Vancouver, British Columbia
Canada
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 58m 10s
Overall Rank = 1248/5268
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 72/497
Pre-race routine:

Got to site early to get parking. Lots of time to drop gear bag and get warmed up. Had to work at getting loose after yesterday. Decided that I was going to go for a 1:54; PR is 1:55, so unlikely to happen after effort yesterday, but you don't know until you try. I sent a text to my friend before her first 10KM yesterday "You are stronger than you think, and you can run further than you believe.". She would give in and allow herself to walk on training runs when it got tough and I was reminding her that she didn't have to listen when her brain said stop. She told me after the race that she thought of me when she wanted to walk and pushed through. So I thought I better walk the talk.
Event warmup:

Did some glute med engaging exercises, then ran a lap around the block. Did some more exercises, then did another lap, then some dynamic stretches. Glute engaging to try and keep my hips engaged for the race.
Run
  • 1h 58m 10s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 36s  min/km
Comments:

So I didn't know how this was going to go. I decided the night before that I was going to try to hold a 5:30 pace and see how things went. If I blew up, I blew up. I also decided to not pay attention to each km and do the math to see how many were left....Kinda tried to think in miles, cause 13 is better than 21!
Set off at a comfortable pace. Checked my Garmin and saw that I was bang on 5:30 by feel. By gosh, that pacing stuff really does work! The plan I used did a lot of pace work and I learned much better how to do so by feel. Anyway, the first 5-6km were relatively flat and felt okay. Started to tighten up a bit after that, but I told myself that I couldn't complain until at least 10! Around about 8km, we started to catch up to the walkers, who had started 30 min before the rest of the field. I was cheering them on as I went by, that always gives me a lift to do so. Got to km 10 or 11 and told myself I wasn't sure I was going to be able to hold the pace. And then promptly told myself to stop saying that and just run. Just because it feels harder, doesn't mean I am, or have to , slow down (well, I was doing 5:35 ish, but still...)
Next 7km are just self talk, you are doing fine, just keep going. Yes, it hurts, but you are stronger than you believe and can run this fast further than you think. Got to 15 or 16km and there is a woman with a huge brace on one knee and walking with crutches of a type. Said good job on the way by, then told a woman next to me that I am going to stop complaining now. 16-17 is uphill, then 17-18 downhill. Still holding the pace. 18 to the end are flat, a couple of small uphills. Was able to pick up the pace to about 5:15-5:20 for those last three.
No PR, but really happy with 1:58.
What would you do differently?:

Not run 10km the day before! Nah, happy I convinced myself to race both. Once again, get out of my own way and surprise myself. Pretty happy that I am still improving at 44!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed extra "remix challenge" medal, grab bag and get off to the showers to get to a AGM and Conference!

Event comments:

Again, a good race. Well organized, volunteers were great. Excellent course, showing off the city.

Last updated: 2016-09-13 12:00 AM
Running
01:58:10 | 21.1 kms | 05m 36s  min/km
Age Group: 0/497
Overall: 0/5268
Performance: Good
Course: This was a cool course. Point to point, and went through many different Vancouver neighborhoods and points of interest. Super cool for anyone who has never been to the city before.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-10-23 10:05 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Rock 'N' Roll Half Marathon

2016-10-24 9:27 AM
in reply to: #5202767

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Rock 'N' Roll Half Marathon

Wow, that's an impressive result considering you raced (not just went through the motions) BOTH races!!  It's an impressive result regardless even without racing both races, nice work!  I like your advice you gave your friend (so true) and then you applied the same mantra to yourself.  Keep on improving with age, just like a fine wine!

2016-10-24 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Great way to cap off the weekend!!!

WTG on a lot of racing.

2016-10-24 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Sounds like an amazing course! I like the Denver RnR for the same reason. Congrats on pushing through and keeping up the positive self talk.

2016-11-05 8:03 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Congratulations on a great race. It's even more impressive considering the day before race. And great job pacing by feel.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N' Roll Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rock 'n' Roll Marathon (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by drw94
Views: 947 Posts: 1

2012-09-10 12:29 PM drw94

Started by wwhisler
Views: 1453 Posts: 2

2010-06-10 11:10 AM bnmracn

Started by lmscozz
Views: 1982 Posts: 6

2010-06-10 6:15 PM reid15

Arizona Rock N Roll Half Marathon

Started by j2swan
Views: 1033 Posts: 2

2005-01-11 10:27 AM snikpos

Rock n Roll Half Marathon

Started by captantony
Views: 1003 Posts: 5

2004-09-06 5:33 PM evrunning
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.