General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Last Event/Training in 2011 -- Am I Able to Start Over Again? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-02 7:24 AM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
Subject: Last Event/Training in 2011 -- Am I Able to Start Over Again?
Was into SBR for a while, maybe 9-12 months or a little more.

Did a Sprint after about 8-9 weeks training, then couple months later another.
Then about 6 months total into Triathlon training ran the inaugural Augusta 70.3, and then rested a bit and trained a bit for a couple months after - then fell off the planet.

So, now about 5 years later, 5 years older, about 25-30 lbs. heavier again and at the ripe old age of 51 -- do I even dare start training again.

I've not committed to any events, or any set training schedule or even when I might show up at a gym, pool, or trail again or whether I'll get my old Felt S32 tuned up (I think that is what it is) ....I did at least just sign up for the Silver membership whilst the deal was still going.

So anyhow - we will see. My biggest motivation at this point is seeing my 70's something mother in critical care at the hospital, suffering from a stoke and multiple other health conditions brought on by an inactive and poor lifestyle.

I never want my wife, children and other loved ones to go through with me, what I'm currently going through.
So maybe, just maybe I'll attempt training again ...or maybe hopefully if I hang around with enough of the right "healthy lifestyle minded" people that something will rub off on me and I'll do something, if even just taking more walks.

2016-12-02 7:43 AM
in reply to: klowman

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: RE: Last Event/Training in 2011 -- Am I Able to Start Over Again?

Sorry to hear about your mother. Certainly, you can start over. Ease into it, and let us know how it goes!

2016-12-02 8:37 AM
in reply to: LundyLund

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by LundyLund

Sorry to hear about your mother. Certainly, you can start over. Ease into it, and let us know how it goes!

x2 - people do it all the time. Keep your expectations in check and treat yourself as if you're new to all of it (forget where you were). That said, muscle memory is an amazing thing. 

Really sorry to hear about your mom. 

2016-12-02 9:33 AM
in reply to: klowman

, Wisconsin
Very sorry to hear about your Mom. But yes, you can certainly do it. I originally did Triathlons in my early-mid 30s. 13 races, mostly Olys with one HIM. Then I quit, put on about 40 pounds at my weight peak. Had a number of health issues over the years that I thought meant my running days were over. Fast forward to the year I was turning 60. By that time I had dropped probably 30 pounds through better diet and working out pretty consistently at the Y. Some strength training, mostly light aerobic stuff, some hiking. One day in February I just decided I was going to do a Sprint that coming June. I started swimming again for the first time in many years. I started running really short distances at easy pace with lots of walking thrown in. Race day was beautiful and challenging. The swim and bike went very well, but the first 1/4 mile or so of the run I was really struggling. The thought of walking popped into my head, but I keep running and made it to the finish line. I was over 20 minutes faster than my initial "plan" had been. Now, 2 1/2 years later I've completed 7 more Sprints of varying distances and a number of 5Ks. Next year I'm planning to do an Olympic, 29 years after my last one.

I really believe that our bodies need a LOT of quality exercise to stay healthy and strong. Doing anything is better than doing nothing, but doing more, and doing quality work is even better. Training for Triathlon is a great way to do well balanced and quality training.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Last Event/Training in 2011 -- Am I Able to Start Over Again? Rss Feed