General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New kind of pain. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-01 2:17 AM

Subject: New kind of pain.
Hey everyone,
My name is Shanel and I'm currently entering the world of triathlons. I bought my first road bike last Friday (2016 trek lexa c). I have 2 marathons(3:47) and 7 half marathons(1:40) under my belt. This past Sunday I got 16 miles in on the bike followed by a 2 mile run for fun. I wanted to see what my legs were like. Tuesday I rode another 16 and then 10 today. I love the freedom accompanied with it. I'm just curious if anyone has any beginner tips?

Thank you in advance ??

2016-12-01 8:40 AM
in reply to: shaneltris

Subject: RE: New kind of pain.
Welcome Shanel,

I, too, never owned a road bike until getting into tri. Former mountain biker. I can't believe how much easier these are to ride than fat tire bikes, haha.

Much more qualified people can give you tips but I would start by saying you are doing this for fun so keep it that way. Don't overtrain. Get Joe Feiel's Triathlete Training Bible to gain insight on training concepts. Get some clip on aero bars for that road bike and learn to ride aero. It is your friend on long training rides and during triathlon events.

Good luck!
2016-12-02 3:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: New kind of pain.

Originally posted by shaneltris Hey everyone, My name is Shanel and I'm currently entering the world of triathlons. I bought my first road bike last Friday (2016 trek lexa c). I have 2 marathons(3:47) and 7 half marathons(1:40) under my belt. This past Sunday I got 16 miles in on the bike followed by a 2 mile run for fun. I wanted to see what my legs were like. Tuesday I rode another 16 and then 10 today. I love the freedom accompanied with it. I'm just curious if anyone has any beginner tips? Thank you in advance ??

You sound like me two years ago.  I did two marathons (3:14) and seven half Marathons (1:22) before I started training for a local 70.3 race.  

I was living in a small town with no tri clubs, no running clubs, no master swim classes, no bike shops, etc.  I had a few ideas about how to train for a Triathlon and knew what type of key work outs would required to be ready for an endurance race so I wrote my own training plan and followed it all the way up to my first race.  I found BT after I was already more than half way into my training.  It helped being able to ask others people what to expect on race day and to hear what they did in their races and how things went.  I thought that after a break from running to do a triathlon I would go back to work on some of my running goals but I found that I too loved the freedom of riding the bike getting in a power swim sessions over my lunch break.

I am not sure what tips you need.  Your running background and race experience seems really solid so you should transition well.  I was worried about doing a 70.3 race because it was almost twice as long as a Marathon and I hated Marathons.  I am golden up to about 18 miles running but Marathons are too far for me so I didn't know how I was going to survive race twice as long.  I did the training and showed up on race day as fit I had ever been in my life.  I was confidant that thing would go well and relieved to discover that spending twice as much time race in a triathlon is easier to do than racing half that time in a Marathon.  

If you have questions ask.  The questions I had before my first race showed how green I was but everyone was a great help and if I hadn't asked them I would have been a lot worse off on race day. 

What race are you training for?

Edited by BlueBoy26 2016-12-02 3:54 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New kind of pain. Rss Feed