General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Upgrade Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-06 7:50 PM

User image

Subject: Bike Upgrade
Hey all, I have been doing triathlons for the last 4 summers, did 3 HIM's this summer and plan on doing a full IM next fall. I currently have a 2010 Fuji Aloha 2.0 that I have used the last 4 years and would like to upgrade this winter. What are your recommendations as far as brands and components go? I am looking to spend no more than $3,000 including aero wheels. Also, has anyone had any experience with Mybikeshop.com? They have some very good looking/tempting deals in my price range.
Thanks in advance for all your help, Bennett RN, BSN

2016-11-07 8:51 AM
in reply to: btyson

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Bike Upgrade
mybikeshop.com is a reputable dealer of used (and some new) equipment. Wouldn't hesitate buying from them.

By FAR the most important aspect of a tri bike is how it fits YOU. That makes is impossible to recommend a specific brand/model without having at least some basic fit data (stack/reach would be a good starting place). Keep in mind that you'll be faster on an entry level, but well fitting bike than you will be on even the most aerodynamic, but ill-fitting, super bike.

As far as components, Shimano Ultegra (saves money compared to Dura-Ace but still gets you the performance), Campy Chorus, SRAM Force (although I don't like SRAM, but that's all personal preference). For $3000 (especially if you're looking used) you should be able to get a bike with Ultegra Di2. Electronic shifting is well worth it, especially for tri bikes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Upgrade Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Old bike upgrades

Started by ejplee
Views: 544 Posts: 3

2006-09-05 12:05 AM tkbslc

Bike Upgrade Questions

Started by allez
Views: 613 Posts: 4

2006-07-29 9:37 AM allez

Bike upgrades

Started by snoopy
Views: 546 Posts: 3

2005-08-28 5:14 PM David14

An overlooked bike upgrade...

Started by CptnJackSparrow
Views: 1469 Posts: 18

2005-05-09 7:41 AM CptnJackSparrow

Bike upgrades Pages: 1 2 3

Started by billypb
Views: 2453 Posts: 56

2005-02-06 1:51 PM Colin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Keeping your bike from being damaged on the trainer

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : May 25, 2009
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Coach AJ
So when it comes to triathlon, the largest investment we make, in both terms, comes in the bike. Looking at ways to get faster, while considering a budget, is a bind for most triathletes.