General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much better is a TT/tri bike than a road bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-04 4:34 AM

User image

Subject: How much better is a TT/tri bike than a road bike?
I bought my Giant TCR 1 road bike less than two years ago. It's a very basic road bike (aluminum frame, etc.). I have since put on good aero bars (Profile Design) and have an Adamo saddle.

I'm very happy with the bike and am still making gains in speed.

However, I'm curious to hear from others who owned a road bike for a while, got everything needed to get more aero, then eventually switched to a TT/tri bike.

Was there much of a difference? How about for someone like me who's preferred race distance is the sprint distance? I often train doing a distance of 50k or so, but I definitely am enjoying the sprint distance and don't anticipate moving to the Olympic distance soon (maybe the bike leg of a relay or two every once in a while).

2016-11-04 6:32 AM
in reply to: Trilogy

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: How much better is a TT/tri bike than a road bike?
What a tri bike allows for is to place the rider in a more aerodynamic position without compromising the characteristics of the bike. A road bike is designed with a rearward weight balance, moving forward and moving the weight over the front (i.e. steeper seat angle and weight over the handle bars as you do when you slap a pair of aero bars on) will make the bike less stable (even if you feel ok on the bike, I bet you're still micro correcting all the time, which is wasting a surprising amount of energy).

A well fitting tri bike (and fit is crucial) will make you faster, maybe not on the first ride, but as you get used to the position.
2016-11-07 1:19 PM

User image

Originally posted by Trilogy

I bought my Giant TCR 1 road bike less than two years ago. It's a very basic road bike (aluminum frame, etc.). I have since put on good aero bars (Profile Design) and have an Adamo saddle.

I'm very happy with the bike and am still making gains in speed.

However, I'm curious to hear from others who owned a road bike for a while, got everything needed to get more aero, then eventually switched to a TT/tri bike.

Was there much of a difference? How about for someone like me who's preferred race distance is the sprint distance? I often train doing a distance of 50k or so, but I definitely am enjoying the sprint distance and don't anticipate moving to the Olympic distance soon (maybe the bike leg of a relay or two every once in a while).

Going from a conventional (non-aero) road bike with clip-on aerobars to a properly-fit tri-bike would typically yield a speed increase of 2.5-3% at the same power output, assuming as many other variables as possible are kept the same (i.e wheels, tires, clothing, helmet, etc). For most triathletes, that's going to be a time difference of roughly a minute over 20km.
2016-11-07 9:03 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Originally posted by audiojan

What a tri bike allows for is to place the rider in a more aerodynamic position without compromising the characteristics of the bike. A road bike is designed with a rearward weight balance, moving forward and moving the weight over the front (i.e. steeper seat angle and weight over the handle bars as you do when you slap a pair of aero bars on) will make the bike less stable (even if you feel ok on the bike, I bet you're still micro correcting all the time, which is wasting a surprising amount of energy).

A well fitting tri bike (and fit is crucial) will make you faster, maybe not on the first ride, but as you get used to the position.

It seems this has been discussed in this forum previously (no surprise, really). I found this article in one of posts:
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml

2016-11-07 9:09 PM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Originally posted by gary p
Going from a conventional (non-aero) road bike with clip-on aerobars to a properly-fit tri-bike would typically yield a speed increase of 2.5-3% at the same power output, assuming as many other variables as possible are kept the same (i.e wheels, tires, clothing, helmet, etc). For most triathletes, that's going to be a time difference of roughly a minute over 20km.

That's huge! I think for now, I'll just keep trying to improve my leg strength and stamina- keep trying to get over and sustain 40kph. But eventually, I'll plateau and will definitely consider a new bike that better suits my interest in triathlons.

In Taipei where I live, there are mountains everywhere. I live at the foot of a mountain and a group rides up it every morning when it's not raining. I definitely don't regret buying my road bike, but I think a new bike for my real interest will be necessary before too long. Thanks for the great information.
2016-11-08 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Our state time trial race is done on a 40k course and offers both an Eddy Merckx division (no aero bike or other aero equipment allowed) and regular TT races where you can aero-geek out to your hearts content.

One of my team mates is a very competitive Cat 4 who does the Merckx race on his road bike. He took 7th place and his time this year was 1:04:13.

By comparison, the Cat 4 7 place finisher was 59:47. So he rode about 1-1/2 MPH faster.

The winner of the Merckx race was also close to 1-1/2-MPH slower than the winner of the Cat 4.....I know it's very anecdotal and may not be the greatest sample to compare, but I but it's not too far off. My general experience is that I'm typically about 1-mph fast on my tri bike than my roadie (wearing similar kit and similar levels of effort) on solo rides. I'm sure the aero helmet and tighter clothes would boost that difference a bit.

2016-11-08 8:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by g_shotts

One of my team mates is a very competitive Cat 4 who does the Merckx race on his road bike. He took 7th place and his time this year was 1:04:13.

By comparison, the Cat 4 7 place finisher was 59:47. So he rode about 1-1/2 MPH faster.

That's a big difference and about in line with what was discussed earlier in this thread.

I'll be 50 next year but I believe I still can improve much, considering I'm still relatively new to cycling. I hope I can one day do 40k in about an hour. I did 1 hour and 13 minutes for a triathlon relay a couple of months ago (this included a bit of transition time since this was not separated). I was aiming for 1 hour and 10 minutes so I was happy. The triathlon started at 11 am and so I was out there basically in sauna-like conditions by the time our swimmer finished. I really, really feel that I can get it down to 1:05:00 or thereabouts for that 40k sometime next year. And then I think it will be time for me to move to a tri bike.

Edited by Trilogy 2016-11-08 8:49 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much better is a TT/tri bike than a road bike? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Converting a road bike to a TT bike

Started by afin03
Views: 4121 Posts: 7

2016-04-27 7:22 AM PBT_2009

TT/Tri Bike Brake Caliper vs Road Bike Brake Caliper

Started by Ronnieosy
Views: 1458 Posts: 4

2013-04-11 8:47 AM cgregg

TT bike to Road Bike?

Started by LonghornSpencer
Views: 1367 Posts: 8

2010-03-28 8:15 AM audiojan

1980 road bike vs 2008 TT bike

Started by Organic Steam
Views: 1697 Posts: 8

2008-04-22 4:44 PM mhan22

Tri Bike vs Road Bike, which is better?

Started by LonghornBuckeye
Views: 1041 Posts: 5

2008-03-13 11:35 PM rkreuser
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?

date : February 3, 2009
On my road bike after 45 minutes, I develop pain between my shoulder blades. It still persists unless I am on my tri bike.
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.