General Discussion Triathlon Talk » breaking up a run to save the joints Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-10-07 11:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: breaking up a run to save the joints
This is a slightly different question to one I recently asked. Seems a good idea to do cover mpw with more frequent shorter runs than less, longer ones.

Is it different on the body to run a mile as run/walk, say 2mins/1 min, then it is to just run a mile. I can see that it would extend the time my body is moving which is good. Do sprint/oly distances, but haven't been very consistent, just survive races, and I let this summer get away from me.

I finally get that starting to train in March just doesn't cut it. I'm starting now, got my years worth of plans for summer 2017, but I'm scared. After two weeks of training I had to do nothing for a week to to let the pains go away. If I thought it wouldn't effect me I'd just push the the aches and pains, but I don't want to get sidelined down the road.
I should say I'm 57 this week. I can feel the difference. I used to return to working out (mostly lifting) and would be able to kick pretty easily.

Second question - I thought treating myself to new sneakers at a running store would be helpful. Serious over-pronator. Stability shoes and neutral arch inserts later and I'm having more trouble with ankles and knees. Could my legs need time to adjust to the corrective sneakers?

Edited by MuscleMomma 2016-10-07 11:08 PM

2016-10-08 7:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Subject: RE: breaking up a run to save the joints
I think run/walk is good alternative for starting out running, but I'm also going to post the link to Barry P's beginner running plan and then the link to ALL of his links. I don't really know much about your training or what you are attempting to do, but he starts you off at a level that you might be able to run without walking. Its important that you make sure you pace yourself and run at conversational pace. I'm not sure if you need to walk because you are pushing too hard and cramping up or if your legs just haven't adapted to running that far (I think TriMyBest explained the scientific reasons in the slowing down running thread, but I don't speak that language :D). Either way BarryP's plan should help you adapt aerobically and physically to longer runs. If you're running by HR I think its zone2/1 but I'm not positive.

Here's a small quote from BarryP's beginner run thread: "I personally like to schedule the week so that I?m running my medium runs on Tuesday and Thursday, and my long runs are on one of the weekend days. For someone just starting out, 5, 10, and 15 minute runs are typically a great place to start. So, starting on Monday, your week would look like this: 5 ? 10 ? 5 ? 10 ? 5 ? 15 ? 0. "

Direct link to beginner thread
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2434248;search_string=b...

Link to the thread with all of his links.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1612485;search_string=r...

EDIT: Just re-read your post. What types of pains are you talking about? Are you talking about muscle pain or specifically joint paint? If you are only having joint pains I'd only be guessing, but I would say maybe you are doing too much too soon. I really don't know though.

Edited by Lupy 2016-10-08 7:31 AM
2016-10-08 9:22 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

, Wisconsin
When I "restarted" running again at age 60, I started with run - walk intervals. I built up very gradually, in time running and cutting down the walking intervals. Now, 2+ years later, this still works well for me.

Also, as the previous poster noted, the Barry P plans seem extremely effective and well thought out as a great way to gradually and safely build running volume and ability.
2016-10-08 4:39 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I did an oly in 2015, but my training was so sporadic I didn't do any this summer - was tired of pulling up the rear.

Finally starting in enough time to be MOP. Ran a mile, 1.2miles, did a 2 miler with hills (walked toward top of hills). Didn't feel winded nor did I have any sore muscles, but then came little twitches of pain. That's what led me to go to a runners store and get the right kind of sneaker for me.

It's hard to do half a mile a day to get my body used to it, I want to do more. Just wondered if I can do more if I run/walk.
2016-10-09 9:50 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by MuscleMomma

I did an oly in 2015, but my training was so sporadic I didn't do any this summer - was tired of pulling up the rear.

Finally starting in enough time to be MOP. Ran a mile, 1.2miles, did a 2 miler with hills (walked toward top of hills). Didn't feel winded nor did I have any sore muscles, but then came little twitches of pain. That's what led me to go to a runners store and get the right kind of sneaker for me.

It's hard to do half a mile a day to get my body used to it, I want to do more. Just wondered if I can do more if I run/walk.

In a word, yes. The keys I believe are consistency and starting VERY easy, and building VERY gradually. Here’s what worked for me: I was told by the orthopedic docs after MRI eval etc. that running was definitely not recommended. Both of my knees were in rough shape and would need replacement at some point in the future. But, I got the idea that I wanted to do triathlon again after a roughly 30 year hiatus. I was doing a lot of long walks on the beach (1 to 3 hours) and some biking at the time

I started running every other day and it went something like this; walk 5 min, run very easy 3 min, repeat 3 times. The next time I repeated 4 times. After doing that a few times, I cut the walking breaks to 3 minutes. Soon I increased the run times to 4 minutes, then 5 minutes etc. Again, the keys were consistent and gradual build. I initially tried to increase my running time by about 10% per week, but after a month or two, slowed that progression down a bit. Within about 4 months time I was able to do a long continuous run of up to 5 miles, and I had completed my first sprint tri with a 5K run at about 9:20mi. Not fast by any means, but so much better than I had thought I could do just 4 months before. Now, about 2 ½ years later I have finished 7 more sprints with best run times around 8:50/mi, and a handful of open 5Ks at just slightly better pace. Thankfully my biking is better, but darn, my swim still lacks Anyway, just keep at it consistently but build slowly and with purpose and you might really surprise yourself. Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » breaking up a run to save the joints Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Warming up joints before a running race

Started by Aspiring
Views: 893 Posts: 15

2011-09-26 8:14 PM Blanda

Breaking long run into 2 runs Pages: 1 2

Started by TriBoilermaker
Views: 4760 Posts: 28

2011-08-11 4:42 PM jdbadger

Limiting impact on joints from runs

Started by LazyRiver
Views: 844 Posts: 4

2009-08-04 4:44 PM swgraham

Distance running and joint pain

Started by kpar
Views: 606 Posts: 6

2006-09-26 12:02 PM kpar

A 1st - broke 100 miles running, broke 7 min barrier in run

Started by jpb0009
Views: 1346 Posts: 9

2006-06-28 4:42 PM jpb0009
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Step-Up exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Often I also see an imbalance in the front muscles of the shoulder, such as the pectoralis, and the back muscles, such as the rotator cuff and shoulder blade stabilizers. I would recommend:
date : April 9, 2005
I'd noticed occasional pain in the back of my left leg once in a while when running. The pain is now running from my buttocks to the knee. I am having occasional back aches too.

date : April 9, 2005
Supplementing with glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health improvement for a member with a diagnosed chondromalacia patellar problem.