workouts. So on your shorter runs you want to be doing intervals that are above race pace.

Second point, it really surprised me that when I started training for triathlons my run volume decreased. But it did. When I was training for a stand alone marathon I would run 50-65 miles a week. When I switched to triathlon training even for Ironman my highest volume run weeks might hit 35 miles. But, then again I don't know what your goals are. I'm not winning my age group, yet.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slowing down training runs.....Point of diminishing returns? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Getting Down, Getting Down, Trying to ride the weight loss train to Kona

Started by vagus
Views: 1298 Posts: 1

2012-04-30 10:44 AM vagus

Diminishing returns while fatigued in the pool Pages: 1 2 3

Started by BernardDogs
Views: 4218 Posts: 73

2012-01-14 8:43 AM alath

running: higher heart rate when slowing down?

Started by feh
Views: 741 Posts: 6

2011-02-21 3:13 PM JeffY

How much is too much? (diminishing returns)

Started by cevans
Views: 1272 Posts: 20

2006-05-09 3:45 PM cevans

The point of no return!!!

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 598 Posts: 3

2006-01-11 7:49 AM O2BFast
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2006
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
Is there a point of diminishing returns? At some point, age catches up with us all. In general, as we age, VO2 max decreases, body fat increases, and muscular strength drops off.