General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rhomboid pain and back spasms Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-10-16 9:20 AM

Subject: Rhomboid pain and back spasms
Hi,

About 3-4 months ago I somehow injured my right rhomboid (not sure if major or minor) pretty severely. There's a lot of pain when I lie down and a large percentage of my back will spasm if I lift my arm above my head. I also experience a small amount of pain after 30-45 minutes of running, but the real pain comes at night when I lie down the night after a run. I can't swim freestyle without my whole back spasming, but I can swim breaststroke with no issues whatsoever. I've been to a couple of physios and they haven't been able to help. My wife seems to think it might be related to my posture and I'm somewhat inclined to agree. I've been icing and heating and massaging, but I just can't kick this injury.

Tris are just not happening in my near with without running and only being able to swim breast stroke.

Has anyone here experienced similar symptoms? If anyone has had this problem and recovered, what did you do? If it healed with primarily the passage of time, how long did it take?

Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated.

2016-10-16 6:42 PM
in reply to: JCZ

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: Rhomboid pain and back spasms
Let me tell you. I spent years in weight training and competition and been in multi sport for 2 years now. I have had multiple partial tears of muscles, tendons and ligaments. Get an accurate diagnosis and do the proper range of motion resistance exercises to correct.....and......ACUPUNCTURE with a qualified practitioner. I swear by it
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rhomboid pain and back spasms Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

lower back pain and groin pain

Started by CAOP1231
Views: 1414 Posts: 3

2010-12-05 9:19 PM treadster

Asking for Professional Opinions on a Back Spasm

Started by Selachophobia
Views: 706 Posts: 1

2007-09-21 8:36 AM Selachophobia

Low back pain and swimming

Started by vmr719
Views: 1156 Posts: 8

2005-08-08 7:10 AM Rowdy

Swimming and Neck/Back Pain!!??

Started by tydarby
Views: 1161 Posts: 7

2005-07-18 10:11 PM saber

Back pain from dehydration?

Started by Fargo296
Views: 1062 Posts: 4

2004-11-10 7:32 PM gr8brindle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2016
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Female triathlete wonders if unprecedented back spasms are related to menstrual period.

date : August 31, 2015
I have been having pain slightly to the right side of my back for the past month. I am worried about my upcoming IM and having to climb hills and be on the bike for 7+ hours!
date : March 17, 2015
Can you give me any information as to why those muscles are still feeling sore and if this will affect my training long term? I'm planning on doing a full Ironman in 2016.

date : December 14, 2011
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?
date : March 23, 2011
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.

date : January 17, 2011
comments : 2
Can running worsen spinal stenosis? Is it possible to compete in triathlons with this condition?
date : May 25, 2009
comments : 1
I started playing basketball three times a week in addition to running and biking. Now, whenever I run any distance, the next day, I can hardly sit in my chair at work.

date : October 1, 2006
Muscle spasms and cramps are a fairly common event associated with increased training. The cramps and spasms are usually harmless and have no long-term problems.