General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling computer advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-25 9:16 PM

Subject: Cycling computer advice
Hi all,
Can some of you computer savvy folks educate me here? Here's the situation:

I currently run a padrone smart on my bike. With it, I have a cadence and speed sensor that communicate Bluetooth. I also have a stages power meter that synced up Bluetooth, and then I bought a cheap after market heart rate strap that syncs up as well. Actually this little $60 computer has been quite impressive with all the info it will receive and display.

I've been contemplating upgrading computers, and am starting to look at all these garmin options. However I'm wondering what advantages I would gain if I picked up an Edge 520, for example. I guess one reason I was looking to upgrade is because I can't upload any data from my padrone to anything, but I'm not sure newer computers do either.

Lastly, would it just benefit me more to purchase something like a 920xt? I need to upgrade my old running gps watch anyway, and being that 2017 will be the year I go after the full ironman, maybe now is the time to splurge.

I welcome all advice, and thanks in advance!

2016-11-25 10:36 PM
in reply to: #5205886

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Cycling computer advice
Edge would let you upload all the info into garmin connect/strava/training peaks.

With the stages you don't need a stand alone cadence. Most garmin stuff is ant+. Which will work with the power meter. If you buy it new it will probably come with its own HR monitor.

I have a 910xt and love it. But, I just picked up a edge 500 for dedicated bike riding.

The triathlon series watches are really nice. Most can do everything you seem to be asking from it.
2016-11-26 7:46 AM
in reply to: linkslefty

User image

Extreme Veteran
If you have a powermeter you are going to want to learn to upload and analyze the data

The advantage of a dedicated bike computer is usually a bigger screen and easier to read.
The advantage of a watch like the 310/910/920 is they can also act as a running or swimming watch

With a Stages, beware they are known to have connectivity issues with watches and Stages tend to work better with displays like the 500/510/520

A 500 is a very good basic unit for use with power.
Only downside IMO is having to use a cable to get the data off it. The 520 will do it wirelessly. You can get 500s for quite cheap.

A 500 is probably a safe and good option. If you go the 910/920 route make sure you have the option to return it. As I said, many people have had connectivity problems between Stages and the 9xx. For some it works just fine.
2016-11-26 7:48 AM
in reply to: #5205889

So my issue with cycling computers is that I need one that is Bluetooth compatible because everything else I have is Bluetooth, not any+. Is that an issue with the garmins?
2016-11-26 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by linkslefty

So my issue with cycling computers is that I need one that is Bluetooth compatible because everything else I have is Bluetooth, not any+. Is that an issue with the garmins?

Yes, you cannot use Garmins if you go Bluetooth.
I always thought Stages did both but may be mistaken, double check that.
Polar did Bluetooth but at one point they were not great with third party powermeters. Maybe that has changed.
2016-11-26 10:29 AM
in reply to: #5205896

So no garmin is Bluetooth compatible? Is there another recommended bike computer that is? Or would the tri watch take the place? Can you upload data to programs using a 920, for example?

2016-11-26 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So no garmin is Bluetooth compatible? Is there another recommended bike computer that is? Or would the tri watch take the place? Can you upload data to programs using a 920, for example?

No Garmins speak to Bluetooth sensors (power meters, HR, cadence...). They only do Ant+ to sensors.
Some do talk to your phone via Bluetooth but only for data upload and configuration. Same goes for Garmin watches.

Polar does Bluetooth I believe. So does Suunto. Wahoo I believe makes bike computers that do BT

If you Stages does Ant+ and BT you may want to consider switching to Ant+.

2016-11-26 4:25 PM
in reply to: #5205906

So it appears my stages does also communicate in ant+, and can measure rpm as well. I guess that means I would only need an ant+ hr strap to use with a new computer. With budget being a concern, is there a specific garmin you would recommend? I'd like to use it to display watts, cadence, hr and/or speed, and be able to upload to training peaks through my laptop somehow, wired or not.

Thanks again in advance for all the help.
2016-11-26 4:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So it appears my stages does also communicate in ant+, and can measure rpm as well. I guess that means I would only need an ant+ hr strap to use with a new computer. With budget being a concern, is there a specific garmin you would recommend? I'd like to use it to display watts, cadence, hr and/or speed, and be able to upload to training peaks through my laptop somehow, wired or not.

Thanks again in advance for all the help.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Classifieds_...
2016-11-27 7:36 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I have a 310XT that has a cracked face so I can't use it for races (swimming), but works perfectly well as a bike computer and with the hardware, can be mounted to a wrist band and used for running. I actually use 2 computers, the 310XT to give me HR and power, and a Cateye for speed and distance. I like data.
2016-11-28 8:51 PM

Garmin 520 or better. I believe a couple months of Strava premium is offered when you buy it and you can then download and run live segments on the device. Then get out there and go crazy.

2016-11-29 6:38 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Exton, PA
If your going bike specific I would suggest the 520 or the 820. I believe the 820 will give you step by step directions with map on screen when you put directions in, I don't think the 520 does the map(could be wrong).

Some guys I ride with have 1000, and have lots of issues with it.
2016-11-29 10:03 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by linkslefty So it appears my stages does also communicate in ant+, and can measure rpm as well. I guess that means I would only need an ant+ hr strap to use with a new computer. With budget being a concern, is there a specific garmin you would recommend? I'd like to use it to display watts, cadence, hr and/or speed, and be able to upload to training peaks through my laptop somehow, wired or not. Thanks again in advance for all the help.
For a HRM, Wahoo has some dual ANT+ & BTLE models, I picked up the Tickr for $40/free shipping last year.  I can use it with my phone and my bike computer.

2016-11-29 2:08 PM
in reply to: Donto

Well, I ended up buying a 910xt super cheap on ebay (it was recommended by a local friend). I was told it can double nicely as a cycling computer, although I'll probably buy a 520 or something similar when tri season gets closer. I syced up my trainerroad app to training peaks just last night so it looks like between that app and the 910 I can easily get all that data into TP and still have what I need on the bike for now.

Not to derail the thread, but if you all have any training peaks advice or shortcuts let me know, I'm brand new to it all.

And thanks to everyone who responded!
2016-11-29 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Well, I ended up buying a 910xt super cheap on ebay (it was recommended by a local friend). I was told it can double nicely as a cycling computer, although I'll probably buy a 520 or something similar when tri season gets closer. I syced up my trainerroad app to training peaks just last night so it looks like between that app and the 910 I can easily get all that data into TP and still have what I need on the bike for now.

Not to derail the thread, but if you all have any training peaks advice or shortcuts let me know, I'm brand new to it all.

And thanks to everyone who responded!

Only advice with TP is et your zones properly. For swim, bike & run, power, pace and HR.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling computer advice Rss Feed