General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What discipline should I focus on? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-10-31 3:57 AM

User image

Subject: What discipline should I focus on?
Hello everyone. This is my first post.

I started triathlons about two years ago. My first was a relay for the full distance triathlon (I did the swimming portion of that), and I have been hooked since.

But for various reasons, I’ve focused on the sprint distance when I enter triathlons solo. I've done a few Olympic distance triathlons as part of a relay team- I swim or cycle (one time I did both and the other team member ran).

Here’s my question. My weakness is definitely running. My swimming is good: I'm right up there at the top for my age group. My cycling is not bad- again right at the top for my age group. For my running, I typically place in the middle of the pack for my age group.

So the obvious approach would be to focus on my running and just maintain my swimming and cycling times, right? That's what someone told me recently but I’m not so sure.

In the sprint triathlon I completed yesterday, I placed third for my age group. I was about 2 minutes and 30 seconds behind the first place finisher. I have let my swimming deteriorate a bit over the last half year, and I imagine getting my time down about a minute would be possible. Cycling is a completely new sport for me. I feel I still have room to improve, even though I am getting some very decent times in my races. Improvements in running come VERY slowly for me. Should I maybe maintain my running level, and try to squeeze out better performance in the other two disciplines (assuming, for example, I want a better overall time that would have put me first in the race yesterday)?

It would be great to hear from others on this.

2016-10-31 6:04 AM
in reply to: Trilogy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: What discipline should I focus on?
A couple of angles on this

First, It depends what "focus on" means. For example I normally do about 50% of my time on the bike, 34% on the run, 16% on swim. For "me" this is relatively balanced for longer distance races. When I put a "focus", I may up one of those percentages. Maybe I'd be 48, 38, 14 if I did a run "focus". So it's not an all or nothing just a rebalancing. I do a lot of hours so even 16% swim is still 12000 yards per week so your numbers may be very different.

Second, if you are in this for the long term and you want to be competitive, you have to be able to run. If that is your weakness, start working on it now because it takes time to develop.

Balance picking "low hanging fruit" with an investment in the long term. Swimming and running are longer to develop than biking. Typically there is a lot of low hanging fruit on the bike. But if smart you can also pick some of that low hanging fruit with few hours.

Finding a balance is quite hard.
2016-10-31 8:13 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I assume you already have a solid base built, if not, you need to start with that. When you train, do you actually train, or do you "go out running"? Find a balance between longer runs (to build and maintain endurance, needed in a sprint), speed runs (shorter and at race pace) and track workouts (to build speed).

You shouldn't have to focus on one specific sport (tri is actually 6 sports... S/B/R, transition, nutrition, recovery), but rather change HOW you train for each one.
2016-10-31 6:09 PM

, Wisconsin
What is your current run training like?
2016-10-31 10:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by marcag

A couple of angles on this

First, It depends what "focus on" means. For example I normally do about 50% of my time on the bike, 34% on the run, 16% on swim. For "me" this is relatively balanced for longer distance races. When I put a "focus", I may up one of those percentages. Maybe I'd be 48, 38, 14 if I did a run "focus". So it's not an all or nothing just a rebalancing. I do a lot of hours so even 16% swim is still 12000 yards per week so your numbers may be very different.

Second, if you are in this for the long term and you want to be competitive, you have to be able to run. If that is your weakness, start working on it now because it takes time to develop.

Balance picking "low hanging fruit" with an investment in the long term. Swimming and running are longer to develop than biking. Typically there is a lot of low hanging fruit on the bike. But if smart you can also pick some of that low hanging fruit with few hours.

Finding a balance is quite hard.

A couple of/few things before I answer. My age group is the 45-49 age group. I'll be 50 next year so a new age group! I'm an expat living in Taiwan. The swimming level here is lower than in the US, Australia, and probably other places. I imagine the time I gain in the swim would be lost if I were to compete elsewhere. The cycling is right up there here in Taiwan, though, as this sport has really taken off here in the last 5-8 years. Recreational running has been around for a long while and so I imagine the runners here are not bad.

Okay, by "focus," I think you have the right idea. But I think I probably train much less than you. I try to get out there four times every week, but often only make it three. A short run (5-7k) and a nice swim (1.5k) during the week, and a long ride on Saturdays is about my normal schedule. If I squeeze in a fourth day, it is often cycling up a small mountain, a second run, or sometimes an extra swim.

So taking your advice, any rebalancing would probably be in the form of making sure the fourth workout is always a run, or maybe doing more brick sessions on my Saturday long ride.

Anyway, thanks for your input. Finding a balance is definitely hard.

Edited by Trilogy 2016-10-31 10:03 PM
2016-10-31 10:42 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

You shouldn't have to focus on one specific sport (tri is actually 6 sports... S/B/R, transition, nutrition, recovery), but rather change HOW you train for each one.

Good advice. And that's the first I heard of the 6 sports aspect of triathlons!

2016-10-31 10:49 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Originally posted by MikeD1

What is your current run training like?

Once or twice a week. Some brick sessions in the weeks leading up to most races. I run 5-7 kilometers for my regular runs, and maybe 4 kilometers for the brick sessions.

As I mentioned previously, I'm living in Taiwan. The heat and humidity from April to October are always a battle here (it's not uncommon for locals to perform better than the pros that are invited to the races because the locals are better acclimated).

So sometimes, I'll head out a bit later than I would like (maybe 7 or 8 am) in the summer to prepare for the heat that will hit me like a ton a bricks in a race. 5-7km on those hot days is enough for me!
2016-11-01 7:09 AM

User image

, North Carolina
Running. If you want to improve in your running you'll need to run more times per week for a greater number of km. Really if you are only doing some 1x a week and the others 2x a week you have a ton of room for improvement.

3x a week is where I saw improvement in each. 4x a week would be better.

A swim background is the best thing to have in triathlon.
2016-11-01 12:20 PM
in reply to: Nick B

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Nick B

Running. If you want to improve in your running you'll need to run more times per week for a greater number of km. Really if you are only doing some 1x a week and the others 2x a week you have a ton of room for improvement.

I totally agree with this. It sounds like you inherited some pretty good natural ability. To make the most of it, you'll need significantly more volume. But, increase that volume slowly. A consistent buildup is much more effective and far less likely to get you injured than just adding a bunch. For example, try to get in two runs a week consistently for the next month or so. Then maybe add a third run and so on. Also, I don't know what kind of intensity you're doing but you'll want most of your running, probably around 80% to be real easy. A pace that you can talk in sentences is a place to start for most of your running. I personally wouldn't add much speed or intensity for at least a 1/2 year or so of building up a consistent volume.
2016-11-02 12:56 AM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

I totally agree with this. It sounds like you inherited some pretty good natural ability. To make the most of it, you'll need significantly more volume. But, increase that volume slowly. A consistent buildup is much more effective and far less likely to get you injured than just adding a bunch. For example, try to get in two runs a week consistently for the next month or so. Then maybe add a third run and so on. Also, I don't know what kind of intensity you're doing but you'll want most of your running, probably around 80% to be real easy. A pace that you can talk in sentences is a place to start for most of your running. I personally wouldn't add much speed or intensity for at least a 1/2 year or so of building up a consistent volume.

I think I'll give this a shot and see what happens. I'm scared to death of running injury (I'm actually dealing with some foot pain now), but I think doing runs at a lowered intensity would be a good approach.
2016-11-02 8:38 AM

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Trilogy

I think I'll give this a shot and see what happens. I'm scared to death of running injury (I'm actually dealing with some foot pain now), but I think doing runs at a lowered intensity would be a good approach.

You are smart to be concerned about potential injuries. The real keys are to build the volume VERY slowly, and keep the intensity down. At 62years, I find that if I don't run at least 3X weekly I'm actually more likely to develop pain. But, none of my runs are very long.

2016-11-02 8:46 AM

User image

, North Carolina
How many km per week are you running?

What pace are you running?

I'd recommend doing a LTHR test for running.

Then split up your total weekly distance into 4 days. ie 12km 2x per week into 3km 4x per week.

Run that for 3/4 weeks then start adding volume. Easy Zone 2 runs. (you'd be surprised how easy a zone 2 run is)

Then after that start adding some volume. No more than 10% each week(time or distance).

I'd say once you've worked up to 20-25k per week then start adding speed/tempo/threshold work, but only 1x per week.

If you start to experience any pain back off.
2016-11-02 9:07 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Trilogy
Originally posted by Nick B Running. If you want to improve in your running you'll need to run more times per week for a greater number of km. Really if you are only doing some 1x a week and the others 2x a week you have a ton of room for improvement. 3x a week is where I saw improvement in each. 4x a week would be better. A swim background is the best thing to have in triathlon.

Another way to do it is to take what you're currently doing per week and divide it up into several more runs. Especially when running really low frequency (1x is certainly that), people seem to run too much at one time and maybe a little hard for that. With 3-4x a week, this will only be like 1-1.5 miles at a time (or maybe 1.5-2k). It's going to seem like too little at first, but do it for at least a couple weeks. This will help you learn how the load accumulates in your body over several weeks. It might not be that long until at least one of those runs is back up to what you're doing now.

2016-11-02 10:10 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I am no where near the caliber of triathletes that have already answered you, so take this for what it's worth.

I've read here on BT that what often feels like a weakness in the run is really a weakness on the bike that burns you out for the run. So maybe don't lighten up on the bike in favor of the run.
2016-11-03 6:35 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
All I can say is you must have a lot of natural talent to place that well on such casual training. I guess it depends on how much and at what level you want to excel in the sport, and how much you want to swim/bike/run just for enjoyment. At the high levels (qualifying for, and maybe placing at Worlds), even with older age-groupers, I feel safe in saying that most people have some natural talent in at least one or two disciplines, AND most/all work their butts off. Definitely your run volume is very low--I would gradually increase volume by more frequent runs, not necessarily longer ones--that can wait until you have built up more resilience.

Iif you're in it to win it, you should definitely build up to do some runs that are equal to/longer than race distance (unless we're talking full IM), and incorporating some form of speed work once you have focused on stamina for several months. Heat/humidity is no excuse. I live in Saigon about 9-10 months a year. I do runs up to about 2 hours here, and rides up to 4 (although due to traffic and rainy season weather, I do some of the rides partly or entirely on the trainer with the AC). There are some types of workouts that are super-hard here and I sometimes have to modify--particularly tempo runs where I'm running hard continuously--I can't cool off if I don't slow down and I have gotten so overheated I get nauseous. Maybe better to do those on a treadmill, or do intervals or fartlek instead, and/or just do them really early AM.

There is at least one athlete who has qualified for Kona mainly living here in Saigon; I know several athletes based in Singapore and Jakarta who have done so as well. I qualified for 70.3 Worlds this year. (At IM Vietnam 70.3 --Living in tropical conditions does give one an advantage in racing there!) So it can be done. It just requires extra attention to hydration before, during, and after the workout. And, I hate to say this, but an acceptance that not every run workout is going to be a barrel of fun. To be honest, I enjoy running a lot less here than at home in Oregon. But the run is one of my strengths, and I like to win things. So I persist, even when it's kind of ugly. I'd limit those late-morning runs to brick workouts--by definition, by the time you finish biking, it will be later, and hotter than h..... Do the longer or harder runs when it's cooler or you will have trouble with recovery.
2016-11-03 8:04 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by MuscleMomma I am no where near the caliber of triathletes that have already answered you, so take this for what it's worth. I've read here on BT that what often feels like a weakness in the run is really a weakness on the bike that burns you out for the run. So maybe don't lighten up on the bike in favor of the run.

There is truth in that. Could be from fitness and/or execution in the race. Since the running is likely to be entirely easy for awhile (and not really that high volume) it is possible to push the bike some more too.

2016-11-03 10:23 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

All I can say is you must have a lot of natural talent to place that well on such casual training. I guess it depends on how much and at what level you want to excel in the sport, and how much you want to swim/bike/run just for enjoyment. At the high levels (qualifying for, and maybe placing at Worlds), even with older age-groupers, I feel safe in saying that most people have some natural talent in at least one or two disciplines, AND most/all work their butts off. Definitely your run volume is very low--I would gradually increase volume by more frequent runs, not necessarily longer ones--that can wait until you have built up more resilience.

Iif you're in it to win it, you should definitely build up to do some runs that are equal to/longer than race distance (unless we're talking full IM), and incorporating some form of speed work once you have focused on stamina for several months. Heat/humidity is no excuse. I live in Saigon about 9-10 months a year. I do runs up to about 2 hours here, and rides up to 4 (although due to traffic and rainy season weather, I do some of the rides partly or entirely on the trainer with the AC). There are some types of workouts that are super-hard here and I sometimes have to modify--particularly tempo runs where I'm running hard continuously--I can't cool off if I don't slow down and I have gotten so overheated I get nauseous. Maybe better to do those on a treadmill, or do intervals or fartlek instead, and/or just do them really early AM.

There is at least one athlete who has qualified for Kona mainly living here in Saigon; I know several athletes based in Singapore and Jakarta who have done so as well. I qualified for 70.3 Worlds this year. (At IM Vietnam 70.3 --Living in tropical conditions does give one an advantage in racing there!) So it can be done. It just requires extra attention to hydration before, during, and after the workout. And, I hate to say this, but an acceptance that not every run workout is going to be a barrel of fun. To be honest, I enjoy running a lot less here than at home in Oregon. But the run is one of my strengths, and I like to win things. So I persist, even when it's kind of ugly. I'd limit those late-morning runs to brick workouts--by definition, by the time you finish biking, it will be later, and hotter than h..... Do the longer or harder runs when it's cooler or you will have trouble with recovery.

This is the second comment about some kind of natural ability. I'm not so sure about that. I've been hitting the pool hard for about 5 years, but have been involved with triathlons for only 2. As I mentioned previously, the swimming in Taiwan is not so great, while this is my strength. And so I get a few minutes on the competition right from the start (and then they make it up on the run!). Another thing is that I'm doing only sprint triathlons, while the preferred distance here is the Olympic distance and beyond. In other words, all the hardcore/experienced guys are doing a longer distance! It's common here to have both a sprint and Olympic distance on the same day for any given race.

It's good to see someone else here who lives in a hot and humid climate. The sprint tri where I placed third was in cool weather (23-24 C). When the thermometer gets above 30 degrees, I crash and burn on the run (although I did somehow manage a fourth place finish last May with those conditions).

I know a guy here who qualified for Kona (I think more than once). I actually swim with him sometimes. I've heard from others, though, to stay away from his group on their 90k cycling training runs, as you'll be in some serious pain!
2016-11-03 10:25 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Originally posted by MuscleMomma

I am no where near the caliber of triathletes that have already answered you, so take this for what it's worth.

I've read here on BT that what often feels like a weakness in the run is really a weakness on the bike that burns you out for the run. So maybe don't lighten up on the bike in favor of the run.

I can definitely see how this could be true for some people. And I'll take advice from anyone, regardless of their level. No need to apologize for that!
2016-11-03 11:58 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
True--I'm not real sure that I'm strong in the natural ability department myself, LOL. Maybe I meant more of some kind of advantage--that might be natural talent and/or having more experience in that discipline. For example, I know a few of the top women in my AG in the world are former pro-level cyclists!

But if we are talking doing well at local races)that might even some kind of relative advantage such as training in a hot climate for hot events, or having a relative strength in an area where others have a relative weakness.

In any case, there are no real shortcuts to excellence in tri as in any other sport. I come to the sport with zero cycling background beyond very casual commuting and touring, so that has been an ongoing struggle!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What discipline should I focus on? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Which discipline benefits the others most?

Started by waskelton
Views: 1076 Posts: 12

2005-03-04 1:21 PM Motivated

Swimming shape enough for the other 2 disciplines

Started by auto208562
Views: 1333 Posts: 16

2004-12-12 8:15 PM MikeB

Triatlhon, more than 3 disciplines.

Started by charlie
Views: 1040 Posts: 9

2004-12-08 1:06 PM dontracy

in need of discipline!

Started by bootygirl
Views: 1462 Posts: 23

2004-08-03 10:48 AM infosteward

Highs and Lows of Each Discipline

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 1034 Posts: 5

2004-04-16 9:22 PM Aikane
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 3, 2008
author : stultzt
comments : 3
Two years ago I weighed in at a hefty 280 lbs and was a mess. Now I'm a lean 180 lbs and train daily. What a difference healthy eating, exercise, and self discipline can make!

date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.
date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
comments : 0
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.

date : March 5, 2006
author : ChiRunning
The three disciplines of triathlon are steeped in rhythm. Think of watching a well-trained swimmer, gliding smoothly down the lane, arms moving like clockwork, breathing every third stoke.
date : July 4, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 3
Motivation can be hard to come by some days. Here are a few things I have learned to help stay focused.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : February 28, 2005
author : gsmacleod
The role of concentration and focus in athletic training and competition.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Sometimes life just isn’t fair! We all have situations come up from time to time that test our dedication to triathlon training.