General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hill Repeats - Q's for Runners Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-10-19 8:13 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Subject: Hill Repeats - Q's for Runners
I've added a regular hill run into my training (primarily running at the moment) and did the first one on Monday.

I've got access to a hill that's about 200 yards long and pretty steady and steep near my office that I think is perfect for a lunch hill workout (best part is no cars!). My question is, when you run hill repeats (for those of you that do) do you go all out like you would in a speed workout or do you just run up and down it at race pace or even a comfortable pace? Do you change it up?

Monday I went all out which seems right, and has left my legs feeling gassed for a couple of days now, but I'd like more input.

Would also be curious how many repeats you'd recommend working up to for someone who's training for a marathon in February? I should peak at about 45 miles a week in January. Running in the upper 20s right now each week. Long run this weekend will be 13 miles. Monday's run was a 1/2 mile tempo warmup running to the hill, 4x up and down (one mile exactly), and a half mile tempo back to the office for a total of 2 miles.

2016-10-19 8:31 AM
in reply to: marti038

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Hill Repeats - Q's for Runners

I basically follow flat ground workouts from tempo to faster intervals, and just do them on a hill. Have still followed the same time & effort as best I can translate it. At 200 yds, that would probably limit to the faster end of things.

2016-10-19 8:43 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

^^^  What Ben said. Mine tend to follow 3-5' (figure 1/2 mile-ish) and I make them an interval workout (VO2 max).  I would love to do a tempo one (20' or so) but it's hard to find hills that long here in Baltimore. 

For 200 yards, you're pretty limited to true "speed" work unless you can somehow do very fast repeats without much rest.

2016-10-19 3:57 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
be careful on hill repeats.

you can develop stress fractures in your toes, and also tear your hip flexors and Achilles

just saying from experience
2016-10-20 7:26 AM
in reply to: metafizx

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by metafizx be careful on hill repeats. you can develop stress fractures in your toes, and also tear your hip flexors and Achilles just saying from experience

That does bring up something to be careful of. Take a few of these workouts to fully get into it. See what happens in the early reps going moderate at first. Mayb pick it up a little more in the later ones. See how your body responds over the next few days. Over the next few times you'll be able to hone in better on how hard to go throughout. Don't have to nail it from the outset.

2016-10-20 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by marti038

I've added a regular hill run into my training (primarily running at the moment) and did the first one on Monday.

I've got access to a hill that's about 200 yards long and pretty steady and steep near my office that I think is perfect for a lunch hill workout (best part is no cars!). My question is, when you run hill repeats (for those of you that do) do you go all out like you would in a speed workout or do you just run up and down it at race pace or even a comfortable pace? Do you change it up?

Monday I went all out which seems right, and has left my legs feeling gassed for a couple of days now, but I'd like more input.

Would also be curious how many repeats you'd recommend working up to for someone who's training for a marathon in February? I should peak at about 45 miles a week in January. Running in the upper 20s right now each week. Long run this weekend will be 13 miles. Monday's run was a 1/2 mile tempo warmup running to the hill, 4x up and down (one mile exactly), and a half mile tempo back to the office for a total of 2 miles.

Go at a pac/effort that you can consistently managed for all reps. Also walking down, or very lightly jogging down to allow for FULL RECOVERY is key. People have this sill mentality that if they need to walk during a hard set, or their overall pace on the run slows too much they are not getting any benefit or adaption.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hill Repeats - Q's for Runners Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hill Repeats - workout suggestion

Started by Trail_Runner
Views: 1036 Posts: 10

2008-04-22 7:15 PM monkeyboy64

What's a hill repeat?

Started by sealiongirl
Views: 829 Posts: 7

2008-03-06 12:56 PM ninecrushes

Is this an OK hill repeat?

Started by madkat
Views: 771 Posts: 6

2006-08-09 2:59 PM BeCivil

Question re Hill Repeats

Started by CalgaryRunner
Views: 720 Posts: 4

2006-04-27 10:23 AM surfwallace

Bike Q's and pedal Q's

Started by Crash_Man
Views: 1005 Posts: 12

2004-10-26 5:13 AM Motivated
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 20, 2007
comments : 0
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : May 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
The soreness still develops during/after strides. I have no problem during or after hill repeats. Any recommendations concerning stretching or specific strength exercises that might help?
date : February 19, 2007
author : Total Immersion
Average performers tend to feel they’re getting the job done if they grind out long sets of freestyle repeats. But too often that just means the same freestyle stroke imprinted thousands of times.

date : January 10, 2005
author : mikericci
The misconception of LSD is that it’s easy. What I have learned over the years is that LSD or "running slow" is relative to each person.
date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.

date : October 17, 2004
author : mbologna
One way to improve your speed is to do track work that totals the time and distance goal. The idea is to slowly condition your body to be comfortable at your goal pace.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle