General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Giant Trinity Advanced or used Cervelo P2? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-30 9:20 AM

Subject: New Giant Trinity Advanced or used Cervelo P2?
I have an opportunity to buy a lightly used 2012 Cervelo P2 for $1100. If I buy this, at the very least I will also have to spend $150 to be properly fit, and will either need to upgrade the rear derailleur and shifter to 11 speed or get a new cartridge for my wheels (much nicer than what's on it). And I'm assuming I will need to get it tuned up as well, even if it hasn't been ridden a lot. This bike is in excellent condition.

My local bike shop will sell me a 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced for $1800. This comes with lifetime fitting, and of course I wouldn't need to upgrade anything or tune it up. I also get the warranty, which I hope I would never need anyway.

Curious to hear your thoughts on this. On the one hand, buying new brings some security and of course it's more exciting than getting something used. But that's a big difference in price. Have there been any changes in the last four years which would make new more compelling than used?

Thanks in advance!

2016-11-30 8:23 PM
in reply to: btellington

Subject: RE: New Giant Trinity Advanced or used Cervelo P2?
While there have certainly been advances in bike design/construction over the past 4 years, you are looking at 2 fantastic bikes. The question is always, which is best for you! If you are able to get a "diagnostic" fit from a shop, that should greatly help you decide if one frame is a better fit for you than another. I would always prefer a bike that fits me/handles well, over one that might be a tad fancier, nicer, newer etc.

Just a few pointers when purchasing a used bike (we deal with tons of them here at MBS): inspect the frame closely, especially a carbon frame, for any dents, cracks etc. In many cases, the owner might also not know they are there! Pay close attention to the state of all the bearings on the bike, the true of the wheels, etc, since these can lead to repairs that would reduce the cost difference between new and used. If you aren't confident in your own abilities, a shop I used to work at would always offer for folks buying a used bike to meet the seller at our shop, and a mechanic would check it over free of charge, your local shop might be willing to do the same. Also, take into account the cost of adjusting the saddle/stems/handlebars to get your preferred position, as many shops would at least offer you a discount on this gear with the purchase of a new bike. But if you do your due diligence, you can find fantastic deals on lightly used equipment! Best of luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Giant Trinity Advanced or used Cervelo P2? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Giant Trinity Advanced, anyone ride one?

Started by gary p
Views: 829 Posts: 2

2016-10-03 1:11 PM gary p

HELP: Typical Cervelo P2 Ultegra used prices

Started by jperchard
Views: 1262 Posts: 2

2014-06-15 8:34 AM audiojan

Used Giant Rapid or new Trek Lexa SL?

Started by iluvry
Views: 1338 Posts: 4

2013-07-16 8:00 AM EKH

09 giant trinity 2 vs. 07 cervelo dual