General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-11 8:15 AM

User image

Lake havasu city , Arizona
Subject: Swim
After I've been swimming in the pool for awhile,I start getting foot cramps when I push off,really destroys my swim.
I feel like I hydrate properly.is there answers for this?

2016-12-11 9:09 AM
in reply to: #5207252

Subject: RE: Swim
Cramping in the pool is horrible! I found a couple of things on myself that caused cramping.

At one point I was restricting salt intake with food (I would still have the occasional rehydration drink) and noticed my feet would cramp more often. Even leading up to the cramping being higher in the leg. I stopped the increased salt restriction and the cramping occurs much less.

Also if I find I'm not relaxed in the pool I tend to tense the muscles in my hand and feet for form and they can cramp.

If I'm not actively swimming I will push against the wall or floor of the pool and it seems to help relieve the discomfort.
2016-12-11 10:33 AM
in reply to: Jabezgal

User image

Ok thank you..
2016-12-11 5:37 PM
in reply to: Gregspence

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Make sure you are not pointing your toes aggressively when you swim. Not sure what level of swimmer you are, but that is pretty common with beginners and less confident swimmers. On the other hand, if you ARE an experienced swimmer with competitive background, maybe you are powering off the wall too hard? It can be a habit for people who are used to sprinting and coaches wanting fast turns! No need with tri training unless maybe you are doing a time trial or something.

Also, keep on top of your hydration throughout the day, not just when in the pool and during/after workouts. I know I'm a lot more likely to cramp if I've spent a lot of time outside in the heat prior to the swim--guessing that's because I get dehydrated. If you're just hydrating with water, you might want to try a sports drink in addition to that to make sure you're replacing sodium/electrolytes as well as fluids.
2016-12-11 8:39 PM
in reply to: Gregspence

Originally posted by Gregspence

After I've been swimming in the pool for awhile,I start getting foot cramps when I push off,really destroys my swim.

Swim more. Do some kick sets with fins to build some strength in those feet. The cramps will go away. It's most likely a fitness issue, don't go changing your hydration and diet.
2016-12-11 9:40 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Originally posted by ziggie204

Swim more. Do some kick sets with fins to build some strength in those feet. The cramps will go away. It's most likely a fitness issue, don't go changing your hydration and diet.

Sorry, but disagree that it's a fitness issue. As Hot Runner said, pushing off the wall with aggressively pointed toes can cause the cramping as can powering off the wall. I'm pretty sure I don't have fitness issues and I get foot cramps when pushing off the wall too hard in search of a desired time.

If the cramp is in my in need of surgery again foot, it's because of the injury and the muscles around the injury. If it's in the right foot is because I pushed off too hard with super pointed toes. I'm so used to the limb and its shenanigans I can just ignore the cramping in either foot.

2016-12-12 7:08 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by fortissimo

Sorry, but disagree that it's a fitness issue. As Hot Runner said, pushing off the wall with aggressively pointed toes can cause the cramping as can powering off the wall. I'm pretty sure I don't have fitness issues and I get foot cramps when pushing off the wall too hard in search of a desired time.

If the cramp is in my in need of surgery again foot, it's because of the injury and the muscles around the injury. If it's in the right foot is because I pushed off too hard with super pointed toes. I'm so used to the limb and its shenanigans I can just ignore the cramping in either foot.

Fortissimo might be a special case- however hard to follow what you were saying.

What Ziggie is saying can be accurate. I do not get foot cramps very often anymore, because I'm fat, and old, and don't push my swimming; which puts me in the top 5% of triathlete at most events.

When I did swim competitively, I did get foot cramps and it was from over exertion. When you push off a wall is usually when you point your toes the hardest getting into the streamline, this is also when the cramp in the foot tends to start. As you build your fitness the cramps will reduce. When you start cramping, I have found it will most likely continue for your workout. At that point you may want to dial back the effort and work on your mechanics. You could also grab a pull buoy and just work your arms.
2016-12-12 6:48 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Ok thank you
2016-12-14 1:08 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by Gregspence After I've been swimming in the pool for awhile,I start getting foot cramps when I push off,really destroys my swim. I feel like I hydrate properly.is there answers for this?
Sorry, but disagree that it's a fitness issue. As Hot Runner said, pushing off the wall with aggressively pointed toes can cause the cramping as can powering off the wall. I'm pretty sure I don't have fitness issues and I get foot cramps when pushing off the wall too hard in search of a desired time. If the cramp is in my in need of surgery again foot, it's because of the injury and the muscles around the injury. If it's in the right foot is because I pushed off too hard with super pointed toes. I'm so used to the limb and its shenanigans I can just ignore the cramping in either foot.

What you're describing IS a fitness issue.  Most localized exercised induced cramping is the result of exceeding your body's fitness level.  "pushing off the wall with aggressively pointed toes", "powering off the wall", and "pushing off the wall too hard" all describe relatively hard efforts.

The OP only said they've been swimming "for a while", and didn't say how many weeks or months it's been since they started.  The advice given to be a little less aggressive with wall push offs and toe pointing will likely give your body time to adapt, and the cramping should stop.  I wouldn't recommend kick sets as a solution.  That would likely induce worse cramping.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim Swam Swum

Started by Robert Reynolds
Views: 1774 Posts: 12

2006-07-09 3:21 PM Robert Reynolds

Tri Swim Coach Swim Workshop 9/11/04- Denver, CO

Started by Tri Swim Coach
Views: 1035 Posts: 5

2004-08-23 11:49 AM Tri Swim Coach

How to navigate or swim in a straight line when swimming freestyle

Started by steven
Views: 2508 Posts: 7

2004-06-28 6:19 PM getwet

First Swim in a "Public" swim area

Started by slow&steady
Views: 1220 Posts: 9

2004-06-22 1:36 PM mikenhe

Swimming advice or help needed on video clip of myself swimming Pages: 1 2

Started by steven
Views: 3530 Posts: 29

2004-05-11 4:52 AM steven
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2015
author : CoachCK
comments : 1
It's time to improve upon your weakness in the water and start swimming faster. Instead of ignoring your swim skills (or lack thereof), it’s time to face them head-on.

date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters
date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique

date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...