General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Please help this newb tweek his training plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-05 10:19 AM

Subject: Please help this newb tweek his training plan
Hello,

I’m a 47 y.o. runner from Massachusetts, getting into triathlons for the 1st time. I’ve been running for 8 years and have notched several marathons, my PR from 2 years ago is 2:47:06. I have zero/nada experience cycling. I asked someone the other day if your trailing foot “pulls up” on the pedals; that’s how little I know about cycling, lol. As far swimming goes, I was a swimmer from a young age and was considered the “swimmer” in the local boy scout troop (swimming, life guarding and the mile-swim merit badges, lol) although I have no idea how “efficient” a swimmer I am. I haven’t swum and years and have never really done it for exercise. I don’t fear open water swimming.

I’m more interested in half/full IMs as opposed to sprints. I’ve always been intrigued by longer distance grueling, “will-to-go-on” type endurance events. I’d rather run a marathon than a 5K. I plan on doing a half IM next July, if that goes well possibly a full by the end of 2017.

For training, I’m under the assumption I need to work on swim/cycling endurance over and above anything else. I really have no idea where to start. I’m thinking of starting a beginner Olympic plan and do a simulated Olympic IM in March then immediately start training for the half (with another simulated Olympic in May or June). Is that the right approach? Bonus question, should I do any type of speed-work in 2017 if ever decide to be competitive in the future? Does it make sense to buy a power meter from the get-go?

Joe

2016-12-05 3:08 PM
in reply to: joay11

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Please help this newb tweek his training plan
Joe,

If you are definitely going to do a half-IM in July, I would go ahead and do a 20-week half-iron plan. Since you would have a few weeks before it starts, you could repeat the first week a few times, or do a winter maintenance plan until it starts.

Since your running is so strong, you don't need to worry too much. Beginners are much more likely to be injured from overdoing the running, versus overdoing cycling or swimming, both of which are more gentle.

Some plans we have here:

Free half iron:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plan...

Bike-focused winter maintenance:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plan...

2016-12-05 3:29 PM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Please help this newb tweek his training plan
Ditto on what Alice wrote! With a strong run base I would hit the bike hard starting soon to get a good bike base. With a run like that you will want to feel strong off the bike so you can take FULL advantage of it. And of course, get your swim groove on.

Keep swim sets simple, do lots of 100's. Long continous swims are fine but they won't make you faster in the water. If available, the best thing you can do for swimming is join a local masters swim group. Show up, do the workout, done easy not too much thinking.

During these winters months I typical do a couple 1 hour interval bike workouts (ride hard for 3-5 min, easy for 1-2 min, repeat 5x etc.) then one longer ride maybe 1.5 hours with medium intensity but for longer periods of time (10-15 min etc.).

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Please help this newb tweek his training plan Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

NEWb - training in Oakland CA

Started by nishp123
Views: 546 Posts: 2

2013-05-10 1:51 PM melbo55

Need help getting going again!!! Please

Started by budman
Views: 1154 Posts: 8

2010-11-02 6:11 PM MUSKOKAFIVEOH

Need help please!!

Started by Schmelzle
Views: 1327 Posts: 9

2010-11-04 11:49 PM MGF310

Please Help us Support Firefighters

Started by TeamFirefighter
Views: 739 Posts: 2

2007-01-14 3:51 PM TeamFirefighter

Palm Beach County, FL - Newb in Training!

Started by edwardskrod
Views: 609 Posts: 8

2006-06-01 11:46 PM edwardskrod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Wouldn't it be cool if you could move your workouts around to different days? You can!

date : December 17, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
What if your workouts magically appeared in your calendar?
date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.