General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running for Heavy Triathletes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-10-10 9:14 PM

Subject: Running for Heavy Triathletes
I am a heavy triathlete (265 lbs 6'0). I feel that running is by far my weakest of the 3 sports. I can swim perpetually at around a 1:55/100 yard pace, Cycle between 15 mph - 18.5 mph depending on the terrain for hours but I simply can't run more then a few minutes. I'm not sure if this phenomenon is local to me specifically or shared by many heavier triathletes. I notice that as a lose weight, my pace slightly moves up but it's no were close to most peoples normal running pace. For example, I was doing a 16 or 17 minute mile at 300 lbs and now I do a little over a 15 minute mile.

I went to a running store and bought appropriate shoes. I knowingly actively avoid running and select to train the other two sports because every running day feels like an epic amount of effort has to be put forth. I am drawing the line in the sand and at the point were I am committing to doing a running work out 3 times a week.

I am looking for some advice from heavier runners how they trained their pace up?

2016-10-10 9:48 PM
in reply to: dnewman84

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Running for Heavy Triathletes
I'm pretty sure the accepted formula is something like 2 sec's/#/mi. In other words, you can expect to run 2 seconds faster per mile....for every pound you are lighter. That's a delta of a whole > minute, if you lost 10 pounds......for a 5K.

I consider myself a heavy triathlete at 190#'s. I know what a hot 70.3 does to me (now). I realized I need to lose weight. You have t be honest with yourself, if you're going to compare your times with other triathletes. You'd need to compare your size to them, also.
2016-10-10 10:53 PM

User image

I'm 6'2" and topped out at 275 a few years back.  Never raced at that weight, but did race in the 240 pound range.  My run never seemed to improve

I now race at 185-190.   I raced for probably 5 years in the 220-240 range, then got sick of being heavy, or being able to use weight as an excuse for lack of performance, and I took action.  I now love to run. I',m still not "fast" compared to a lot of runners, but at 50 I'm running better than I was at 40.

The best thing you can do for your running, even more than running more, is lose weight.  IMO, having been there.

2016-10-10 10:59 PM
in reply to: nc452010

Thanks for the reply. I totally understand that I need to have realistic expectations of what I can physically do at my weight. I feel like I can keep up with others that weight much less then me on the other two sports but is a significantly greater challenge for me.

That's a helpful rule you pointed out that should give me a frame of reference to try to take into account my additional lbs when measuring my performance vs others of much lesser weight. It should also help me in estimating what my pace could be after dropping additional lbs.

I do know that I want to train the running engine as much as possible even with my high weight. I do know if I waited to start doing more physical activity till I was a more reasonable weight, I would probably still wouldn't have started.
2016-10-10 11:09 PM

User image

I do know if I waited to start doing more physical activity till I was a more reasonable weight, I would probably still wouldn't have started.

Just so you're clear, this is not my advice (to wait before doing physical activity).

2016-10-10 11:15 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

I actually replied before I even saw your first post. I do agree with you. The best thing I can do is continue to lose weight because I can't put the weight on wheels like when I bike .

BTW - I really like your quote at he bottom.

2016-10-11 5:13 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
The beauty is......there's no need to wait. In fact, the best way to lose the weight......is to run, more. You don't need or WANT to run fast (to lose weight).
2016-10-11 6:20 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I started Triathlon at 6'6" around 250-260# about 4 years ago. Lots of muscle (ok, fat too) from serious weight lifting only and then decided to do a tri. I hate, hate, HATED running at that larger size. I started out thinking fast is the only route so I went out and absolutely killed myself for a mile at an 8 minute pace or something and said to myself "That's the slowest I'll ever run, I'm going to kick running's ." After maybe a month of on and off running at near maximum effort every time one day I pulled up lame (hammy) then noticed my foot hurt too, and countless other little things kept popping up so I started reading up on proper run training. Lots of slow, slow, slooooow runs worked wonders for me. Slow to the point where I questioned the quality of the workout but I just kept at it and eventually the pace started melting. Coming from weight lifting I always searched for that post workout burn and these 12 min/miles weren't doing it for me so after say a 30 minute "run" I would do some yoga or core work or even light-weight workouts which did a lot for my weight loss. It sounds like you have the drive to do it, just keep plugging away, listen to your body and try to enjoy the journey. I look at runs now as my time away. I reflect on the day, clear my head and look out at the stars (I run at night) and find it very relaxing as I do the majority of my runs at an easy Z2 pace and just listen to my breathing and the sound of my feet on the pavement as I'm out there solo enjoying the night.
2016-10-11 2:46 PM

User image

Originally posted by dnewman84 I actually replied before I even saw your first post. I do agree with you. The best thing I can do is continue to lose weight because I can't put the weight on wheels like when I bike . BTW - I really like your quote at he bottom.

Good luck on your journey!   I found the my fitness pal app to be very helpful in losing the weight.

Chris

2016-10-11 6:21 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by dnewman84 I actually replied before I even saw your first post. I do agree with you. The best thing I can do is continue to lose weight because I can't put the weight on wheels like when I bike . BTW - I really like your quote at he bottom.

Good luck on your journey!   I found the my fitness pal app to be very helpful in losing the weight.

Chris

X2 on tracking. I struggle still with it as I have been as low as 205 and as high as 292 over the last 6 years. At 6'3" I am in the same boat. I did the Ga marathon last year at 240 and although I managed to hit my target of less than 3:55 I paid for it for days after at that weight, at least my knees did.

Run slow, often and you will be surprised at your results.
2016-10-11 7:03 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by dnewman84
I feel like I can keep up with others that weight much less then me on the other two sports but is a significantly greater challenge for me.

Yep, I'm 5'11" and 230, I know what you mean. Did you happen to notice that swim and bike are less effected by gravity than running?

My PR sprint (1:22) race was at 207#. I'm still trying to get back to where I was.

2016-10-11 9:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by dnewman84

Thanks for the reply. I totally understand that I need to have realistic expectations of what I can physically do at my weight. I feel like I can keep up with others that weight much less then me on the other two sports but is a significantly greater challenge for me.

That's a helpful rule you pointed out that should give me a frame of reference to try to take into account my additional lbs when measuring my performance vs others of much lesser weight. It should also help me in estimating what my pace could be after dropping additional lbs.

I do know that I want to train the running engine as much as possible even with my high weight. I do know if I waited to start doing more physical activity till I was a more reasonable weight, I would probably still wouldn't have started.

Most people will burn more calories speed walking than running at the same pace, and there is far less impact on the body. If I were in your shoes (and I've been in a similar palce...topped out at 174 & 5'2" durign recovery from a bad neck injury after a car accident...no way I could even think of running but I walked a lot. Slowly as my neck injury stabilized & I could move better, I swam more, got motivated, did whole30 for 2 months, lost 15 lbs and I have just resumed "running" which looks like 20seconds jog, 1 minute walk, repeat...but it's way more than what I was doing 3, 6 or 12 months ago. nothign close to what I used to do as a former high school & collegiate soccer player, but I can't compare myself to who I used to be, only keep movign forward with who I am now. Now that I'm on a positive fitness& health trajectory, it's a lot easier to give advice. I probably would not have addressed this question 6 months ago as I was too down on myself for being in a similar position as you describe.

last week I swam 4 times, biked 2 x, ran 2 x, and hiked 1x....more physical activity I've done ina week in over 18 months. Feels great.

PS...for some perspective about how far I had "fallen" from fitness grace, my avatar here in BT is taken from the top of Long's Peak in CO...about 6 years ago. running for 20 seconds seems like forever away from being "fit"...but it's forward progress.

One step at a time. Get your other health aspects under the microscope as well (sleep, nutrition, stress) and you'll continue to improve.

Edited by AdventureBear 2016-10-11 9:49 PM
2016-10-12 4:38 PM

User image

Spokane, Washington

I'm neither a triathlete or a runner, but as a guy who went from 295 to (so far) 225, I can give you some perspective. I'm 6' tall and weighed 295. I could not run, firstly because it hurt my knees (I have chondromalacia in both knees) plus I was just plain out of shape.

I started out by walking. 3 miles every other day and then went to 5 days a week. I also, most importantly, changed my diet. Once I was down to 275, I was able to run short distances. I won't go into the details but over the course of the last year (almost to the day) I've went from hardly walking to running up to 6 miles. Big deal right? But it's huge for me. I'm still not fast, don't run enough but I've lost 70lbs. Granted I've done quite a bit of cycling during that time frame as well. Anyway...it's about 90% diet at the start. Where I'm at now, it's about 95%-97% diet. The running I do now, while still slow and plodding is way easier at my lower (but still fat) weight.

I guess if I was in your shoes I'd go back to basics and start walking (at a fast pace) 3 miles everyday. Since you already have a level of fitness I'd go back to walking until I was down to a 15 minute mile (which was where I was at). Then maybe start again from scratch with the C25K program or whatever smarter people on here and running boards recommend. Then you can move up from there.

Most of all you have to clean up the diet. I used MFP to track my calories. When you honestly track them you'd be surprised at just how much you really do eat (for me it was 4-5 cans of Coke a day that killed me). Eat better and the weight will come off. And by better I mean eat less. A lot less. No need to demonize food...just practice moderation. You already know what's healthy and what to stay away from. Stay away from fads, focus on whole life changes (when it comes to eating) and then pick up on the walk/run thing again.

Good luck to you!

Edited by Aplcr0331 2016-10-12 4:39 PM
2016-10-13 7:23 AM

User image

First of all, congrats what you've already accomplished. You've lost a lot of weight, improved your overall fitness dramatically, and even improved your run speed a bit. You are still dissatisfied, however, with the current state of your running. So I would ask, "What's your goal?" I find it easier to make progress if I have a goal in mind, one that is objectively measurable. Are you looking for a particular mile time or 5 k time or distance you'd like to be able to run without having to walk? Identify where you want to get, it'll be easier for others to give you advice how to get there. You may even find that once you've established an objective, you already have the necessary knowledge to achieve it.

One recommendation I would make would be to train on a rubberized track at a nearby school, if possible. It's easier on your joints, allows for easier intermediate progress tracking (both within a workout, and workout to workout), and facilitates accurate distance interval training.

2016-10-13 2:17 PM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by gary p
One recommendation I would make would be to train on a rubberized track at a nearby school, if possible. It's easier on your joints, allows for easier intermediate progress tracking (both within a workout, and workout to workout), and facilitates accurate distance interval training.

Good idea, or use a treadmill. Easy on the points and will keep you honest on pacing.
2016-10-13 3:44 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

Originally posted by Oysterboy

Good idea, or use a treadmill. Easy on the points and will keep you honest on pacing.

I was 305 at the top end, with zero fitness when my journey started.
Signed up for a tri, not having "run" any distance.
I was probably 65 lbs into my 100+ weightloss even when I tried to run. The plan was 2 miles.
I think I got about 300 yards before I was walking. Went another 400 yards before I bagged it and went home.

Part of it...was 'boredom' or 'stick your head down and run'. Kind of like swimming for me. I was a good swimmer....for 100 yards. I'd never "swum good" for more than 2 minutes straight.

For me, running and swimming....the biggest battle was just 'doing it' for an extended period and not bagging it.
I had been doing a lot of cardio...A TON of it....at that point in time. But no running. I'd do an hour on an Arc Trainer, but couldn't run outside.
I had a desire to run outside. See things. Smell air. Be able to do it anywhere, any time. Hot, cold, rainy. No gym access.
I started by cutting back a few minutes at a time on the Arc Trainer and switching to the treadmill. The treadmill felt easy after the Arc Trainer.

A month or two later and I could run for extended periods. Same with the swimming. Do it regularly, even in doses, and the magic happens.

I lost my weight through lots of exercise....and food tracking. sparkpeople.com was my drug of choice. It became a game.
Eat right, get points. Exercise, get points. Hit goals, get points. And pretty soon, my little ribbon in the corner went from green to red!!!!
And I was losing weight.

2016-10-13 9:44 PM

Thanks all for the replies. I agree with the sense everyone is bringing that weight loss will is the biggest factor. I keep a myfitnesspal. I'm continuing the weight loss journey (down 75 lbs today from my peak weight) but I'm still committed to trying to run in small intervals for as long as possible. I downloaded the running for weight loss app from the google play store and I found it to be a good pace for me at the start. It tells me to run 1 min or 1:30 and then walk 2 mins to recover. I am finding that this beginning slow pace works for me. I hope to eventually train the pace up to faster (Hope i can keep up with the daily app program).

jonD81 - Thanks for your reply. I agree with you that I try to pace myself at a level that is appropriate to me. I also try to run during off times solo

Oysterboy - your 100% correct. Gravity is a killer...wonder if I can do a triathlon in space...I would be on a more level playing field

AdventureBear - Very cool photo. I hope to have one similar one day!..I saw the total immersion in your signature. I would like to say that without a doubt TI changed my swimming night and day. I watched TI videos and took a TI clinic and it has truely helped me and taught me a way that I could perpetually swim at my ability and fitness level. I look forward to the swimming just as much as the bike now

Aplcr0331 - You are the same height as me. I started at 337 lbs. I weighted myself today and weighted in at 262 so you are a good bit ahead of me in your weight loss journey. 6 miles is a huge deal! congrats! I hope to achieve what you have someday. I am continuing to track ever calorie that I eat like was suggested. Thanks again for your reply!

gary p - Your right that I should have a goal rather then simply "run better". Taking a hard look at my end goal, I think I would be happy when I can pace at a 10 min mile for a half a marathon. I do know that to achive this goal it must be broken up into small goals for me. I haven't run/walked over 6.5 miles in one sitting or achieved better then a high 13 mile mile. Your reply has be thinking that I should take a more stuctured approach and make little goals for myself to eventually achieve my bigger goal (thanks!). Good recommendation on the rubberized track. I will look for one around me. I have been doing my workouts on Pavement.

jhaack39 - I learned I need ebooks or music on my solo workouts or I can't mentally stomach more then 30 mins or so. I cycle on a trail with no cars, swim in a pool (waterproof mp3 player) and run on a rack to have a level of safety. The Total immersion method of swimming changed my perspective on swimming and allowed it to be something that I really enjoy. Like sparkpeople, strava is my game of choice. I belong to a group of people with similar BMI's as me and we publish our workouts to motivate each other. Thanks for your reply!

Edited by dnewman84 2016-10-13 9:46 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running for Heavy Triathletes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running when you are heavy... Pages: 1 2

Started by Photo Mike
Views: 2377 Posts: 26

2010-11-06 10:50 AM flip18436572

Too heavy to run....

Started by ADKSasquatch
Views: 3625 Posts: 15

2010-06-13 7:02 PM Chaderbox

Heavy legs during run

Started by Daugela
Views: 2379 Posts: 8

2007-03-09 9:40 AM Daugela

Heavy Breathing While Running

Started by runnergirl29
Views: 6293 Posts: 18

2006-03-29 9:31 AM runnergirl29

Running when your heavier than you should be.

Started by satchmo72
Views: 1096 Posts: 17

2004-10-06 6:08 PM scuba-punk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 31, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Is 180 the magic number?

date : June 28, 2016
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Bike position for triathletes: back, legs, abs, arms and more
date : April 29, 2016
author : Nancy Clark
A healthy weight for runners

date : September 25, 2014
author : NickSuffredin
comments : 1
What should you do if you train in hot weather and you sweat a lot? Do you drink more water, more sports drink...what about electrolyte supplements? Use this guide to enhance your training.
date : August 13, 2014
author : Enduropacks.com
comments : 4
I drink during my runs but I am a profuse sweater and it seems like I just can't keep up with my fluid needs. Would it be helpful to switch to an electrolyte drink for my fluid needs?

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : September 25, 2007
author : mrakes1
Are you a heavy sweater? Do you finish a race covered in white-streaks? Do you cramp during a race? Than this article is for you.

date : June 14, 2005
author : docgill
comments : 10
One year ago I was 90 pounds heavier and dreaming of being able to walk without a wobble. I never considered doing a triathlon.