Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Help me kick the drinking habit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-12-12 9:23 AM

User image

DC
Subject: Help me kick the drinking habit
Hey all, I recall a "I should stop drinking" forum... maybe last year? So I know there's tons on knowledge on this here.

Anyway, I should stop, but I don't think AA is necessary. Like quitting smoking years ago, I can buy a pack, chain smoke w/friends in one night, trash the rest, & not have a smoke for the rest of the year. Had previous "controlled success" with prescription meds when I had surgery a few years back. So, in a similar manner, I plan to stop drinking cold turkey and "flushing" my system out.

Would appreciate any "tips" "insights." Of particular interest, is whether my sleep will continue to be disturbed during initial "detox."

FWIW: I'm a two-time IM finisher, a 3:25 marathoner, work out nearly every day, & drink some 2 gallons of water daily... so I think I'm otherwise fairly "healthy."

Thanks in advance for sharing. Sincerely appreciate it.

2016-12-12 9:57 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Help me kick the drinking habit
2016-12-12 10:06 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

DC
2016-12-12 10:08 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Tips or insights? If you don't think AA is necessary, you might still be in denial and not fully committed. Having said that, I did AA for 4-5 months and never went back. I'm approaching 15 years sober. Then there are people that attend AA for the rest of their lives. Go to a few meetings and listen. A lot of AA is repetitive boredom (my opinion) but I rarely left a meeting without taking away some new insight or view I hadn't considered. Step one; stop drinking and go to a meeting. Avoid parties and drinking related events. Yeah, the holiday season is gonna make that tough for you. PM me if you wish, I'd be more than glad to help any way I can.
2016-12-12 10:29 AM

User image

DC
Originally posted by mdg2003

Tips or insights? If you don't think AA is necessary, you might still be in denial and not fully committed. Having said that, I did AA for 4-5 months and never went back. I'm approaching 15 years sober. Then there are people that attend AA for the rest of their lives. Go to a few meetings and listen. A lot of AA is repetitive boredom (my opinion) but I rarely left a meeting without taking away some new insight or view I hadn't considered. Step one; stop drinking and go to a meeting. Avoid parties and drinking related events. Yeah, the holiday season is gonna make that tough for you. PM me if you wish, I'd be more than glad to help any way I can.

Thanks for replying. Currently reading over the other thread... very informative w/a sincere touch.

Reading the other thread makes me wonder if I want to stop drinking entirely. I enjoy alcohol (e.g., dinner or just hanging out w/the wife) but I now acknowledge that I do drink in excess. My sleep, or lack thereof REM, is a clear sign.

Working w/my wife, I'm going to see if, NEXT week, I can enjoy one to two drinks w/her in the evening. If I can't, I'm definitely hitting AA.

Thanks again.
2016-12-12 6:45 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I have little to add, although I do know multiple people I know who have had success with AA. So it can be a successful tool.

Good Luck.

2016-12-13 9:01 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by cdban66

I have little to add, although I do know multiple people I know who have had success with AA. So it can be a successful tool.

Good Luck.

Agreed. I reread my post and see it appears less than supportive AA. Definitely go and experience the program. It's lifesaving program that has helped millions. It definitely helped me stay focused early on and was instrumental in my success to date.
2016-12-13 1:50 PM

User image

DC
Originally posted by mdg2003

Originally posted by cdban66

Good Luck.

Agreed. I reread my post and see it appears less than supportive AA. Definitely go and experience the program. It's lifesaving program that has helped millions. It definitely helped me stay focused early on and was instrumental in my success to date.

Yeah. Thinking more about it, how it can possibly hurt!

Had a glass and a half of wine last night w/my wife.. as opposed to my 6+ drinks. Slept like a king!
2016-12-30 7:52 AM

User image

I am in a similar boat. I do not consider myself an Alcoholic, though I do think I am not far from it if I don't make changes. I recently read a book called " The Power of Habit" which has given me some methods to make some changes in my life. I originally heard about the book on another Tri site in a thread about turning into a morning person, which is something I have been aspiring to become, but due to a few drinks every night, never happens. I didn't race at all this past season, gained about 25 lbs, and started letting unhealthy decisions creep back into my life.

This week, I did not have a single drink, though at times I wanted to. I feel that I had created a routine that once I finish my nightly chores I grab a beer and sit and relax. This week I changed the routine from grabbing a beer, to grabbing a can of flavored sparkling water instead, while still allowing myself to sit and relax. I will probably have some beer this weekend while watching the game and bringing in the new year, and I'm okay with it, But will mix in some other NA drinks to keep things in check.

It is not currently in my plan to abstain from alcohol, but rather change routines that have been leading to excess alcohol consumption.
2016-12-31 8:46 AM
in reply to: aalbury

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by aalbury

I am in a similar boat. I do not consider myself an Alcoholic, though I do think I am not far from it if I don't make changes. I recently read a book called " The Power of Habit" which has given me some methods to make some changes in my life. I originally heard about the book on another Tri site in a thread about turning into a morning person, which is something I have been aspiring to become, but due to a few drinks every night, never happens. I didn't race at all this past season, gained about 25 lbs, and started letting unhealthy decisions creep back into my life.

This week, I did not have a single drink, though at times I wanted to. I feel that I had created a routine that once I finish my nightly chores I grab a beer and sit and relax. This week I changed the routine from grabbing a beer, to grabbing a can of flavored sparkling water instead, while still allowing myself to sit and relax. I will probably have some beer this weekend while watching the game and bringing in the new year, and I'm okay with it, But will mix in some other NA drinks to keep things in check.

It is not currently in my plan to abstain from alcohol, but rather change routines that have been leading to excess alcohol consumption.

You're quite right IMO. Lots of people have gotten themselves into the routine or habit, more so than being actual alcoholics. Getting wrecked during Wednesday night bowling or happy hour with the gang from work. Not to drink until Sunday watching sports on TV. You do it without really thinking about it because ,"hey, it's football season!" The you hate yourself on Monday morning, but you promise yourself you won't drink the rest of the week…except you break down and get drunk at happy hour on Wednesday again. That's habit, pretty much a social drinker; nothing to get twisted up about except for the hangover and hopefully you don't get behind the wheel! It's a problem when everyone else has gone home and you're still drinking, black out and don't have a clue how you made it home, where your car is and your partner has your bag packed for you.
2017-01-21 8:42 AM
in reply to: aalbury

User image

DC
Originally posted by aalbury

Sorry for the SUPER late response... thanks for sharing.

Last night, I went to my first AA meeting. Well, I saw the folks who showed up (people looking like they were there because a judge mandated them) so I ended up not going in. At any rate, just going there gave me perspective.... agree w/everything you're saying.

2017-03-09 4:26 PM

Extreme late response here too. No one will probably even see this.
However, I like to have a beer or 2 after a hard workout. My legs hurt sometimes, and after taking in some food or chocolate milk, I might have one or 2. I imagine I drink total of about 14 beers a week? I try never to have more than 3 in a day. Not sure if this makes me an alcoholic or not. 2 years ago, just decided to stop for 4 months to see if it would affect performance....really did not. My mom was a flaming alcoholic, blackouts, warm vodka in a 12 oz smurf glass....you get the idea. I don't to hurt myself physically by drinking, and one thing I will not do is drink and drive....any opinions on this? Assuming anyone is still looking at this thread?
2017-03-09 5:09 PM
in reply to: Burchib

Champion
I've heard from various sources that the true definition of an alcoholic is not how MUCH a person drinks but how OFTEN. Which person is more of an alcoholic, the one who goes out once every 3 months to a party, has 12 beers, needs to be driven home and spends the next day regretting the circumstance, or the person who "only" has 2 beers per day, but never misses the ritual? I don't have the answer either. I just wonder about the second person and why he/she feels the undeniable need to have those two beers and whether or not he/she can break from that routine without a gut wrenching amount of angst and stress. I suppose the only person who can answer that is the drinker who maybe needs to honestly ask him or herself about the dependency on alcohol.
2017-03-10 10:29 AM
in reply to: max

User image

I have recently listened to a Rich Roll Podcast episode where he is talking with Mishka Shubaly about addictions vs sobriety. It really made me turn the lens on myself when Mishka discussed what he believes the signs of an addiction are, and it describes me perfectly. "Normal" people don't have to try and curtail their drinking. They don't have to make an effort to stop at 1 or 2. While I can stop at 1 or 2, I have to make an effort to do so. I cannot walk away from a half finished drink, and if my wife doesn't finish hers, I typically will "so it doesn't go to waste". This tells me that my relationship to alcohol is unhealthy. I have a few different strategies I am working on to change/reduce, eliminate the Alcohol in my life, and it's a process to do so.

Ironically as I type this one of my clients just dropped off a bottle of wine from his winery.
2017-03-10 6:58 PM

User image

Bronze member

Found this from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism website: 

NIAAA’s Definition of Drinking at Low Risk for Developing Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD):

For women, low-risk drinking is defined as no more than 3 drinks on any single day and no more than 7 drinks per week. For men, it is defined as no more than 4 drinks on any single day and no more than 14 drinks per week. NIAAA research shows that only about 2 in 100 people who drink within these limits have AUD.
2017-03-31 3:17 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Burchib Extreme late response here too. No one will probably even see this. However, I like to have a beer or 2 after a hard workout. My legs hurt sometimes, and after taking in some food or chocolate milk, I might have one or 2. I imagine I drink total of about 14 beers a week? I try never to have more than 3 in a day. Not sure if this makes me an alcoholic or not. 2 years ago, just decided to stop for 4 months to see if it would affect performance....really did not. My mom was a flaming alcoholic, blackouts, warm vodka in a 12 oz smurf glass....you get the idea. I don't to hurt myself physically by drinking, and one thing I will not do is drink and drive....any opinions on this? Assuming anyone is still looking at this thread?

I think the most subtle thing people miss about athletic performance was already mentioned above: quality of sleep.  Even a couple drinks messes with how well you sleep and dream.

2018-03-17 3:31 PM
in reply to: #5207324

User image

It's been awhile since this thread started I'm wondering how Porfirio is doing
2018-03-20 9:29 AM
in reply to: treanormj

User image

Pro
Tejas
I'm still behaving. How are the rest of y'all doing?
2018-03-23 9:53 PM

I've not had this as a personal struggle, but of what I've seen of addictions in general, it's important to know why they start to begin with. What causes you to drink in excess? Are you escaping something? Are you depressed, and alcohol alleviates it? I know people who have one through AA and some swear by it, but it's not the only method out there to beating the addiction. I hope you find something that works well for you.
2018-03-23 9:54 PM

Oops, I just noticed that this is an old thread topic. Well, my advice can still be taken I guess. lol
2018-07-07 8:53 AM
in reply to: #5239984

User image

I am an addict and alcoholic that has been in recovery for 15 years and I work for a rehab that treats compulsive sexual behaviors. I like the definition of an alcoholic as someone who tries to stop or limit their drinking and repeatedly fails in spite of the negative consequences. Many people use AA or some other type of support group because if you could have controlled your drinking on your own, you would have done it already. Think about it- you're a triathlete! We're tenacious to a fault! If you think drinking is a problem, lose the ego and be open to suggestions. Only then will you be able to find what works for you by continuing to talk about it and try new things. Good luck! Email me if you 2ant

2018-07-07 8:53 AM
in reply to: #5245916

User image

Want to talk about it.
[email protected]
2018-07-10 9:09 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by treanormj I am an addict and alcoholic that has been in recovery for 15 years and I work for a rehab that treats compulsive sexual behaviors. I like the definition of an alcoholic as someone who tries to stop or limit their drinking and repeatedly fails in spite of the negative consequences. Many people use AA or some other type of support group because if you could have controlled your drinking on your own, you would have done it already. Think about it- you're a triathlete! We're tenacious to a fault! If you think drinking is a problem, lose the ego and be open to suggestions. Only then will you be able to find what works for you by continuing to talk about it and try new things. Good luck! Email me if you 2ant

addiction is so weird across the spectrum.  I have zero issues with alcohol and barely drink but maybe once ever year or two, sometimes longer and have no desire to ever drink.  Yet, I'm horribly addicted to soda and no matter how bad I want to stop I cannot.  I can make it a week or two, but then I relapse right back into it.  Granted the side effects of soda aren't the same as alcohol, but I absolutely hate that I cannot stop and it effects my health, my sleep, and who knows what else.

2018-07-10 12:02 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by tuwood
Yet, I'm horribly addicted to soda and no matter how bad I want to stop I cannot.  I can make it a week or two, but then I relapse right back into it.  Granted the side effects of soda aren't the same as alcohol, but I absolutely hate that I cannot stop and it effects my health, my sleep, and who knows what else.

I used a 3 step program to get off soda

step 1, move to a clear "caffeine free" soda like Sprite/7UP or the diet equivalent. Is the addiction the caffeine or the fizz. Me it was the fizz.
step 2, move to sodastream
step 3 get on water

If I am away and start taking a few sodas I quickly get back to 3 or 4 a day

2018-07-10 1:16 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by tuwood Yet, I'm horribly addicted to soda and no matter how bad I want to stop I cannot.  I can make it a week or two, but then I relapse right back into it.  Granted the side effects of soda aren't the same as alcohol, but I absolutely hate that I cannot stop and it effects my health, my sleep, and who knows what else.
I used a 3 step program to get off soda step 1, move to a clear "caffeine free" soda like Sprite/7UP or the diet equivalent. Is the addiction the caffeine or the fizz. Me it was the fizz. step 2, move to sodastream step 3 get on water If I am away and start taking a few sodas I quickly get back to 3 or 4 a day

I've discovered that it's a combination of three addictions.  I'm addicted to the sugar, the caffein, and the fizz. (the cold too, but that's an easy one to substitute).

I did switch to all sprite successfully just a few weeks ago and managed to hold up for about 3 weeks, but then the typical addiction cycle kicked in where I had a couple stressful days of work and next thing you know I'm downing mountain dew all day to "medicate".  bleh

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Help me kick the drinking habit Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Kick or not to kick?

Started by kram2692
Views: 2085 Posts: 20

2010-04-01 10:46 AM Sooner Tri Guy

Drunk Driving Videos as Training Aids Help!

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 1641 Posts: 15

2008-11-20 9:20 AM TexasMPGal

Energy Drink to end all energy drinks!

Started by hangloose
Views: 1273 Posts: 9

2006-01-19 9:52 AM hangloose

Quirky Pet Habit

Started by Dr Hammer
Views: 1324 Posts: 21

2005-12-19 9:21 PM foolproof

Strange Habits- what are some of yours? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by runnergirl29
Views: 4368 Posts: 86

2005-12-02 10:20 AM vortmax
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 1, 2016
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
The role of alcohol in your sports diet

date : January 21, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Monty has kicked the habit and has been smoke-free for 5 years. Here's a discussion on how it has changed his life.
date : June 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
Sport drinks replenish what is lost during exercise, such as electrolytes, water, sugar, while energy drinks are designed to provide a boost in energy.

date : May 19, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Alcohol and athletics is a dangerous duo. Serious recreational runners drink more than their sedentary counterparts. This article lists several of the negative consequences of alcohol.
date : July 5, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 1
Without doubt, the single most glaring error I have noticed is the scarce amount of fluids athletes ingest during a race!