General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Full Ironman - Getting to the next level Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-17 9:51 PM

New user

Subject: Full Ironman - Getting to the next level
I wondering if someone could share their advice.

I just finished IM Florida in 10:49 (1:15 Swim, 5:30 Bike, 3:57 Run) This was my 3rd IM with my first in 2013. Up 'til now I've used the beginner 20-week free plan. No power meter and I rarely use a HR monitor.

I have a power meter on the way and I'm committed to use my HR monitor going forward. I have a lot to learn about tech.

I definitely need to improve my diet and lose a few more pounds. (6'2" 182lbs)

Any training plans/advice that you could recommend?

Thanks for the input!
Mike

2016-11-18 5:21 AM
in reply to: mcondie

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Full Ironman - Getting to the next level
If you are going to train with HR and Power you'll need a more detailed plan. Either from a coach or from some where else.

I'd venture to say that if you're looking to 10 or better a coach would be a good investment.
2016-11-18 6:58 AM

User image

Exton, PA
The power meter will help if you use it.
Start reading up on how to train with power, it will up your game and help you pace better in the race.

Looking at you numbers, it looks like your swim is your weakest event. Train this more, burning too many matches in the first hours slows down everything else.
2016-11-18 7:27 AM

User image

That's tremendous! You can visit training peaks and shop their plans. They have hundreds of coaches publishing plans on their platform. See if there is one that looks like it is a good fit.
2016-11-18 8:46 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
We're both at a very similar place right now. I just did IMFL too and finished 10:56. I'm going to do Florida again next year and hope to get close to, and maybe break 10. For what it's worth; I was going to take a month easy, then use the next 8 months of the year to focus on increasing top end speed on the run and also do a bike focus training block. Then use the last 3 months as a build to the IM focusing on longer workouts at lower intensities. I'm going to do two half IMs and try to get my time in the 4:3x range.

To put down a 5:30 bike split without ever training with power is pretty impressive. What does your current training look like?
2016-11-19 7:17 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mike761 The power meter will help if you use it. Start reading up on how to train with power, it will up your game and help you pace better in the race. Looking at you numbers, it looks like your swim is your weakest event. Train this more, burning too many matches in the first hours slows down everything else.

I suspect Mike is on the right track with his thoughts here.

Improving your swim through time this winter with a good coach who helps tweak your technique and adds some improved structure to your training would likely help you both swim faster, and burn fewer matches during the swim, leaving more for the bike and run, indirectly improving those times.

That bike time is pretty solid, but my suspicion based on your description of "Up 'til now I've used the beginner 20-week free plan. No power meter and I rarely use a HR monitor" is that you've got a lot more potential.  If a coach isn't an option, consider spending this winner following a program like Jorge's from this site or using a tool like Trainer Road, then next year use a plan that's more appropriate for someone with your experience than a beginner plan.  One of the intermediate or advanced plans here, or some of the plans on Training Peaks should help.

Lastly, what's your bike setup like?  A lot of times we see decent athletes who are leaving a lot of time on the table because of bad bike set ups.  I had an athlete at IMFL this year for his first IM.  He's not as fast as you, so he had more room for improvements, but when we started working together in the spring, his bike fit was pretty bad.  We got him with a good fitter.  After the fit, we saw an immediate increase of .5-1.0 mph and 5 bpm decrease in average HR on his regular routes.  Optimizing fit with a good fitter can be kind of expensive, but it can reap some big improvements.

2016-11-19 11:26 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by mike761 The power meter will help if you use it. Start reading up on how to train with power, it will up your game and help you pace better in the race. Looking at you numbers, it looks like your swim is your weakest event. Train this more, burning too many matches in the first hours slows down everything else.

I suspect Mike is on the right track with his thoughts here.

Improving your swim through time this winter with a good coach who helps tweak your technique and adds some improved structure to your training would likely help you both swim faster, and burn fewer matches during the swim, leaving more for the bike and run, indirectly improving those times.

That bike time is pretty solid, but my suspicion based on your description of "Up 'til now I've used the beginner 20-week free plan. No power meter and I rarely use a HR monitor" is that you've got a lot more potential.  If a coach isn't an option, consider spending this winner following a program like Jorge's from this site or using a tool like Trainer Road, then next year use a plan that's more appropriate for someone with your experience than a beginner plan.  One of the intermediate or advanced plans here, or some of the plans on Training Peaks should help.

Lastly, what's your bike setup like?  A lot of times we see decent athletes who are leaving a lot of time on the table because of bad bike set ups.  I had an athlete at IMFL this year for his first IM.  He's not as fast as you, so he had more room for improvements, but when we started working together in the spring, his bike fit was pretty bad.  We got him with a good fitter.  After the fit, we saw an immediate increase of .5-1.0 mph and 5 bpm decrease in average HR on his regular routes.  Optimizing fit with a good fitter can be kind of expensive, but it can reap some big improvements.

I wouldn't put too much credence into the swim time as it was a pretty rough swim, condition wise. I think only about 10 or 15 people broke an hour, and the winning time was in the 55 min range. I was coming off a 26 min swim in a recent HIM and only managed a 1:07 at IMFL.The current was taking us all over the place. I'd be willing to bet that if we looked at how he did against the field, his bike and swim would be pretty close.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Full Ironman - Getting to the next level Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Which full distance ironman next year

Started by TriTampa2
Views: 1544 Posts: 15

2016-03-25 7:28 PM TriTampa2

Stepping my training up to the next level

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1856 Posts: 14

2009-06-02 1:29 PM wurkit_gurl

That Next Level....

Started by Yosel88
Views: 1100 Posts: 3

2009-05-14 8:01 PM gsmacleod

Next Level - How do you know?

Started by eabeam
Views: 1626 Posts: 18

2009-05-13 10:32 AM eabeam

Intensity Training - Getting to the next level

Started by JohnP_NY
Views: 755 Posts: 4

2007-05-09 11:27 AM AdventureBear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 20, 2007
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.