General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help, got arthritis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-03 4:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: help, got arthritis
I'm really bummed. I've been at this a few years but never gave it the time, never consistent enough with the training, to come in anything but near last in some sprints and an oly.

Finally got committed and started training this Sept, instead of my usual Feb/March. Have three three month training plans to get me to a kick oly. An intro sprint, intro oly, intermediate oly plan.

No matter how little I ran, my knees hurt. I'd do less, down to 2 min. run/1 min. walk. Pain. Took off a week, didn't help.
Family doctor took x-rays and says I have arthritis mild in one knee, moderate in the other.

Can you even diagnose arthritis in an x-ray?

Knowing it is arthritis makes me feel like rest days don't matter, so just train and take ibuprofen as needed?

I was so happy that I was more focused than ever. I want my kids to see mom not coming in last. I'm taking swim lessons with a TI instructor who works with triathletes and treated myself to a decent road bike and trainer.

What do I do? I should mention I'm 57. I know the first thing is to lose these last 15 lbs, they are only making things worse. Would doing some of my treadmill workouts on an elliptical machine make a difference?

Has anyone gotten past this hurdle? Figure I'm heading to knee replacements, don't mind if it's sooner than later.

Mitzi

2016-12-06 1:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: help, got arthritis

Yes, arthritis can be diagnosed via x-rays.  I have osteoarthritis in both my knees and 6 years ago had one scoped to scrape out some grade 4 nastiness.  I continue to run, bike, play ice hockey, etc. even though those activities often makes my knees extra achy for a day or so. I've learned that being inactive makes them hurt far worse than being active.  They feel better if I stay active.

In my own experience, I can say that losing weight such as the 15 lbs. you mentioned makes a world of difference for the better.  Quoting the following from arthritis.org: "Every pound of excess weight exerts about 4 pounds of extra pressure on the knees. So a person who is 10 pounds overweight has 40 pounds of extra pressure on his knees; if a person is 100 pounds overweight, that is 400 pounds of extra pressure on his knees."  

I will also say, again, YMMV,  that while at first running made them hurt a lot, the more I adapted to running,  the less my knees hurt.  Icing and OTC meds can help after a run, I tend to stick to just icing unless they are really, really hurting as I personally don't like to overdo things like ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.  Take your time adapting to running, doing walk/run intervals and start with shorter distances, gradually increasing the time/distance you run.  Best of luck to you!

Edited by melbo55 2016-12-06 1:53 PM
2016-12-06 6:11 PM

, Wisconsin
There’s hope . . . When I was far younger I did quite a bit of damage to my knees. At various points in my life they’ve given me a fair amount of grief. Three years ago I went through an extensive orthopedic evaluation of both knees including MRIs. I was told that I’m bone on bone in both knees as well as missing my left ACL completely and other issues. It was recommended that I do not run, but swim, bike, strength train etc. They told me the longer I can hold off till getting full replacements the better and I certainly agree.

Here’s the good part . . . It’s a long story, but I’ll shorten it to the bare bones. A couple of months after that evaluation something told me that I should give running and triathlon a shot. I had done a number of Tri 26 years earlier and loved it. I remembered that when I was training for Tri was probably the best I ever felt physically. Four months later I completed a Sprint and I’ve now done eight more Sprints of various lengths as well as a handful of 5Ks. I now have less pain in my knees than before I started training. For me, the following tactics have been successful so far:
* I run low volumes, and when I build mileage or intensity I do it very gradually.

*If for some reason I haven’t run for more than a couple of weeks, I start back with mixing up run/walk until I can build my way back up.

*Proportionately, I probably bike more than I should, but it helps overall fitness and my knees tolerate it well.

*Swimming is like biking, as far as my knees are concerned, the more the better.

*I try to run really “light”, short strides, try to land midfoot instead of heal etc.

*Knees, (and everything else), definitely feel better the less I weigh. Holidays and winter are kinda hard, I’m almost 10 pounds over my summer weight right now.

*I spend money on good shoes and rotate them for different runs.

*I ice my knees as much as possible, not because they hurt, but as a preventative because it helps keep them from hurting.

All the best of luck to you. I’d suggest sticking with a very easy but consistent approach for a while and see how it goes!

Edited by MikeD1 2016-12-06 6:11 PM
2016-12-06 9:00 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

I tend to get knee problems from time to time. I take a NSAID from time to time. Someone once told me "your knees hurt because you have weak hamstrings and quads ". I honestly find that when my knees start bothering me I will spend 2 to 3 days a week at the gym working my lower core / hamstrings and quads. Within a few weeks of this my knees hurt much less or barely at all
2016-12-06 10:56 PM
in reply to: Chitwnnole

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Thank you. I had no idea how common this is. I'm really inspired!
2017-03-24 4:42 AM

My grandmother was dealing with knee pain. We had consulted with the doctor and her diagnostic process has begun. It was very painful for her when she walks and very difficult for her to take a bath in the traditional tub. So the doctor has recommended to get in contact with the professionals of walk in tub Spokane valley and install a walk-in bathtub in her bathroom because walk-in bathtub has less than 4-inch step up and it also had hydrotherapy features which accelerate the healing process by developing the blood vessels and increasing blood flow to aching area or in the damaged tissue.

Edited by MorrisWilliams 2017-03-24 4:42 AM

2017-03-24 8:10 AM
in reply to: MorrisWilliams

User image

Oviedo, Florida
I also have Osteoarthritis in my knee. Like Mike mentioned above, I'm also bone on bone. I ended up fracturing my femur and tibia because of the bone on bone and x-rays and MRI showed there's really nothing left in my knee. Cartilage, miniscus - pretty much everything has disintegrated.

I went to two different surgeons - both said I need a full knee replacement and both refused to do it because they said they knew I would run on my new knee and ruin the appliance (Sorry...but I'm calling B.S. on that). The MRI also showed my left knee looked like a 90 year old while my right knee looked like an 18 year old (these are the radiologists words). I'm 55 so if my right knee looks like an 18 year old, I must be doing something correct.

Both surgeons said I "Would NEVER run again". Uh...sorry guys, wrong answer.

So.....

I got an offloader brace made by DonJoy. This thing is way expensive, but it's custom made to my leg.. I did pool running for 10 weeks to rehab my leg, then hit the road.

I'm very happy to say I'm regularly running 40+ miles per week. I will NOT say it's pain free. Yeah...there's pain, but it's tolerable. Without the brace I know I'd be watching from the sidelines.

I'm doing my first Iron distance race in a week, so the brace has kept me going.

I'll echo what others have said...

* If you think you need to lose some weight... Then DO IT. Talk to a nutritionist, dietitian, or just stay way from the refrigerator door. But whatever you can do to get the weight off your knee, but all means do so.

* Learn to run with good form! This is key. I coach track and cross country at the local high school and this is the most important thing to keep runners strong and healthy.

* Not sure what kind of arthritis you have, but the DonJoy offloader brace has definitely worked for me. Insurance helped my pay for part of it, but I had to pony up several hundred bucks to make up the difference. Might be worth looking ito.

* Stretch after you work out. Use a Foam Roller and get the Stick. Anything you can do to keep the calves and quads healthy will help your knees.

Best of luck!

--
Dave
2017-03-24 9:05 PM
in reply to: davetib

User image

Bronze member

I do not have arthritis but I have had trouble with chronic tendon inflammation in the past. I kept reading a lot about the anti inflammatory benefits of turmeric. 

http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/treatments/natural/supplements-herbs/guide/turmeric.php

I've changed my diet (I do best when I eliminate gluten, dairy and corn), added turmeric, magnesium and fish oil and have a lot less trouble with inflammation. Just something to think about. 

http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/anti-inflammatory-ra-diet#10

Not trying to play doctor, just sharing some things that have helped me!

2017-03-25 11:30 AM
in reply to: #5206749

New user
I think you 've gotten some really good advice so far. Once your knees have reached the point of bone on bone, the definitive treatment is total knee replacement. However, once you have the surgery, NO more running. The materials used don't last forever and running will greatly speed that process up. A second knee replacement on the same knee is a very risky procedure and often is not possible. The good news is that you can keep running as long as you want as long as you can deal with the discomfort. Lose some weight if possible. Strengthening regimen. Try to find softer surfaces to run on. Best of luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help, got arthritis Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help on getting daughter into tris

Started by MarkQuiet
Views: 1150 Posts: 23

2006-08-22 4:16 PM captantony

Left Foot getting numb while running...HELP!

Started by Yellowk8t
Views: 1162 Posts: 8

2006-07-04 10:44 PM Clare44

Help - I'm getting slower

Started by tim_edwards
Views: 879 Posts: 7

2005-03-24 3:50 PM mikericci

NEed help getting back into swim of things..

Started by macaco
Views: 905 Posts: 5

2005-02-10 10:03 PM Gwendal

Help getting company sponsorship: your ideas?

Started by Whit
Views: 564 Posts: 2

2004-07-06 11:45 AM triman50
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : February 11, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Is my childhood groin injury to blame for my recent pain while running? It just hurts when I'm running, not during day to day activities.
date : April 9, 2007
comments : 1
I realized my 50 mile/week running career was over. Now what? I was only 30 years old. I did what I could to stay active – switched to biking and swimming.

date : December 18, 2006
Are there other triathletes who have compensated for lack of running due to arthritis? How is that done or how is it managed?
date : September 4, 2004
author : adumey
comments : 1
Willing yourself to train despite the seemingly endless distractions that cross your path and the inner-voices of self-doubt is inspiring.

date : September 4, 2004
author : adumey
The start down the road to a Half Ironman.