Canada
Cove Communications
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 07m 8s
Overall Rank = 21/35
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and ate a nice blend of Plain Yogurt and Vector! HIGHLY recommend this to anybody!! Got informed of the rain, yes!! Packed cars and headed out. Stopped at starbucks for coffee. Yum. Met Auds in the parking lot and got to transition. Got some sweet placements on our racks. It was great. Noticed a woman that seemed familiar to me, it happened to be MELANIE MCQUAID. Only the best racer ever!! Well, she is the tops in my books for sure. Said hello and introduced myself. I talked to her on email(she even remembered who I was!) and she told me to have a great race and good luck on the bike. I told her I was a bit nervous of the bike since I have not did dirt for years. I wished her luck and left her alone after that. Buzzed around with the girls and went to the can had to return to get my water bottle. I tell you, if I did not have my head screwed on, I would forget it somewhere!! Leah, can attest to that!
Event warmup:

Went into the water, It was delightful. Nothing too bad. Did a few swim drills and just pissed around in the water. Watched the full course athletes finish there first lap
Swim
  • 16m 29s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started great, felt I had great lines Just started going. Then I looked up and noticed that I was way, way off line. Had to get back online then never got passed or passed anybody after that! Leah, never even yelled at me can you believe that!! Then the swim exit was marked by white flags. Hard to spot! But I did it and caught up to Leah in Transition. Said goodbye to her and let her take off(let in I could not keep up if I tried)
What would you do differently?:

Get a better line and draft.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Slow transition for me. Too much to get on, gloves and the like but I got out there!

Set up differntly, remember a towel.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 50s
  • 15 kms
  • 10.87 km/hr
Comments:

The course was scary for me. I have not did any dirt for years. I still remembered some of the important part. The blue goose did great no flats or anything. I got caught by one woman from The Wack and we chatted and she helped me through the rest of the bike. She helped me big time with keeping up and speeding on the flats.

Not Choose to do an off road race with no experiance 1 day before the race. Not buy a bike to ride one day before the race. Damn Expensive gloves Eh Leah?
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Fast transition like 10 seconds. Really fast.
No clipless pedals and I just shot out of the gate.
Noticed Leahs bike was there, not even moving, I knew She kicked me by then!

Nothing. SPEED was awesome
Run
  • 27m 51s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 34s  min/km
Comments:

I took off and started running, had to stop in the aid station to get my gel opened since I had wet fingers, this did not happen so good then I just took off. Up the hill and Mel passed me going down. So I never thought I would see her again. Howled at the howling tree and then took my gloves off. Mel then passed me. I said you know what, I think I can keep up with her. Well I did. I was running fast but way faster than my 5k pace and had to stop chasing her at the bridge. More training needed for this. At the floating bridge, seen the person who was about to hand me my ass. Yep, it was Leah, the Doc high fived me and I started up the big horse shoe loop. I was doing good and then I got really tired. WALKED for about 10 secs and said this is stupid and started going again. Glad I did. The down hill I crushed. I mean I was rocking down hill. Passed a couple of people. and then booted it back to the bridge and up the hill to the Howler tree. Down and booked it to the finish. No finishing kick at all as I was COOKED.

Train more on bricks!!
Post race
Warm down:

Just got some water and seen Leah. YEah she was waiting for me. THen she teased me and said this: " I got to see Mel cross the line"! Yep she was rubbing it in!! Oh well. It was a blast. A great great day! Waited around for the Draw prizes and was chatting to the girls. Found out that Not everybody knows me. Unreal! Then I heard my Name called for something. I was stoked I ran up there eager to get my draw prize and they shook my hand and handed me a trophy, I was flabergasted. My first trophy in tri on the off road! Well, I had to say, are you sure, She said yep 30-34 DUATHLON... I handed back my trophy and went out to the timing booth to fix my times. Tears were welling up! DAMN THEM!! I never even won a draw prize in the rain! BUT KELLY GUEST AND MELANIE MCQUAID won the over all events. An 11 year old won the 10k Trail race in women! Unbelievable!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training on off road.
Obviously my SWIM and my BIKE need more speed as you can tell with my overall numbers. I could use a bit more brick training which probably would have gotten my run a bit faster. Not Race Mel!

Event comments:

Will try and convice myself and the Docc to do the full!!

Last updated: 2006-09-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:29 | 750 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 21/35
Performance: Below average
Suit: Orca
Course: Clock wise loop of 750 M. 2 boys and 2 white markers on the exit.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:22:50 | 15 kms | 10.87 km/hr
Age Group: 8/9
Overall: 25/35
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: 3 5k loops of some pavement up hill, THen off road with some nice rollers then down some rocks and switch backs. Then on some single track. First lap in the rain. Nervous as stink. 2nd lap pretty good got through most of the switch backs. 3rd lap very good, wish I could have did all the laps that quick
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:51 | 05 kms | 05m 34s  min/km
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 9/35
Performance: Good
Course: 1 loop of off road Uphill and technical run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-09-09 11:58 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: XTC Vancouver Half Course

2006-09-10 11:13 AM
in reply to: #535458

User image

Subject: RE: XTC Vancouver Half Course

Jeez, Dan.. for a guy who got off course in the swim and biked offroad for the first time on a brand NEW bike, I'd say you spanked this race.

Ya shoulda just kept the trophy and ran. 

2006-09-11 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC

I wanted Karma points you know!!

Next time gadget, next time!!

Thanks Allison.

Edited by Crazypop 2006-09-11 10:19 AM
2006-09-12 9:20 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-09-12 12:46 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-09-15 11:09 AM

Pro
Vancouver, BC
When I read the line that you obviously needed more speed on the bike, I was shocked. You bought the bike the day before and you haven't ridden off road for a long time so I'd say you kicked . Way to go just going out there and doing it. You are my hero of the month.

Great job Dan.

Jen

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTC Vancouver Half Course Rss Feed