General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT Band - Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-10-12 10:05 PM

User image

Connecticut
Subject: IT Band - Questions
So right after my A race this year I started getting minor but consistent pain in my left knee. Went to an ortho, told it was IT band. ortho set me up with PT.

Went through PT and the knee started feeling better, did a 5k on the 2nd. Took a week off and started running again on Monday.

My right knee blew up. Pain is in the same place, but so bad I can't run through it. The left knee I could run through.

(I did buy new "winter" running shoes this weekend, going to try to run in the morning in my old shoes and see if that changes)

Does anyone know if this is the type of thing that switches knees? Or over compensation for one knee causing it in the other, but 100x worse?

2016-10-13 7:29 AM
in reply to: kmonie360

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: IT Band - Questions
I went through IT issue 3 years ago, if you try to run through this you'll be sorry. I had to take a month off of running completely but was still able to bike and swim.

Stretches and a foam roller it what brought me back, along with some leg exercises to help some weaker muscles that us triathletes don't use much. If it happened on one leg chances are that the other one is not far behind, so yes I could see if you try pushing through it happening to the other leg.

Stretch, roll, strengthen, and try not to come back to fast.
2016-10-13 7:54 AM
in reply to: #5201722

User image

Connecticut
So I ran with my old shoes this morning, def felt it but if the pain I felt yesterday was an 8. This was a 2. Insane. I can feel the difference in my foot strike.

I'll be properly fit to shoes later today.
2016-10-13 8:03 AM
in reply to: kmonie360

User image

New user
Here's my experience and general understanding of IT Band issues....
I was side-lined for a few months, 3 years ago after running a half marathon on not nearly enough run volume.

I went to PT and after rehab and not overreaching in my training (i.e. ramping up run miles appropriately) have been injury free.

The PT indicated that IT band problems are generally related to some sort of muscle imbalance that causes the IT band, which runs from illeum in hip to tibia in leg to tighten. It was described to me like a rubber band. I was prescribed strengthening exercises for my glutes and hips as well as stretches and foam rolling to strengthen the muscles that counterbalance my quads.

What did your PT recommend during your visits? I'm happy to share some of the exercises and stretches that worked for me but bear in mind I'm not a medical professional...just someone who has shared in your misery of IT Band issues!

Best,
Bryan

2016-10-13 9:12 AM
in reply to: swimbikerun81

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by swimbikerun81 Here's my experience and general understanding of IT Band issues.... I was side-lined for a few months, 3 years ago after running a half marathon on not nearly enough run volume. I went to PT and after rehab and not overreaching in my training (i.e. ramping up run miles appropriately) have been injury free. The PT indicated that IT band problems are generally related to some sort of muscle imbalance that causes the IT band, which runs from illeum in hip to tibia in leg to tighten. It was described to me like a rubber band. I was prescribed strengthening exercises for my glutes and hips as well as stretches and foam rolling to strengthen the muscles that counterbalance my quads. What did your PT recommend during your visits? I'm happy to share some of the exercises and stretches that worked for me but bear in mind I'm not a medical professional...just someone who has shared in your misery of IT Band issues! Best, Bryan

Was the race you did, or the run right before symptoms flared, on a surface with a cross slope (crowned road)?  That can cause all sorts of issues to pop up quickly.  I'd also encourage you to have the right knee checked for a positive diagnosis.

Assuming it's ITBS...

^^^Bryan's on the right track.  Especially the bold parts^^^

The good news is that of the most common running injuries, IME, ITBS is the one you want to have.  It's generally the easier to address and heals more quickly than PF, plus it's usually possible to keep training to an extent.

Strength training for the gluteus medius, rest, stretching & rolling, and NSAIDS can usually resolve it in a matter of a few weeks, if it's addressed soon after the onset of symptoms.

After it's better, continue with the strength training to prevent recurrence.

2016-10-13 3:20 PM
in reply to: swimbikerun81

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by swimbikerun81 Here's my experience and general understanding of IT Band issues.... I was side-lined for a few months, 3 years ago after running a half marathon on not nearly enough run volume. I went to PT and after rehab and not overreaching in my training (i.e. ramping up run miles appropriately) have been injury free. The PT indicated that IT band problems are generally related to some sort of muscle imbalance that causes the IT band, which runs from illeum in hip to tibia in leg to tighten. It was described to me like a rubber band. I was prescribed strengthening exercises for my glutes and hips as well as stretches and foam rolling to strengthen the muscles that counterbalance my quads. What did your PT recommend during your visits? I'm happy to share some of the exercises and stretches that worked for me but bear in mind I'm not a medical professional...just someone who has shared in your misery of IT Band issues! Best, Bryan

My experience was very similar - for me the imbalance/weakness was particular to my hips and low back. Patience is a big factor in this one. Do the exercises and stretches given to you. 

I also took fairly substantial time off and then eased back in pretty conservatively. 

I did find many of the exercises and stretches given by PT are found in yoga and pilates so some short videos are great for maintenance later.

Good news is that my ITBS was back in late 2006-2007 and i have been running pain free since then (4 marathons, an IM and 4 HIMs, pregnancy) . Every once in a while my hip feels tight and the ITB nags so i foam roll more and go to yoga.

(Also be careful on your bike fit, training for long distance made my ITB nag due to poor fit

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT Band - Questions Rss Feed