General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newton Running Shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-14 2:17 AM

User image

Subject: Newton Running Shoes
I'm very seriously considering this option.

Here's my situation. I switched to a midfoot/forefoot strike and like magic, my knee pain disappeared.

This last summer, however, I started experiencing foot pain. I first thought it was plantar fasciitis, but now I think it's metatarsalgia, since the pain is right under the second toe in my left foot and no longer spread to my arch.

It seems switching more to a midfoot strike (and less forefoot), together with changing to the extra padding with Newton shoes would be a good approach.

What do all of you think of these shoes in general? And do you think the shoes will help my foot pain?

2016-11-17 8:46 PM
in reply to: Trilogy

Subject: RE: Newton Running Shoes
Hi there! I'm no doctor, but have pretty extensive experience as a competitive runner and someone who also benefitted greatly from adjusting to a more midfoot strike.

How long between your switch to the midfoot strike and this new foot pain start? Also, are there any other factors that might have caused the foot pain other than running form, such as an increase in training/racing volume/intensity? Things like these tend to create injuries much more readily than footwear.
2016-11-17 10:00 PM
in reply to: Dom@MBS

User image

Originally posted by Dom@MBS

How long between your switch to the midfoot strike and this new foot pain start? Also, are there any other factors that might have caused the foot pain other than running form, such as an increase in training/racing volume/intensity? Things like these tend to create injuries much more readily than footwear.

It has been around two years since I switched to the midfoot strike. I'm sure I was too forefoot at first (probably looked ridiculous at first). But then I have slowly been adjusting to a midfoot strike and have been happy with my improved times and lack of knee pain.

I increased my running volume and frequency right before the pain, but nothing too drastic. I went from a weekly 5k run to alternating between one and two 7k runs per week. Generally, I have increased my intensity this year and entered more races. But again, nothing too drastic. I like the sprint distance and so the volume of everything I do is very low compared to some triathletes (40-50k cycling), 1.5k swims, 5-7k runs, etc.

I've laid off of running for three weeks. My foot feels much better, but the pain is still there. I bet I could run no problem, but would really like to do something differently so that the injury and pain disappear eventually.
2016-11-18 1:53 PM
in reply to: Trilogy

You can definitely try out the Newton shoes, I'm always a bit hesitant with anything that will affect running form like that but if you like them they can certainly work for you. I know a bunch of runners who like them very much. Running shoes are so specific to the individual that you really just need t try out a bunch and see what works best.

This being said, no shoe or any other product for that matter is going to be the "magic bullet." So continue to keep up with other things that will not only improve injuries, but also improve running efficiency/economy, such as a running-oriented core strength routine, being mindful of running form/posture and making sure your shoes aren't too worn out and still have proper cushioning. Also, for foot-related problems, check your toe alignment and make sure they aren't being crushed together as you run.
2016-11-21 12:39 AM
in reply to: Dom@MBS

User image

Thanks for all your input. I'll definitely take it all into consideration.

I've decided to lay off on running until there is zero pain in the foot. I'm almost there after three weeks. It's the off season now so if I'm going to have an injury, I can't think of better timing. I also did well on my last race so I feel I deserve a little rest.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newton Running Shoes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Two Pair of Running Shoes - Nike and Newton

Started by pfomalont
Views: 1227 Posts: 4

2013-12-24 5:53 AM audiojan

wear/worn on Newton shoes

Started by cxk9758
Views: 971 Posts: 4

2012-11-09 8:31 AM bet

Newton Shoes?

Started by Aapter
Views: 1405 Posts: 8

2012-11-04 9:13 AM Aapter

Newton Running Shoes

Started by bsc77
Views: 3223 Posts: 16

2011-07-15 6:20 PM MX n TRI n Az

Newton Running Shoe's Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by bryancd
Views: 8617 Posts: 81

2009-05-01 2:04 PM trix
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 2, 2011
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries
date : March 23, 2011
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.

date : March 9, 2010
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : December 11, 2007
I have had chronic Achilles tendonitis problems for a good portion of my life. I am wondering if this can ever go away, or if there is a surgery that can be done?