BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2017-02-19 2:43 PM
in reply to: adbru

User image

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
Hi Adbru!
Thanks for answering my question :-) I am doing the My first Tri so the distances are short but I am from a running and cycling background so not even thinking of that, just worried that I have not been able to get a proper open water swim. The Loch Ness Etape is awesome you will love it, Great to hear of your Wildman experience although not to much what you wanted. Is the water calm and how does the distances work out are they true distances? I am hoping its short lol although its only 400m I am still bricking it. They say the water is murky and dark as well.

2017-02-19 2:48 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Hi Dorm,
Thank you so much for that its good to know. I just envisage myself last!!!.......by far out of the water which I may be at 2.59 per 100m :-( I am practising front crawl now and have just joined a local tri club but all a little too late for this tri in Orlando with 2 weeks to go! I have been swimming in the pool since early Nov 2 times per week to try and get as strong as I can in breast stroke.
2017-02-19 6:09 PM
in reply to: Juliecl

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Juliecl Hi Folks, I would like to join the group please ?? My name is Julie and I live in the Scottish Highlands. My back ground is running, anything from 5k to Marathon distance also competed in numerous comps. My cycling has developed as well, having taken part in a few sportives(First ever Loch Ness Etape) also signed up for this year ?? My issue is the swimming! I have signed up to the Wildman My First Tri in Orlando in 3 weeks eeeeekkk! Have only experienced open water swimming twice as it's too cold up here, second being Loch Ness yesterday lol. Much to wavy could only swim 50 yards! Been swimming in the pool double the distance of my tri but can only do breast stroke as of now ?? I am learning crawl but can only do half a length?? Am I mad signing up for this or will I be ok swimming breast stroke? I realise this is hard to answer suppose I'm just looking for reassurance more than anything else ?? Thanks for listening folks.

Hi Julie,

Welcome to the group!

The bad news - sadly you probably aren't going to become a great swimmer in three weeks.

The good news - there is nothing in any triathlon rules that I am aware of that says you can't swim breaststroke.  You may not make many friends amongst your fellow competitors swimming breaststroke, but they will get over it.  If you are going to swim breaststroke, simply line up to the side and rear of the pack if its a group start and move to the side if its a time trial start.  People will appreciate you attempting to "stay out of the way."

When you get a chance, please post a brief bio so we can get to know you a little bit, you can follow the general form found in the bios on the first couple of pages of this forum thread.

Again welcome, look forward to getting to know you.  There's a great bunch of people here that are more than happy to try and answer any questions you may have.

2017-02-19 6:38 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Triathlon Swim Training – Part 1 – Swim Threshold Pace
It's probably my math Scott...my 400 was 7:30, my 200 was 3:16.
2017-02-19 7:45 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Triathlon Swim Training – Part 3 – Types of Swim Training

In the earlier parts of this series we looked at Swim Threshold Pace and how to determine STP.  In this section we will look at the various types of swim training and how to use your STP to calculate pace, intervals and send-off times.

Now that we have our STP number, let’s take a moment and look at the various types of swim endurance training and use the STP numbers that we determined earlier for Rick and Suzie to see how it all goes together.

There are different types of swimming endurance training –

Extensive Endurance – Long repetitions at a steady, comfortable pace.

Intermediate Endurance – Shorter repetitions that are closer to your race pace.

Intensive Endurance – Very hard efforts.  For stronger swimmers this will be below your race pace.

EXTENSIVE ENDURANCE TRAINING

You would exclusively do this type of training at the beginning of the season during your base build and then maybe once a week during the season.  This type of training uses long repetitions.  However, long does not mean race distance.  Repetitions of 200 are typical with perhaps an occasional set of 400 repetitions (no more than once every couple of weeks).  At the beginning of base training or if you are a newer swimmer, repetitions of 100 or even 50’s work well to begin to build swim fitness.  Extensive endurance intervals are done at STP + (5-10 seconds)/100.

The idea is to use repetitions of a distance that you find challenging but not maximal, with sufficient rest that you can repeat the effort.  You should be able to keep your breathing under control.  If a swimmer tries to swim too far or too fast in a single repetition, they would likely fade badly and their stroke technique would rapidly deteriorate.  You DO NOT want to train with poor technique!

An endurance training session for Rick, our newer swimmer might look something like this –

5 x 200 at a comfortable aerobic pace.  This should be 10-15 seconds per 100 yards slower than your STP with approximately 20-30 seconds rest/recovery between repetitions.  To determine the base pace take the target distance and divide by your STP.

Target Pace = (200 / 0.73) + 20 (add 10 seconds/100 for extensive endurance pace) = 294 seconds = 4:54/200.  From that, add your rest period, to arrive at an interval time.  4:54 + 30 seconds rest = 5:24 interval time.  Round that interval time to the nearest 0:05 to determine your send-off time = 5:25.  As your endurance increases, you begin to add repetitions.  The goal is to build to a total distance of 1.5 – 2.0 times your longest race distance in the upcoming season.

The key to extensive endurance training is hitting your target pace – that’s what that big clock at the end of the pool is for!  By the way, this will begin to teach you pacing which will benefit you on race day!

Now, let’s look at the same extensive endurance training session for Suzie –

Suzie is more experience so she will be swimming a longer workout – 10 x 200 at a comfortable aerobic pace with 20-30 seconds rest/recovery between repetitions.

Target Pace = (200/1.00) + 20 (add 10 seconds/100 for extensive endurance pace) = 220 seconds = 3:40/200.  Add rest period for interval time – 3:29 + 20 seconds rest (lower rest for more experienced) = 3:49, round to nearest 0:05 = 3:50 send-off time.

When you are able to maintain good technique and steady controlled breathing for 1.5 – 2.0 times the longest race distance in the upcoming season on a regular basis, you have begun to develop a good endurance capacity for your speed . . . now it’s time to work on going faster.

INTERMEDIATE ENDURANCE TRAINING

This type of endurance training is used after you have achieved a basic level of swim fitness.  The intensity you want for these training sessions is quite hard, although not an all-out maximal effort.  The pace should be “uncomfortably comfortable.”  Breathing should still be under control but in these sessions it is more difficult to maintain that control.  Developing endurance at this pace and intensity helps with the latter stages of your race swim and begins to develop speed.

Shorter repetitions are used for Intermediate Endurance Training with reduced rest periods.

An example of an Intermediate Endurance session using Rick’s STP –

20 x 100 at STP with 10-15 seconds rest.  As you become more proficient, add more repetitions and lower rest interval.

Target pace = 100/.73 = 137 seconds = 1:57.  Add 15 seconds rest for interval time = 2:13 interval, round to nearest 0:05 = 2:15 send-off.

As you progress through this set it will become increasingly difficult to maintain stroke technique and control your breathing.  Newer swimmers should attempt less repetitions to avoid stroke technique deterioration.

INTENSIVE ENDURANCE TRAINING

This type of training is developing speed and more importantly it is training your body to clear lactic acid from your bloodstream.  This is a VERY HARD session and you need to be technically very competent to gain the most benefit.  Otherwise you will find that your stroke technique will deteriorate as you fatigue and you will be missing interval times by increasingly wide margins.

The session might look something like this –

10 x 100 at 3-5 seconds below STP with 20 seconds rest.

This could develop into multiple sets in the same session.

2 x [10 x 100 at 3-5 seconds below STP with 20 seconds rest] and 2 minutes between sets.

Make no mistake, this is a MAXIMAL EFFORT!

The early part of this type of session you will feel pretty good because you are swimming a relatively short distance and have a sufficient rest period. However, by the time you get halfway through the set you will find that 20 seconds rest is just enough to get your breathing back under control. By the last couple of repetitions you will be gasping for breath as you start the next rep!

For Suzie, our stronger swimmer, the set pace and intervals would look something like this –

Target pace = 100/1.00 = 1:40 – 0:05 = 1:35/100.  Add 20 seconds rest = 1:55 interval.

PUTTING IT TOGETHER TO PLAN WORKOUTS

Your swim training sessions should include:

1. A warm-up (In addition to warming up paying particular attention to stroke technique is beneficial)
  2. Drill – if and ONLY if they have been prescribed by a qualified coach/instructor
  3. Optional kicking set
  4. A main set (Target is 1.5-2.0 race distance)
  5. Cool down

Prior to the beginning of the season the focus should be on building endurance so workouts should exclusively include Extensive Endurance Training.

Once endurance has improved to where the swimmer can comfortably swim at least 1.5 – 2.0 times the longest race distance of the upcoming race season while maintaining stroke technique and keeping breathing under control Intermediate Endurance sessions should be added each week.

Intensive Endurance sessions should be utilized once every other week and added once a week approximately 4-6 weeks before your ‘A’ race to develop speed.  This type of session should be removed from your workouts 2 weeks before your ‘A’ race.  This type of session is for stronger swimmers and will compare to a long time trial.  It is not a session you will want to do or should do often.

A typical mid-season training week for a moderate ability swimmer might include one Extensive Endurance session, one mixed Intermediate Endurance and Extensive Endurance session, and one Intermediate Endurance session.

As the swimmer progresses, he/she may add Intensive Endurance sessions as I described earlier.

2017-02-19 11:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi Julie, Glad you found your way here.  Don't think twice about finishing last.  This is your first tri and it is a learning experience just have fun.  You'll easily breaststroke the swim (and really savour the moment when you come out of the water) then you know you are going to bike and run well and then you can celebrate.  It will be a great learning experience.

2017-02-20 4:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Bio: My name is Julie Cleghorn and I live in the North of Scotland. I am married with one grown up daughter and I am 51 this year! My background is in running and cycling which I have done since a very young age.

I have competed in a number of sportives and running distances from 5km to Marathon. I am employed as an active schols co-ordinator and cover 8 primary schools and one secondary. My job is to get the kids active!

I am really keen to get into triathlons and I have no problem with the cycling and running part, just the swimming. I dont mind saying my swimming is not great. I only have the one stroke, breaststroke! I am joining the local tri club but with only 3 weeks to go to my first novice tri in Orlando thats not going to help me hugely lol.

However I am just going to enjoy my fist one and when i get home I will really get sorted with the swimming.

Anyhoo really looking forward to being part of the group where I know I will develop loads of knowledge from you guys

Edited by Juliecl 2017-02-20 6:09 AM
2017-02-20 6:29 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Let's Get this Party Started - pt II
Hi Scott,
I would like to open my training log. How do I do this? :-)
2017-02-20 6:33 AM

User image

Sorry Scott, I didnt officially ask if I could join your group?
2017-02-20 11:20 AM

User image

Regular
Hi julie,

I didn't do the Wildman, it was the 'Warrior' tri which was held in fort william.
It was ran by NoFuss Events but has now been replaced by the 'Braveheart' tri.

To open your training log you should just need to click on the button at the top of the page? Then 'add a workout' -

give that a tri

Adbru
2017-02-20 1:01 PM
in reply to: adbru

User image

Thanks Adrian
Its on the bottom of my profile now all sorted thanks!

2017-02-20 2:21 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Janet what other trail races do you have coming up. I have Psycho Wyco this weekend. Hope the weather stays nice, 40 - 50 would be great for trail running. First race of this year
2017-02-20 4:31 PM
in reply to: noldowney

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by noldowney Janet what other trail races do you have coming up. I have Psycho Wyco this weekend. Hope the weather stays nice, 40 - 50 would be great for trail running. First race of this year

I have the Castlewood Cup 15k this weekend, Shaw Bloom 20k on 3/25, and then the Ozark Foothills 25k on 4/8.  I'm hoping to eventually work my way up to a 50k race, but we'll have to see how that goes.  

I would love to do one of the Psycho Wyco races and now that Nick (our son) lives in the KC area, I may add that one to my calendar for next year.  Which distance are you doing?

2017-02-20 9:23 PM
in reply to: CL001

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by CL001 It's probably my math Scott...my 400 was 7:30, my 200 was 3:16.

Hey Chris,

I think I see the error.  Let's go through the math together -

400 @ 7:30 = 450 seconds

200 @ 3:15 = 196 seconds

(400-200)/(450-196) = 200/254 = 0.787

100/0.787 = 127.06 seconds = 2:07/100 (I think the mistake was you interpreted 127  as 1:27 - trust me, I did that more times than I care to recall)

I suspect 2:07 is actually slower than your true STP.  Another shortcoming of this test occurs when there is a large falloff in pace between the 400 and the 200.  Let me explain - if we look at your average pace for each of the time trials it is somewhat instructive.  For the 400 you averaged ~1:52/100.  For the 200 you averaged ~ 1:38/100.  That's a difference of 14-seconds per 100 between the 400 and the 200 which is a lot.   I don't know what kind of watch you used to record these times, but if you have a Garmin, you'll have 100 splits for both TT's.  I suspect for the 400 you started out closer to 1:35/100 and faded to ~2:00/100, for the 200, started at ~1:33-35 and faded to 1:40+ ish.  What all that mumbo-jumbo means is that you were likely anaerobic for both tests and deeply anaerobic during the 400.  The reason there is a 200 and a 400 TT is to account for the anaerobic component.  However, there's no delicate way to say this, for slower swimmers that don't have a well developed sense of pace, the test is skewed to the low side.

To compensate for that I "split the difference" between the 400 and 200 TT's.  1:52-1:38 = 0:14 seconds.  Half of that is 0:07 seconds.  1:38 + 0:07 = 1:45/100.  Then I take 20 seconds off of your calculated STP - 127 seconds - 20 = 107 seconds = 1:47.  I then average those two numbers and get 1:46/100.  When you look at that in light of your TT's it seems reasonable.  I would use 1:46/100 as your STP and retest in 6-weeks.  (Taking 20 seconds off of the calculated STP is based on over four decades of experience).

2017-02-20 9:32 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Juliecl Sorry Scott, I didnt officially ask if I could join your group?

You're good!  No worries!

On the subject of your swimming, if you go to this link - http://triathlonswimcoach.com/index.php/en/resources/stroke-technique/31-novice/77-freestyle-from-the-beginning - I talk about freestyle from the very beginning.  I cover the fundamentals that most "adult onset" swimmers over-look or simply ignore.  Once you have those down, go to the top of the page and place your cursor over the "Resources" tab, then click on "Stroke Technique."  At the bottom of the page that opens you will see 'Sub Categories.'  Start with the 'beginner' articles, then move to the 'intermediate' articles, and finally the 'advanced' articles.

All of that reading will give you the "book knowledge" of what freestyle should look like.  Actually putting it into practice is a little more difficult.  There is absolutely no replacement for "eyes on deck" meaning a qualified coach or instructor.  

I am happy to answer any questions I can.

2017-02-21 8:00 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

I am only doing the 10 mile ( one loop). I just do it for fun and try to see if I can complete the race without falling. (Have not been successful at that part yet). Perhaps this will be the year

2017-02-22 1:31 PM
in reply to: noldowney

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Swimming and head position

Today is a recovery day for me.  I cycled on Mon; swam and ran yesterday. 

During my swim yesterday I noticed at times I seemed to be going really, really slow and at other times my pace was definitely faster.  Somewhere in this it occurred to me with the faster pace, that my head was a bit 'lower' in the water than my norm.  Instead of looking 4'-6' ahead at the bottom, I was looking straight down.  In looking ahead, my head was not out of the water, just possibly tilted a bit.  I didn't have my swim watch so I couldn't time it to see the difference, but the tiles were definitely going by faster with the "head down" technique.

I realize that there are a thousand factors as to swim technique and speed ... how "lo" one swims in the water; are their shoulders flat, legs splayed, et al.  But this one little thing seems to have made a difference. 

Anyone care to offer an opinion on this?

Ciao ... Dorm

2017-02-22 7:11 PM

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
Thanks Scott. 1:46 is much better, maybe on the slow side.
2017-02-22 11:57 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Swimming and head position

Hi Dorm, I'd want to hear what Scott has to say about your head down position making a difference in speed but I would think head down would speed you up at least a bit.  More likely though I would expect your head down position would raise your feet and therefore decrease the drag you get from having your feet lower in the water.  That would definitely make you faster.

Now I have to practice that in my next swim too.  Head and chest down, feet up.

2017-02-23 5:04 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

George ... thanks for your comments and my thoughts were similar to yours as well.  With me looking forward slightly, it seemed to me that the tilted head might act like a rudder to raise my shoulders and chest slightly and at the same time lower my feet.  With me looking straight down, I could easily see the tiles moving by faster.  I'd like to see what Scott has to say on this too. 

I rode with my SIL up in Virginia today and dang ... I am sooo out of shape.  This was my first road ride for the year and a lot of the secondary roads in the Roanoke, Va. area have the "heavy" road surface.  Still, it was slow ... glad it's early in the season.

Dorm

2017-02-23 8:38 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Dorm57

Today is a recovery day for me.  I cycled on Mon; swam and ran yesterday. 

During my swim yesterday I noticed at times I seemed to be going really, really slow and at other times my pace was definitely faster.  Somewhere in this it occurred to me with the faster pace, that my head was a bit 'lower' in the water than my norm.  Instead of looking 4'-6' ahead at the bottom, I was looking straight down.  In looking ahead, my head was not out of the water, just possibly tilted a bit.  I didn't have my swim watch so I couldn't time it to see the difference, but the tiles were definitely going by faster with the "head down" technique.

I realize that there are a thousand factors as to swim technique and speed ... how "lo" one swims in the water; are their shoulders flat, legs splayed, et al.  But this one little thing seems to have made a difference. 

Anyone care to offer an opinion on this?

Ciao ... Dorm

Hey Dorm,

Generally your head should be looking more down towards the bottom than forward.  Here's a picture so you can see proper head position.  Be aware, you can have your head too low.

The picture accurately represents what happens when your head is too high - your hips and legs drop which increases drag and slows you down.

Edited by k9car363 2017-02-23 8:40 PM

(correct_incorrect.png)

Attachments
----------------
correct_incorrect.png (10KB - 5 downloads)

2017-02-23 8:56 PM
in reply to: CL001

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by CL001 Thanks Scott. 1:46 is much better, maybe on the slow side.

Chris, you made the comment earlier, "I cant do below 1.40 very many times."

That tells me your threshold is higher than 1:40.  Remember that swim training with STP isn't about speed, at least not at first.  Swimming at or slightly above your threshold will increase your threshold - meaning you can swim faster while staying aerobic.  Once you have a solid aerobic base built, then you transition over to intermediate endurance sets to begin building speed.  About 6-weeks out from your race(s) you add an intensive endurance set or two each week to really focus on speed.  A little know fact is that once you have a solid base, building speed to your then current max capacity only takes 5-6 weeks.

2017-02-24 5:59 PM

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
Right, I should have clarified - 1:46 is good, when I add the +5 or +8 it seems slow. But I was thinking just what you said this training is about aerobic swimming. My real problem isn't the speed of each set it's doing the set at the pace I'm supposed to as I have no feeling for pace!
2017-02-24 8:20 PM

User image

Subject: Swim cramps
I have been swimming approx 3 times a week for approx 45 - 60 minutes. Doing a number of drills and then set shorter sets. A couple of the days I was to finish up with some kicking with fins. However, as soon as I start I begin to cramp in my arches and calves. Not necessarily one leg or the other but one of them will start to cramp. I have been drinking some infinit during my workout and generally hyrdrate fairly well during the day. All of my swimming has been at lunch time. Today I was doing a 1000 and got a twinge of a calf cramp around 850. I eased up the kick for 50 yards and then was able to get back to kicking for the last 100 (finished just under 17:00). It is getting to be a little annoying to cramp during most of my workouts. Is there something in my form that would contribute to this? Or is there something else to look at from a nutrition standpoint? Thoughts?
David

Edited by noldowney 2017-02-24 8:26 PM
2017-02-24 8:33 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by CL001 Right, I should have clarified - 1:46 is good, when I add the +5 or +8 it seems slow. But I was thinking just what you said this training is about aerobic swimming. My real problem isn't the speed of each set it's doing the set at the pace I'm supposed to as I have no feeling for pace!

Chris,

The problem for most people is when you swim slower, your hips and legs tend to drop; because of that, swimming at the slower pace is wonderful to help you improve your balance in the water.  A little tip, arching your back will help keep your legs from dropping.

As to the pace.  That's part of what STP training is doing.  It's teaching you a sense of pace.  You should be either using the pace clock (if there's one on deck) or checking with your watch.  If you went to fast, slow down on the next one.  If you went to slow, speed up on the next one.  By diligently checking pace and making adjustments, you will develop a very accurate sense of pace which will help on race day.

Edited by k9car363 2017-02-24 8:58 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 31

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.