General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Full IM - what did I do???? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-25 11:20 AM

User image

Subject: First Full IM - what did I do????
Oh my.....I just signed up for my first full last night. I've been debating doing a full for the past year or so but finally pulled the trigger last night when I saw that IM Florida was still open to general registration. I'm nauseous thinking about my decision today. I know that I can do this with my coach, but WOW is all I can say

I've been doing tris for almost 4 years now. I've completed 6 half IMs. My times have varied widely depending on the course. I've done Muncie twice with my PR there being 6:28:xx. I've also picked harder 70.3 courses (just for the beauty of the course and the destination vacation opportunities):

Lake Tahoe kicked my butt with time of 7:43:xx (the bike killed any hope of a decent run, and I'm sure the altitude didn't help as I live in Texas)
Hawaii 70.3 7:20:xx (dropped my chain twice on the bike but still managed a decent time, but the heat killed my run, especially running almost half of the run course on the golf course fairways)
Oceanside 70.3 7:05:xx (had a bit slower bike with the hills on Camp Pendelton and the winds coming back into town, but steady run).
Texas 70.3 6:53:xx (decent bike in the rain but the run turned into a sauna after the rain stopped)
Muncie 70.3 (my first ever 70.3, with no coach, got a coach shortly after this race) 7:07:xx

I do ok (for me) on flat courses. I'm not a fast swimmer but I have endurance. I manage ok in rougher waters (finished Escape from Alcatraz last year). I can handle the heat on the run if I don't burn too many matches on the bike course. I think with Florida's flat course, I can accommodate the heat on the run (plus it will likely be pretty late when I start my run).

Just the thought of being out there all day (as it will take me All day, probably 15 hours or so) has me second guessing myself today.

2016-11-25 11:58 AM
in reply to: Rdracer99

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: First Full IM - what did I do????

It's normal to second guess yourself the day after signing up for a new challenge.  "Cold light of day" and all that.  But I think you are well prepared to start training for a full IM.  Your half IMs have given you plenty of experience, and if you can do Escape from Alcatraz you can do any swim.  IM Florida is a good choice I think.

I raced Hawaii last June and nailed the bike with nearly 20mph average, but the run was hard.  So much heat on the golf course!  Combine that with those nasty steep golf cart hills for pavement and spongy grass flats, and it was not easy.

2016-11-26 11:37 AM

User image

Elite

I was kind of in the same boat as you...did a handful of 70.3s and then finally signed up and completed IM CDA 2015.  When I first got into triathlon I'd read about the Ironman distance and say 'nooooo way!  That's for the crazy people!'  Apparently I've joined the crazy club because now I'm considering my 2nd Ironman...what is wrong with us! Lol!  Do the training, you'll be fine!

2016-11-28 10:47 AM

I made the decision to do my first full while I was at the end of the run in my first HIM. I figured if I could do a HIM I can train for a year and double the distance. I've done a bunch of marathons, ultra marathons, and century rides so I knew I had the endurance.

The moment I decided to do the full I hired a coach as I needed someone to help me balance the workouts. When I trained for my HIM I basically swam, biked, and ran 6 days a week. I really had no clue what I was doing nor did I know how to train properly.

When I actually clicked the submit button and officially signed up I felt this wave of fear. I knew I could do the distances but the thought of being out there 13-15 hours freaked me out. However, I worked with my coach and learned a lot in the year that I trained for it that by the time I got to race day I felt prepared and confident. I loved it so much I signed up for my second one, which I completed in September. I'm now signed up for #3 which I will be doing next year.

It always amazes me that when faced with a huge challenge how the body responds. The mind will play tricks on you and try to convince you that you can't do it. The key is to ignore it and push through. It will not be easy. There will be a lot of early morning workouts, double workouts, and your weekends will be filled with long bike rides and runs. However, you will find a way to fit it all in and you will be ready for race day. Just remember the hardest part is the training. Race day is the reward for all that hard work.

Good luck as you train and when things get tough just remember that in the end you will be an ironman, which is a pretty cool achievement.
2016-11-30 1:21 AM
in reply to: #5205855

If you have done a few of HIM then you will be fine as long as you keep training. I had never done a Triathlon in my life. No Springs, Olympics or HIM and guess what? I just finished Ironman Florida 2016 in 15 hours. Back in December 2015 I was 30 pounds overweight and didn't worked out for almost 2 years. I just saw my friend competing at Ironman Cozumel. He challenged me to do one and we picked Ironman Florida cause the bike flat course (he signed up but didn't do it). It's pretty flat but the wind was very strong that day. I started training in April after I bought me an used old Triathlon bike. I didn't know how to swim and I learned on my own watching YouTube videos. I didn't hired a coach. I'm hooked now and I just signed up for Ironman Texas in April 2017. This will be my second full Ironman and second Triathlon event EVER. If I did it then anybody can do it as long as they put the time to train. Ironman Florida is the perfect place to do the first Ironman.
2016-11-30 10:34 AM

, Wisconsin
You've got some great experience already. Train consistently and I'm sure you'll do great. Congratulations on accepting the challenge!

2016-12-01 11:03 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Those feelings are normal. You can do it. Pick a training plan and follow it you will be fine. Yes you are looking at 15 to 15:30 given your HIM times assuming you train well and keep to a good nutrition plan. Remember that Florida will have humidity, basically stay wet all day if you need to, ice down your shirt on the run if you are hot. You will be fine. The freek out feelings are completely necessary. You will rock it. Enjoy.
2016-12-02 6:07 AM
in reply to: #5206315

User image

For your first IM, please don't concern yourself with your time. Just finish. Whether you finish in 12, 15, or 16:59, you will be an Ironman.

However, the jump up to IM is not just about the distance, it is also about the mental aspect of racing for that long and also dialing in your nutrition.

Experiment with yourself during training. I can live on EFS and GUs during an IM, but that would make others puke on that nutrition plan. Some people "live off the course"...there is no problem with this strategy, as long as you practice it in training and know your gut can handle it. GI issues during the run can make your overall race a miserable experience.

Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Full IM - what did I do???? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Doing a HIM during First IM Training

Started by Susan Kay
Views: 1353 Posts: 12

2013-04-14 6:54 AM Susan Kay

IM Done. 1/2 IM in a month

Started by piyushdabomb
Views: 2558 Posts: 13

2011-09-11 6:37 PM piyushdabomb

Andyone doing their first HIM or IM in 2011 Pages: 1 2

Started by jdbadger
Views: 6426 Posts: 40

2010-12-09 5:27 AM countryvoodoo

First 1/2 IM done - Cramping

Started by beadams
Views: 984 Posts: 7

2007-07-17 2:09 PM JohnnyKay

Doing another race after your first IM

Started by runnergirl29
Views: 1174 Posts: 12

2006-05-30 6:17 AM O2BFast
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"