General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why faster on short swim sets? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-12-24 9:05 AM
in reply to: aribloch

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Why faster on short swim sets?

More strength can sound nice, but how you develop it matters a lot. As was said before, your catch is almost non existent. Your elbow is dropping very early and a lot, almost like you're going to hit someone in the gut with it. You can work very hard like this, but as you've seen with the swim times it's really not effective. You have to learn how to get a better grip on the water during the time you're trying to pull. More "strength" isn't necessarily going to do that as your arms aren't really ever making a decent catch. Need to get a better idea of what to do there so that the fitness gains will have more relevance. 

3mar has put up a lot of drawings to that can help. Your arm extension out front is at least in the ball park. More important (for now) seems to be continuing to slip your arm around and down so that your hand and and forearm are vertical way more early in the stroke. This feels very awkward when not used to it. You may have heard of sliding your arm over a barrel or other expression. Getting your arm in position. 3mar had a bunch of the markings showing how your arm  is kind of arching the wrong direction here. When you get into a better position, you're not pushing water back so much as creating a more solid anchor to pull forward. When done well, it's more like sticking your your arm in the mud as it's so much more solid.

Developing this arm position is what much of the fitness improvements are for. It's not just pulling hard, but pulling well. And may actually be more with the latter than the former. When you get some idea of what you're trying to do, you keep on swimming while pressing on your ability to do this. You'll figure out how to do it while in the water and by doing it over and over again with an emphasis on doing this well you'll develop the necessary fitness to press it more, better, and longer. Tendons & muscles will expand their range of motion and their strength throughout that range. Any fitness gains have to come on top of swimming well. And the gains will come along with a lot of swimming well. So keep emphasizing swimming well. That never, ever stops.

2016-12-24 11:37 AM

Originally posted by aribloch Thanks very much 3mar for the picture analysis, it really helps.
Originally posted by yazmaster

the lack of power/muscular endurance is by farrrr the dominant feature.

Yes, I suppose it's time to put in some serious gym work on those arms..... scrawny as they are

To clarify -

Gym work on the arms is NOT what i'm referring to with regards to muscular endurance/power in the swim stroke, and working hard in on your arms/lats in the gym will NOT translate to faster pool times. 

You have to develop muscular endurance specifically in the swim stroke pattern of movement. It's not about how 'buff' your muscles are - it's about how often they can fire hard in that specific swim-motion that is best for pulling water (early vertical forearm.) The swim stroke requires a coordinated set of unnatural motions, and the whole stroke doesn't work if you don't develop it specifically. Bodybuilding type workouts do NOT help with distance swimming. Swimming a LOT (and faster) helps with distance swimming.

It takes a lot of work, and your technique will be far from good when you start, but do not let that hold you back. In fact, you will not be able to do the correct EVF until you build up significant endurance in the motion, which means that EVF will start off ugly, but improve little by little as you swim more and more. 

Keep striving to have the best form possible as the diagrams posted before, but don't let perfection get in the way of practice and training. 

2016-12-24 1:06 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Katy, Texas
As with the above statements, the gym won't help you. Work on your form in the pool and swim a lot. You don't (and won't be able to) have an early vertical forearm right away. I've been swimming for years and I'm almost kind of there, but still not quite. Honestly, the next time you go in the pool try to just keep your arm straight from when it enters the water until it is perpendicular to your body and facing straight down. This is definitely not good form but it is MUCH better than what you're doing now, and will give you more forward propulsion. You'll probably notice your arms will get tired pretty quickly, but don't let that elbow drop. Keep your arm straight and you will at least be part of the way there. Also, it will be easy for you to adjust as it is simple, as opposed to trying to achieve an EVF right from the get go.
2016-12-24 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Yes. This is a far better plan... read up on a training method called USRPT... and get help with your technique.

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Yes. This is a far better plan... read up on a training method called USRPT... and get help with your technique.

User image

Veteran
Great White North

User image

Veteran
Great White North
2016-12-26 9:40 PM
in reply to: #5207211

New user
Bo KNOWs swimming! (And he'll tell you so! Lol). Keep plugging away!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why faster on short swim sets? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Swim in bike short/Bike in swim shorts

Started by Porfirio
Views: 986 Posts: 4

2012-04-27 9:21 AM Porfirio

Why do shorter swim sets in the pool? Pages: 1 2

Started by Dave 2.0
Views: 3033 Posts: 28

2012-03-08 7:13 AM TriAya

How fast should I be doing my swim sets

Started by cstoulil
Views: 1129 Posts: 10

2012-02-22 11:41 AM mrct

Why is the IM Swimming leg so short?

Started by Playtowinthegame
Views: 2313 Posts: 22

2010-03-02 1:01 PM dermoski

Why is the swim leg so short? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by SevenZulu
Views: 3374 Posts: 55

2007-07-07 1:25 PM amiine
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2011
author : Total Immersion
comments : 0
Terry Laughlin will cover the elements of the "speed problem" in swimming, why the traditional means of swimming faster seldom work and why an often-ignored approach is virtually foolproof.

date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.
date : July 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I can swim long with ease and have decent endurance, but I have a race coming up and I don't want to be last anymore. Help?

date : December 24, 2008
Discussions on further swim improvements, spicing up endurance swims, kicking for triathlon, pull buoy usage, not moving while kicking and rest intervals for fast/short sets.
date : February 7, 2008
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?

date : July 31, 2005
author : Team BT
Working only on technique will not make a swimmer much faster; some work must be done at speeds and efforts that could cause technique to deteriorate.
date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
comments : 1
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.