General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flying Mount is squashing my shoes... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-10-27 4:56 PM

User image

Subject: Flying Mount is squashing my shoes...
I'm doing my first tri in two weeks and I've only started trying the flying mount yesterday afternoon.

I can mount the bike OK and get my feet on top of my shoes and start pedalling, the elastic bands are all good and the running then mounting the bike is OK, but while I'm pedalling on top of my shoes it's squashing them and I've struggled to get my feet into them once up to speed.

Any tips?

The shoes are the Bontrager Triathlon shoes with no tongue:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/apparel/cycling-apparel/cycling-s...

2016-10-27 5:51 PM
in reply to: TonyMax

Subject: RE: Flying Mount is squashing my shoes...

The shoe squashing is inevitable. 

I don't have much problems carefully sticking my toe(s) into the foot hole and just wriggling my foot in. It is never so collapsed that you're struggling to slide the foot in.

2016-10-27 7:00 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Is there a crank position that makes it easier to use a hand in the loop at the back of the shoes to assist?

Habit/instinct is making me try to put my foot in with the crank at 12:00 (top of the pedal stroke) but it's all so cramped up there would I be better off trying a different position?

Hands off the handlebars doing stuff have pretty much exclusively up until now been used for drinking from the bottle cages on the seat and down tubes, so I guess like anything new it will take practice to make it easier/feel less clumsy and unsafe?
2016-10-27 7:39 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
My advice: Don't do a flying mount in your first race. Chances are your adrenaline levels will be through the roof making a successful flying mount far more difficult. If you fail you have a high chance of crashing and perhaps ruining someone else's race. Seen it happen, Not good.
2016-10-27 9:05 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

If you have seen me swim you won't be so optimistic about anyone being anywhere near me in T1 .
2016-10-28 6:49 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
There's an alternative that will be safer and won't destroy your shoes... The standing mount. Keep your shoes attached to the bike as you would with a flying mount, but instead of jumping on the bike with speed, swing your leg over and put that foot in the shoe (toes first, then pedals, you'll adjust as you get going), and place the other foot on top of the other shoes (as you would with a flying mount). Once you have enough speed to be stable, put second foot in shoes and tighten them. To dismount, do exactly as you would with a flying mount, loosen the shoe, pull heel out and be ready to dismount just before line.

It will cost a second or two, but that's about it and it's a whole lot safer than flying mount unless you're REALLY comfortable with it. I've seen more crashes due to inexperienced riders trying the flying mount only to wobble into other riders, clip a curb, clip a cone, or just plainly fall over. Not much of a time savings if any of those happen...

2016-10-28 6:52 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by TonyMax

If you have seen me swim you won't be so optimistic about anyone being anywhere near me in T1 .

A flying mount is silly unless you are going for podium!

IM made them illegal for age groupers 3 years ago because it causes so many issues.
2016-10-28 12:14 PM

User image

Indian Hills, CO
2016-10-28 1:27 PM

As a clarification, I'd second the standing mount as described above. Your shoes remain clipped onto the bike, but you are not moving when you mount the bike. Much safer and loses essentially no time compared to the unnecessarily risky 'flying' mount.

2016-10-28 2:02 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by yazmaster

As a clarification, I'd second the standing mount as described above. Your shoes remain clipped onto the bike, but you are not moving when you mount the bike. Much safer and loses essentially no time compared to the unnecessarily risky 'flying' mount.

Another vote for standing mount. It takes the same amount of time but you don't risk losing two minutes when it goes wrong...and it has a really good chance of going wrong.
2016-10-29 8:07 AM
in reply to: 3mar

, Wisconsin
I'm going to try that standing mount next year. At 62 years old, I'm just not flexible or nimble enough for the flying mount, but I'd like to speed up my T1 if possible. I agree with the others to NOT try a flying mount in a tri unless you are really good at it. Too dangerous for everyone else.

2016-10-29 9:30 AM
in reply to: 3mar

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 3mar
Originally posted by yazmaster

Another vote for standing mount. It takes the same amount of time but you don't risk losing two minutes when it goes wrong...and it has a really good chance of going wrong.

Honestly don't know if what I've done would be flying mount or not. I just swing my leg over in stride when it looks safe to do so. Sometimes I slow more, sometimes I don't. This is one of those times where people get caught up in the minutiae where attention could generally be better focused elsewhere. Get on your bike and get riding. 

2016-10-29 8:21 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
My advice is don't do it until/unless you're proficient at it. The way to get good is to mount this way every time you ride. I've mounted and dismounted with shoes clipped in on every ride for many years.
2016-10-30 4:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Ventura, California

I was going to try this just yesterday at Trick or Tri. I was warned the day before by a pro triathlete that they can be dangerous even if your are good at it. When the pros do it they are typically the first on the bike so the bike mount area is mostly clear of other participants. He made the reference of how pro race drivers can get with inches of each other at 150mph and not crash, its because they are pros. Even then crashes happen.

I did a compromise, I wore my shoes and was surprisingly able to run in them, I ran past 5-8 people trying to get on their bikes doing standing mounts, once safely past everyone, I did the flying mount and started carefully pedaling immediately to clear the area and get to the right, from there I was able to look down briefly to actually clip in. The entire process took less then 10-15 seconds and I was on my merry way, when I looked back the other cyclists where just coming on course so I was able to clear everyone, still do the flying mount safely and get underway in fantastic fashion. 

When I came in for the bike dismount I was able to unstrap, get my feet on top of the shoes and do a running dismount. Also in regards to improving transition times, the bike mount and dismount is part of the bike course and will have very little to no effect on T1-T2 times.

Enjoy your race and have a safe race. I had a fantastic race yesterday and broke all my expectations, I hope you do the same! (Olympic, 2:46)

Edited by rjcalhoun 2016-10-30 4:09 PM
2016-10-31 6:43 AM
in reply to: rjcalhoun

User image

Exton, PA
I had a race about 4 years ago when someone tried to do a flying mount and fell in front of me. I was already on and clipped in, with people on both sides I had no where to go but over him or stop. I stopped and it cost me about a minute or two, may have cost me a podium spot in that race.
2016-10-31 8:09 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by mike761

I had a race about 4 years ago when someone tried to do a flying mount and fell in front of me. I was already on and clipped in, with people on both sides I had no where to go but over him or stop. I stopped and it cost me about a minute or two, may have cost me a podium spot in that race.

A great example of why you shouldn't do a flying mount unless you KNOW you can pull it off. It's not only you crashing, but you could potentially ruin the race for someone else.

2016-10-31 11:50 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

At my first triathlon this past summer, I was 2nd out of the water as I'm a competitive swimmer. My bike, speed, on the other hand, is rather unremarkable. Anyway, I was third out of T1, just behind one of the hotshot triathletes running barefoot with the shoes clipped in the pedals. I rode behind him while he jacked and jacked and jacked with his shoes, trying to get his feet in first, then get the shoes adjusted to his liking. Once he was good, he took off like a jet. But it took him a good half mile to get comfortable. After the race, I checked his bike speed; 23.7 mph. I did 18.0. Doing the math at the time differential to a half mile between 24 and 18 mph suggests he lost ~25 seconds on the Flying Mount. I doubt he gained that much by not putting on his shoes in T1. I don't think it took me that long to put socks and my "lace-up" style touring shoes (admittedly with speed laces) on.

What I, a rookie, took away from this experience? There's something to be said for being able to get on your bike and go full-power from pedal stroke 1.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flying Mount is squashing my shoes... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Flying Mount and Cycling Shoe Tightness

Started by arkmann
Views: 677 Posts: 4

2012-03-22 12:41 PM NewClydesdale

Crank arm & flying mount question

Started by cwpeters
Views: 868 Posts: 8

2011-10-27 3:11 AM audiojan

--FLYING MOUNT!!!-- Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jgerbodegrant
Views: 7933 Posts: 63

2011-04-15 4:18 PM hondo77

flying mount/trishoe

Started by cusetri
Views: 809 Posts: 7

2009-06-11 1:13 PM bryancd

"Modifed" flying bike mount?

Started by scott
Views: 2587 Posts: 17

2008-05-17 11:37 AM amiine
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Incline Chest Fly- Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.