General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Time to Retire from Triathlons? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-19 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Time to Retire from Triathlons?
I'll be 59 in May and have been doing tri's since 2007 but I've come to a crossroads. I've had right knee issues since last January and had a cortisone injection last April that got me through the season (two HIM PR's), but things had gradually been getting worse over the next several months. After meeting with an orthopedic surgeon, I finally got an MRI the doctor suggested (that I paid for since insurance said it was not medically necessary) and I was contemplating my first full IM next year. It found a meniscus tear and degradation of the cartilage under the kneecap. I had surgery (that insurance agreed to based on the MRI findings) and I had 30% of the medial meniscus of my right knee removed and chondroplasty of the kneecap. I watched the surgery live and it looked pretty messy in there. I'm about 5 days from surgery and doing pretty well. Decent range of motion (considering the size my knee still is) and I was able to get on the elliptical trainer for a bit today.

The doctor said I could do what I wanted but there were things he would recommend NOT doing (i.e. running). One physical therapist said I would be back for a knee replacement within 2 years (and then said maybe 10 years when I questioned this). Another physical therapist said I could still run. Based on this, I have a wide range of advice.

What I was thinking of doing as a start, was to get through PT, get back to swimming and biking, get my weight down about 15 pounds (currently 187 at 6 foot) and then make the decision. I would like to do a full tri, but it may not be in my best interest in the long run.

2016-12-19 3:27 PM
in reply to: nickster

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Time to Retire from Triathlons?
Sorry to hear about your knee!

I'd definitely start with PT and get really strong - that will help with the support of the structures and take pressure off your knee. Also, make sure you are doing all the hip strengthening stuff - your PT should help you with this. This will ensure that you are using the correct muscles with any of your activity.

So…I met with a friend that just did IMAZ - he's done over 25 IM and 17 of those were AFTER his hip replacement. He swims and bikes like crazy, and ALWAYS walks the marathon…and still finishes around the 15 hour mark. So you don't have to run do do a full, you just have to re-define your goals. That gave me hope as I'm probably in the timeline for a hip replacement one day (major hip issues)…but it doesn't have to stop you., just slow you down a little :-)! Good luck with PT!
2016-12-19 3:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'm 63 and I retired from triathlon this past year.

I had been fighting chronic patella tendinosis in my right knee for years and degenerative Achilles tendinosis in both legs.  I missed a year of training in 2010 with two partial tears of my left Achilles.  That's when my orthopedic surgeon first suggested that I think about giving up running.  He told me that it wasn't a case of if, but when I would rupture either of my Achilles by running.

I continued, running using the Galloway run/walk strategy trying to minimize my leg pain.

The kicker came when I was diagnosed with Dupuytren's Disease in my hands about a year and a half ago which made it painful to grip the handlebars or shift gears on my bike.

I just got tired of hurting all the time and decided to "retire" from triathlon and just become a swimmer, which had been my first love anyway.  The low-impact nature of swimming is accommodating to my ailments.   

I'm active in my local Masters swim team and really enjoy competing in Masters swim meets.

I miss triathlons at times, but sometimes you just have to play the hand you're dealt.

Good luck to you.

Mark

Fort Wayne Snider High School, Class of '71  

Edited by RedCorvette 2016-12-19 3:49 PM
2016-12-19 7:27 PM

User image

Pro

A couple years ago (aged 50) I was so injured I was sure that I would never run again.  rest, cross training, PT, therapies and slowly brought it back.  Since then I've done a few ultra marathons, and ran NYC Marathon last year and Boston this year.  Now-YMMV.  But perhaps taking some time off, continuing to move, and letting your body do what it does best (heal) and you may find yourself in a different position.

or not.  but- you just never know.

it does get harder as you get older.  With PRs at your age- it's just possible you're taking your body further than it can handle.  whatever you decide to do... keep moving.  gather no moss.

and good luck on your journey.

2016-12-20 6:24 AM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Walking the marathon for an IM is not something I had thought about. That is something to think about.
2016-12-20 6:26 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I definitely was pushing the envelope with my training this year. In hind sight, the cortisone injection in April likely just masked things for several months nd may hav.e resulted in more damage being done. PT would have been a better option in April

2016-12-20 6:32 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
If you're forced out of triathlons (but as Morey said, do see if there's no way to help the situation first), there's always aqua bikes which lets you still have the lifestyle, but without the running.
2016-12-20 8:16 AM

Veteran
Indiana
Agree generally with the advice of doing your PT religiously and see how things go.

Couple of other ideas:

Look very closely at your technicals of running. Get a functional movement analysis. Check out this book https://www.amazon.com/dp/1620871599/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=2866380... to see if you have areas of weakness or inflexibility that could be making you more injury prone.

Get a really good running coach to work with you on your technique and a knee-friendly training regimen. Throw in some elliptical. Do some aqua running. Throw out any kind of speed work, intervals, anything else that has an unfavorable ratio of training benefit vs. wear and tear.

Train your bike/swim up to compensate for what will likely be lower running performance.

Drop PRs as a criterion of your performance/enjoyment/fitness.

Think about HIM instead of IM.

Personally I would not jump straight into retiring from triathlon.
Maybe continuing Tris does mean you will wind up with a knee replacement in 10 years.
If Triathlon is a big driver in your life and a passionate love, a knee replacement might be a reasonable price to pay for that benefit.

Edited by alath 2016-12-20 8:20 AM
2016-12-20 8:48 AM

Originally posted by nickster

Walking the marathon for an IM is not something I had thought about. That is something to think about.
For a lot of years at the Ironman Coeur d'Alene, one of the athletes (a fireman) walked the entire run portion in full turnout gear including oxygen tank, helmet, boots. Always finished. He's not the only one...I did an image search for "Ironman in Fire Gear" and there are a few finishers out there.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2016-12-20 8:53 AM

(fireman rob sc.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
fireman rob sc.jpg (223KB - 12 downloads)
2016-12-20 9:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
I had surgery on my knee for meniscus tear as well about ten years ago. My doctor said I should avoid running as well. I started running seven years ago to keep weight off that I lost. Been running ever since with no knee issues. My meniscus was pretty messy as well but nice and smooth after the surgery.

I compete in several races a year and completed every level of race including IM.

Nobody knows your body as well as you do. I would recommend taking time to let the knee heal. You may be healed on the outside but it will take a few weeks for your knee to heal on the inside.

I'm 53 years old and considering retirement from Triathlons for other injuries unrelated to my knees.

Good luck
2016-12-20 9:55 AM

User image

I think you're on the right track. Take a season off Tri and running. Do bike racing, Masters Swimming (pool and/or open water), Aquabike, or swim or bike leg of a triathlon relay to keep in shape and feed your competitive appetite. Work with you PT to rebuild the strength around your knee. See what your orthopedist says about getting back into running next year. There's a range of possibilities, from retiring from triathlon outright to resuming training as before in hopes of completing a full distance event.

There is a middle ground. Triathlon is more than Ironman. Maybe you re-focus on short-course events. Take steps to minimize the wear and tear on knee and other joints when you do run. I do most of my run training on the rubberized track of the local high school.

Edited by gary p 2016-12-20 10:01 AM

2016-12-20 11:11 AM

I've had a similar experience and probably won't be competing much in the future. My right knee had the arthroscopic partial meniscectomy in 2002 and the left knee in 2006. I've been training exclusively on the treadmill since 2002, 14 years! During those years I achieved 3 USAT Honorable and 2 All-America's doing only sprint distances. Running 6.2 miles on pavement would have been too much. The 5k's were OK... until now.
At this point in my life, age 66, I think it's time to give my knees a 'retirement plan'. I started competing at age 14 ( running,1964). I did road races off and on through the years and my bio-mechanical engineering allowed me to compete much longer than most. Now, my stride is short and slow. I never expected to last 16 years in this sport but since I continued to either place or win in my AG, I kept going. My younger brother ( by 2 years) was actually faster and we enjoyed training and competing together... he left the sport 6 years ago having meniscus tears in both knees also. The last one took him out.
Yes, I could probably still manage to compete. The treadmill is a wonderful machine because the surface is moving toward you... so much different than striking the stationary pavement. I could continue to train and race as I've done. But is it worth it and what will be the end result? For me, there is pain just walking down hill in both knees now. I've had Euflexxa injections which did nothing. I guess I could walk or shuffle the 5k, 10K or whatever but what is the point? I certainly had more than my share of glory days and I'll always still feel like I'm a triathlete because I'll run (treadmill) swim and ride. I've taken to the MTB for a new challenge. Everyone's situation is a unique combination of mental and physical issues so I would never tell someone how to play the circumstance they've been handed. I may still do one or two sprints a year but I'll be among those at the back of the pack, for sure! Good luck.

Edited by RobDowney 2016-12-20 11:13 AM
2016-12-20 2:04 PM

I think you will def have to cut back on running to near-maintenance levels, but I think you'll be surprised with how functional you can be in sprints/olys with <15 mpw of running. Go hard on the bike, take the x-over benefits to running, and save the leg hammering for race day. 

Remember that you also have the capacity to pool run to supplement your 'minimal' on-road running. If you were dedicated, I suspect you'd surprise yourself with how strong a sprint/oly runner you'd be on minimal on-road run mileage per week, and just training hard on the bike and doing any extra needed miles with pool running. 

2016-12-20 2:48 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Pro

I've retired a half dozen or so times since the mid 80's....the latest after the 3rd knee surgery.  Hunting and fishing are always good to me so I don't sweat it.  I suppose I'll come out of retirement again when I'm 60 in a couple years, just to say I could.....then I'll retire again.  There's quite a bit of life outside of triathlon...most of it's a lot more enjoyable, even if it's not more fun.

2016-12-20 3:10 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

In looking back at your original post, and several responses, I wonder if some of this is around defining what it means for you to be "in" the sport and managing expectations.  Would you still be having fun if you're not setting PRs?  Or if your AG placements slip from where they used to be?

iow, how much is your enjoyment predicated on being in the community vs. expectation of a certain performance level.

That said, I'll definitely recommend getting healthy before ramping up the training/competing.  Not that I'm speaking from personal experience there or anything. 

GL and I hope you find the combo over time that maximizes your endorphin levels!

Matt

2016-12-20 8:03 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

In looking back at your original post, and several responses, I wonder if some of this is around defining what it means for you to be "in" the sport and managing expectations.  Would you still be having fun if you're not setting PRs?  Or if your AG placements slip from where they used to be?

iow, how much is your enjoyment predicated on being in the community vs. expectation of a certain performance level.

That said, I'll definitely recommend getting healthy before ramping up the training/competing.  Not that I'm speaking from personal experience there or anything. 

GL and I hope you find the combo over time that maximizes your endorphin levels!

Matt

This is my worry. I need the fear/anticipation/goal/motivation of a race to get me out and train. I know that my retirement will be sitting on the couch eating potato chips getting fat (which is why I started in this sport in the first place-to get healthy/lose weight).

2016-12-20 9:58 PM
in reply to: #5207748

User image

Veteran
The Nation's Frosty Capital
I've torn both meniscus and have still competed at ironman but I am really slow at the run. Following the two surgeries I've done 3 ironman races. I need to so I continue. I can't give you a medical opinion as my doctor doesn't want to talk to me. But I think he believes retirement is what I should do. That being said I'm 51. Slightly different cards were playing. Not much. But worth considering.
2016-12-20 10:00 PM
in reply to: #5207875

User image

Veteran
The Nation's Frosty Capital
I do a lot of aqua bike events.

These are great and getting more competitive.
2016-12-21 11:44 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ

This isn't meant to be condescending in anyway, but the reality is that the overwhelming majority of people are walking Ironmans anyway. Even really fit individuals are said to do the "Ironman Shuffle", which is really just a modified form of running where you kind of shuffle the feet around. The way I look at it, doing an Ironman is a tremendous achievement and life changing to some degree. In your case, setting of goal of walking could have positive upside in that you have set realistic expectations on yourself that you have great chance of actually meeting or exceeding, versus the disappointment that comes the other way around.

Regardless. Give it time. Don't force it. Let the body rest and recovery.
2016-12-22 5:52 AM
in reply to: MUSKOKAFIVEOH

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I appreciate all the feedback and good advice here. I think from an overall perspective, this makes sense for me.
1. Be diligent with physical therapy ad work hard to get my hips strengthened and get my range of motion back.
2. Have a list of questions for the doctor at my follow up appointment on the 27th. The doctor spoke to my wife after the surgery but not with me. My wife did say that his biggest concern was the kneecap cartilage and that this could be the most significant long term problem. If the meniscus was the only issue, I would likely get back to running.
3. If running is out of the picture due to long term wear issues, I'm seriously considering doing IM Florida next November and walk or walk/shuffle the run, just to have at least one IM in my career.
4. I don't think I really care about doing Sprints and Olys with walking just to do triathlons. I would rather save my money and focus on keeping in shape by swimming and biking so I can continue to eat mass quantities without gaining weight. I plan to do some volunteering at races.
5. I friend that I ride with is one of the best Masters kayak racers in Indiana and I thought I might give that a try as well.
6. I have an elliptical trainer that I bought after my last knee surgery about 15 years ago (other knee, 2nd surgery due to injury when I was 27) that I bought since I thought my running days were over. It turns out that was a great exercise and I was able to start running again. Who knows? Maybe that will happen again.
7. For some history, I started running back in 1973. In the late 60's, Arthur Lydiard, who trainer Olympic Gold Medalist Peter Snell, visited my High School and got the cross-country coach (Don Lukens, Loy Norrix High School, Kalamazoo, Michigan) got hooked on marathon training for middle distances. With the crappy shoes back in those days, and the 60-80 mile run weeks that we used to do, the seeds of future knee issues probably started. That being said, I don't regret any of it.
8. It's been a week since surgery. The swelling in the knee is almost gone, I'm already back in the pool, and I was able to get back on the bike yesterday for the first time, albeit quite slowly.
2016-12-22 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Good luck with your recovery! 

2016-12-22 1:19 PM

User image

4. I don't think I really care about doing Sprints and Olys with walking just to do triathlons.

But maybe you can still "race" (i.e. run) a Sprint or Oly. If you have good general fitness from a strong swimming and biking program, it doesn't take a lot of run conditioning to be more than competent for a Sprint. 6-10 miles a week? That's a lot less wear and tear on your knees that trying to do the mileage it takes to prep for an Ironman, even if you plan to just shuffle it. .
2016-12-24 1:31 PM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
So I'm continuing with PT and now the therapist who originally told me I would likely need a knee replacement said I should be able to continue running and an IM next November should be doable. I'm still not making any commitments for anything at this point. Total knee in two years vs. being able to run a marathon net fall. Maybe the second contributes to the first.

I had my first full 60 minute trainer ride (very easy) this morning without having pain. Just in time to eat too much for the holiday week!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Time to Retire from Triathlons? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Just when I was about to retire from Triathlon

Started by Modie
Views: 967 Posts: 3

2011-12-09 5:55 AM FELTGood

Peter Reid Retires

Started by PGoldberger
Views: 710 Posts: 3

2006-06-20 9:03 AM MForger18

Pool Time vs Open Water Time- Your time comparisons

Started by jerry
Views: 1256 Posts: 5

2005-04-01 4:22 PM CLLinIA

Should I retire my helmet?

Started by tplauche
Views: 1297 Posts: 12

2004-08-16 7:27 PM CindyK

Not "retiring"

Started by heatheryan
Views: 861 Posts: 14

2004-07-27 9:24 AM rookie44
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 30, 2016
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
When you can't train the way you want, train the way you can

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : April 9, 2010
author : Zen Master
comments : 24
All I can think about is, "How can I swim in this?" I can't sleep. I think I made a big mistake. I'm filling my head with fear and doubt. What made me think I could run a triathlon?

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 7, 2008
author : javierg
comments : 3
New to triathlons? Don't know what equipment is really necessary? This article describes the basic swim, bike and run equipment needs for first time triathletes.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Snoball
California 1/2 Ironman: The run was my biggest fear. Prior to training, I had never run more than two miles at any given time.
date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.

date : October 10, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...