General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Smaller Bike frame...any consequences?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-09 6:37 AM

Subject: Smaller Bike frame...any consequences??
Hello
I just found out that I am riding an smaller frame for me.... It's 52 and I should use 54 or even 56...
Is there any issues with this based on you experience?
I don't experience discomfort at all..

Any thoughts would be helpful!

2016-12-09 7:07 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Smaller Bike frame...any consequences??
How did you find out that you're on a too small of a frame?

Keep in mind that a 52 is just a number with, in reality, quite little meaning. You can measure a frame in multiple different ways, using different reference points, etc. Hence a 52 may very well be a 56 from another brand, or a 50 from a 3rd, 54 from a 4th, medium from a 5th, etc. etc. etc. etc.

If you were indeed on a too small of a frame, then there's a few tell tale signs. First, you have way too much steerer tube exposed, and the seat post would be excessively long (the latter is not a real problem though, as long as you have enough in the frame not to compromise strength). Second, you tend to be a bit compressed on the bike (insufficient reach), or force to ride much slacker than you really should (which compresses the hip angle). Third, and probably the biggest problem, your weight distribution is moved towards the periphery rather than the center of the bike which leads to instability (or less stability that you should have).

Edited by audiojan 2016-12-09 7:10 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Smaller Bike frame...any consequences?? Rss Feed