General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bald tire dilemma on vintage bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-10-14 8:18 AM

Sarasota, Florida
Subject: Bald tire dilemma on vintage bike
Im racing an old vintage bicycle with 27" 1 1/4 on hookless rims. The originals are bald so i replaced them but the tire kept popping off in the middle of labeled psi. I can only pump them up 5 below psi which feels poor. At 70psi they look fine for a couple minutes but slowly stretch and begin to show beads. I can't find any wired tires without ordering these but race is this weekend. Maybe I'll continue calling around but not sure how rare these are. So do i put the bald tires back on or try riding these at lower psi? No wire is showing on the baldys but if it's wet im screwed. Either way im nervous and have limited experience. Looking for a place i might be able to overnight tires.

2016-10-14 2:48 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Bald tire dilemma on vintage bike

Originally posted by runtim23 ...but if it's wet im screwed. 

Please explain.

Old tires aren't an issue because of a lack of tread, but because of the drying out of the tread/sidewalls and potential cracking. Bald tires, even at 1-1/8" width, are fine even in the wet. The contact patch isn't large enough to cause hydroplaning.

You need tires specific to a hookless rim, or replace the rims as well.

2016-10-14 4:54 PM
in reply to: #5201890

Sarasota, Florida
Subject: RE: Bald tire dilemma on vintage bike
That makes sense because they looked bald when i bought it but the sidewall and beading has become brittle. I have crashed twice in rain. Finally used to the handling or complete lack thereof while turning in water and sand.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bald tire dilemma on vintage bike Rss Feed