General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PPD Ironman North Carolina Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-10-20 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Subject: PPD Ironman North Carolina

Saw a lot of feedback on Facebook about the bike course being shorten to one 50 mile loop for the IM event in Wilmington due to the impact of Hurricane Mathew.

If this was your first IM, would you look to do another IM race with full bike course?

2016-10-20 10:19 AM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Subject: RE: PPD Ironman North Carolina

Not racing personally.  But wanted to give a shout out to AdventureBear..  Went on the IMNC facebook page to read some of the comments I had heard about.  Noticed AB commenting on there trying to calm the masses with some sage advice. 

2016-10-20 10:40 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Not racing personally.  But wanted to give a shout out to AdventureBear..  Went on the IMNC facebook page to read some of the comments I had heard about.  Noticed AB commenting on there trying to calm the masses with some sage advice. 

X2

And some good posts from Bryan Deitz (formerly BryanCD here before banned )

The level of narcissism and entitlement of some of those posts is unbelievable.  "Yeah, sorry about your house being destroyed by the floods and all, but could you hurry up and clean it up so we can race through your town?"

2016-10-20 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Not racing either. I did the course two years ago and feel bad for the athletes but also understand reasons behind decision.
2016-10-20 11:22 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

"And some good posts from Bryan Deitz (formerly BryanCD here before banned )"

What did Bryan get booted for?  His rants on ST are why I went to the FB page to read the comments

2016-10-20 11:24 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

X2

And some good posts from Bryan Deitz (formerly BryanCD here before banned )

The level of narcissism and entitlement of some of those posts is unbelievable.  "Yeah, sorry about your house being destroyed by the floods and all, but could you hurry up and clean it up so we can race through your town?"

That's a different Brian. But yeah, some people on that page need to understand some simple perspective.

2016-10-20 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

"And some good posts from Bryan Deitz (formerly BryanCD here before banned )"

What did Bryan get booted for?  His rants on ST are why I went to the FB page to read the comments

Me, too. 

As for why he was banned, not totally sure but it involved some disagreements with management as to what we're allowed to or supposed to post here on BT. 

2016-10-24 8:04 AM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

I did the race. It was supposed to be my first full IM. The bike ended up being 56 miles, which was disappointing because the bike is my best leg. The race was still challenging, but when I crossed the finish line, despite hearing my name and "you are an Ironman", I felt that, no, I wasn't.

I am looking to do a full distance race next year, but it doesn't need to be branded. Honestly, the branded experience wasn't particularly better than some of the independent races that I have done. I was particularly bothered by only having 4 port-a-potties on the entire bike course for 4000 people. I lost 11 minutes waiting in line for one. There were a few other things that I thought were particularly cheap on the part of WTC, but those are in no way a reflection on Wilmington or the people there.

I will add that I am not normally a beach person, but if they were all like Wrightsville I might be. It was the best beach that I have ever visited (far better than any in Florida). Also, the area has a lot to offer for good restaurants and such.
2016-10-24 2:20 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

Originally posted by happyscientist

I did the race. It was supposed to be my first full IM. The bike ended up being 56 miles, which was disappointing because the bike is my best leg. The race was still challenging, but when I crossed the finish line, despite hearing my name and "you are an Ironman", I felt that, no, I wasn't.

I am looking to do a full distance race next year, but it doesn't need to be branded. Honestly, the branded experience wasn't particularly better than some of the independent races that I have done. I was particularly bothered by only having 4 port-a-potties on the entire bike course for 4000 people. I lost 11 minutes waiting in line for one. There were a few other things that I thought were particularly cheap on the part of WTC, but those are in no way a reflection on Wilmington or the people there.

I will add that I am not normally a beach person, but if they were all like Wrightsville I might be. It was the best beach that I have ever visited (far better than any in Florida). Also, the area has a lot to offer for good restaurants and such.

I've only done HIMs with WTC including PPD NC and I swear there were more porta potties in my other WTC races. 11 minutes?!? That's crazy. As a HIM athlete traveling alone I wasn't happy that their shuttle from downtown to T1 only ran from 4:00 to 5:30am race morning and considering the HIM swim start first wave was 8:30 and the first HIM shuttle from T1 to the swim start started at 6:45 they should have had the shuttles running longer.

Sounds like you're a stronger cyclists than I. Especially with that wind I was happy for the bike to to be done.
2016-10-24 3:14 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

shhhhh Wrightsville is supposed to be a secrete.
2016-10-24 3:45 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Originally posted by TriTampa2

I've only done HIMs with WTC including PPD NC and I swear there were more porta potties in my other WTC races. 11 minutes?!? That's crazy. As a HIM athlete traveling alone I wasn't happy that their shuttle from downtown to T1 only ran from 4:00 to 5:30am race morning and considering the HIM swim start first wave was 8:30 and the first HIM shuttle from T1 to the swim start started at 6:45 they should have had the shuttles running longer.

Sounds like you're a stronger cyclists than I. Especially with that wind I was happy for the bike to to be done.

Yep. 11 minutes. I also spent three minutes putting my water bottle cage back on when it started coming off, but that wasn't on anyone but me. The delays put my bike at 3:09. I looked back at my cadence and power data, and I was pleasantly surprised with how steady I held both of those, despite my speed fluctuating between 12 and 27 mph, depending on wind.

I am surprised that the shuttles didn't run longer from downtown for the swim start of the half. That is a long time to make you stand around. I bet someone selling coffee could have done a good business. My husband was with me, and we stayed close to T1, so he just had to get me there in the morning. It worked out well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PPD Ironman North Carolina Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

North Carolina 140.6

Started by Limewhite
Views: 1281 Posts: 13

2016-08-08 2:36 PM nc452010

Training Software - Garmin & Polar (hrm & ppd)

Started by krash478
Views: 4507 Posts: 2

2010-12-08 8:00 AM jmkizer

Good bike shops in Charlotte North Carolina

Started by kmarzano
Views: 1209 Posts: 6

2006-05-07 3:10 PM kmarzano

Swim Coaches in North Carolina

Started by brain_bliss
Views: 633 Posts: 5

2006-04-23 7:43 AM brain_bliss

What is your deal, North Carolina?!?! Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 1877 Posts: 28

2006-01-17 10:19 PM coffee-sipper
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.