BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2017-03-19 7:29 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: How to plan for an "A" race with a "B" race in the mix

Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

. . . On the 6 man teams each legs averages about 20k and for the 12 man teams each leg averages about 10k.

My siblings invited me to do the Ragnar with them in December.  They are coming from three different time zones to do the event.  It will be my one big family get together for the year so it was a no brainier that I was going do the race even though it is 2 weeks before the Triathlon I am training for.  I was planning to just train through the Ragnar but now that it is getting close and I have to actually plan my next 12 weeks up to the Triathlon (well 11 now) and my next 9 weeks to my Ragnar race I am wondering what the best way to do things is.

I think I have a suitable plan doing my last long bike ride the Saturday before Ragnar.  While on Vacation for a week I won't worry too much about training and just enjoy the extra rest as part of my taper.  Then at Ragnar I plan to keep everything under my threshold pace to that I don't trash my legs two weeks before my "A" race.  Then I plan to flow my standard taper for the following two weeks up to race. whihc doen't have any long work outs or super threshold works out for the taper period.  

Any flaws in this plan? Should I adjust anything in the next 2 months to be ready for an "A" race" Triathlon two weeks after a 30K running event?  

Hey Curtis,

You didn't say what distance you are actually doing for the relay - or at least I didn't see it.  Either way, you have been doing sufficient mileage that I wouldn't give a second thought to the relay two-weeks before your race.  Even if you go out and deliver a maximal effort, two weeks is plenty of time to recover from both a 10k and 20k - especially when you consider that maximal effort is going to be high Z2 low Z3 on either of those races (maybe building to Z5 at the end).

If it were me, I would not attempt to taper for the relay.  Two weeks between the races is too long to "hold a peak" and it isn't enough time to taper, train, and re-taper.  Maybe take a light day or two before the relay just to shed a bit of fatigue.

Sounds like fun!  It's always nice to do things with the family.  

My exact milage is the following:

Leg #1:  8.25 miles

Leg #2: 5.43 miles

Leg#3: 6.20 miles

It will be difficult to do much of any training the week before the Ragnar race because I will be traveling 2000 miles to get to the race with my family.  When I started Triathlon I had three rules.  One of them was not to drive my family crazy so that means not creating a crazy training schedule when I am on vacation with the family.  I will try to get short sessions in while others are sleeping in though.  :-)

2017-03-20 1:14 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Weekend Wrap!!!

Originally posted by triosaurus Janet Is the registration for the 70.3 transferrable? I was thinking that if it is, then perhaps registering with the intent of doing it but having the option to sell it to someone (at a discount no less) if you decide not enter the 70.3 and just focus on the HM ...

Kelly - Sorry for the late reply - this last week just got away from me!  I ended up registering for the 70.3 but bought the reg insurance (it was only $12) in case of injury/illness/etc.  Also, I know the RD so pretty sure he'd let me drop down to the Olympic distance if I needed to, although the plan is to not need to do that.  I think I can do both as long as I'm sensible about the training. 

Janet

2017-03-20 10:34 PM
in reply to: kszelei

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Race timing / vacation

Kathy - Congrats on stepping out of your comfort zone and signing up for your HM.  Be consistent with your training and you'll have no trouble finishing.

I do understand how you feel about being slow.  I too would love to be faster but a 12 minute mile is a decent pace and if you're faster than that fantastic!!

Janet - Glad to hear you signed up for another HIM.  I hope you'll find it a lot more enjoyable.

I've been off my feet for the last 4 days...Again!!  After my 3rd relapse of this cold thing.  I went to the gym today and did an hour of weights (I just had to do something).  I just took it easy - no rushing and I felt pretty good although I was  just borderline okay.  Tomorrow will be a bit more of a test of how well I'm recuperating with a swim and bike ride.

For something to do I watched the LA Marathon yesterday.  It was quite interesting - so many people and inspirational athletes.  I particularly liked seeing all the young students that were running.  What a great achievement for them.

2017-03-22 9:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Missouri

George - hope you're feeling better!

I'm feeling really motivated to train this week (although apparently not enough to get my butt out of bed this morning and get to the pool ).  Not sure if it's the fact that spring seems to have finally sprung here or maybe just because I have a fall goal race on the schedule now.  I sat down this past weekend and planned out my training (20 week program) for the spring & summer.  It'll start a couple weeks after my 25k trail race on 4/8 - which I am way under-prepared for but I'm looking forward to doing it anyway, I'll just be really slow.  

10k this weekend - fairly flat course so I'm kind of hoping for a PR.  It will probably depend a lot on the weather - it may be a wet race.  

Janet

Edited by soccermom15 2017-03-22 9:45 AM
2017-03-22 3:54 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Regular
Hi All,

I have fallen off the wagon for the past month due to work etc (blah blah - translates as being a lazy sod!)

I was reminded that my event is in 31 days and I hadn't sat on a bike in 4 weeks

So 10 miles on the trainer tonight at a high (for me) pace, legs very wobbly after so i must have been pushing I think.

I now have 3 weeks to get as close to being race ready as possible, I'll make a decision the week before if I should scrub the race.
Or just bite the bullet and accept that it will hurt like hell?
Planning back on the bike again tomorrow, although its my day off work I already have a list of jobs to do and then have my final curling match of the season at night ...

Some good training been going on, well done the racers.
George - hope the lurgy gets better - there have been some nasty colds that just wont go away over here )I've managed to miss them so far!)

Take care everyone - I read back properly soon
2017-03-23 4:45 AM
in reply to: adbru

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by adbru

Hi All,

I have fallen off the wagon for the past month due to work etc (blah blah - translates as being a lazy sod!)

I was reminded that my event is in 31 days and I hadn't sat on a bike in 4 weeks

So 10 miles on the trainer tonight at a high (for me) pace, legs very wobbly after so i must have been pushing I think.

I now have 3 weeks to get as close to being race ready as possible, I'll make a decision the week before if I should scrub the race. Or just bite the bullet and accept that it will hurt like hell? Planning back on the bike again tomorrow, although its my day off work I already have a list of jobs to do and then have my final curling match of the season at night ...

Some good training been going on, well done the racers. George - hope the lurgy gets better - there have been some nasty colds that just wont go away over here )I've managed to miss them so far!)

Take care everyone - I read back properly soon

Hey Adrian,

If I had a nickel for every time I have "fallen off the wagon" I could retire in a fair degree of comfort.

I'll tell you a little story about being prepared for a race.  My very first Half-Marathon all those years ago (Oh my, has it REALLY been that long?), I was WOEFULLY unprepared.  I had a whole list of perfectly acceptable "reasons" why that was the case, but at the end of the day, on race day, I was no where near prepared for a 5k, let alone a half-marathon.  However, I wasn't about to tell my friends that I was a lazy boob who'd watched way too many sports in the sports bar instead of training - so I started the race.  By halfway I swore to myself I would NEVER do something so ridiculous again in my life.  By the end, I had discovered things about myself that I hadn't know - I had a capacity to finish what I'd started I didn't know I had.  Later that evening I realized that had I not attempted the race, I never would have forgiven myself.  The next morning, when registration for prior participants opened for the following year race, I again signed up, vowing to be properly prepared.

I'm not telling you all this so you can say, "Great, I don't REALLY have to prepare."  Rather, so that you can see, sometimes life happens and for whatever reason - sometimes valid, sometimes simply because we blew the workouts off - we aren't as prepared for the race as we would like to be.  Something brought you to signing up for the race in the first place.  If it were me, I'd honor whatever it was and toe the line.  The human body is capable of incredible things when we simply get out of the way.  Obviously don't hurt yourself, but don't be afraid of a little self-induced discomfort either.  At the finish line, that pain turns into a special kind of satisfaction.

2017-03-23 5:08 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: DANG!

I apologize to everyone for not being around as frequently as I should.  

I was hospitalized last Saturday.  The doctors have found a small bowel obstruction and have determined it needs to be corrected surgically so it appears I will be here at least a few more days.  Now that I suddenly have a few extra minutes on my hands  I will get to scrutinize every word that all of you post.  LOL so feel the freedom to post a LOT!  That's my pitch to keep my entertained!

With 10-12 weeks before I can return to hard workouts, it is fairly apparent at this point that my 2017 season is over before it even began.  Certainly any thoughts of competing at the Ironman distance in 2017 will fade away on the operating table.  A late season Olympic might still be possible, however we are planning to relocate back to Indiana prior to the summer so since "late season" in Indiana will occur considerably sooner than it occurs in California I'm not sure if that's wishful thinking or a real possibility.  As they say, "We will see what we will see."

On a side note, I am now looking for a personal assistant.  I found it necessary to fire my last one.  I double checked, this was NOT on my schedule so clearly I need someone better at managing my daily activities!  

2017-03-23 7:36 AM

Subject: RE: DANG!
I will send you positive energy for a speedy recovery and a thanks for all your help and information.
2017-03-23 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

I apologize to everyone for not being around as frequently as I should.  

I was hospitalized last Saturday.  The doctors have found a small bowel obstruction and have determined it needs to be corrected surgically so it appears I will be here at least a few more days.  Now that I suddenly have a few extra minutes on my hands  I will get to scrutinize every word that all of you post.  LOL so feel the freedom to post a LOT!  That's my pitch to keep my entertained!

With 10-12 weeks before I can return to hard workouts, it is fairly apparent at this point that my 2017 season is over before it even began.  Certainly any thoughts of competing at the Ironman distance in 2017 will fade away on the operating table.  A late season Olympic might still be possible, however we are planning to relocate back to Indiana prior to the summer so since "late season" in Indiana will occur considerably sooner than it occurs in California I'm not sure if that's wishful thinking or a real possibility.  As they say, "We will see what we will see."

On a side note, I am now looking for a personal assistant.  I found it necessary to fire my last one.  I double checked, this was NOT on my schedule so clearly I need someone better at managing my daily activities!  

Scott - sorry to hear about the need for surgery.  Hope things go well and you recover quickly.  Sending good thoughts your way!

I hear you about the personal assistant.  I know people whose lives are way more complicated/busy than mine and they seem to have no trouble managing things.  I don't know how they do it - my life is fairly simple especially now that the kids are grown and I still have trouble fitting everything in.  Sometimes I think a little OCD is not necessarily a bad thing .

2017-03-23 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by adbru Hi All, I have fallen off the wagon for the past month due to work etc (blah blah - translates as being a lazy sod!) I was reminded that my event is in 31 days and I hadn't sat on a bike in 4 weeks So 10 miles on the trainer tonight at a high (for me) pace, legs very wobbly after so i must have been pushing I think. I now have 3 weeks to get as close to being race ready as possible, I'll make a decision the week before if I should scrub the race. Or just bite the bullet and accept that it will hurt like hell? Planning back on the bike again tomorrow, although its my day off work I already have a list of jobs to do and then have my final curling match of the season at night ... Some good training been going on, well done the racers. George - hope the lurgy gets better - there have been some nasty colds that just wont go away over here )I've managed to miss them so far!) Take care everyone - I read back properly soon

I hear you on this!  I'm not really prepared for my 25k either but I'm registered so I'm going to do it anyway, even if it hurts.  I have to agree with Scott - I think the body can do a lot more than the mind thinks sometimes.   I read a book recently - "How Bad Do You Want It" - by Matt Fitzgerald that talks a lot about the mental side of training and racing.  He essentially says the same thing - when most people DNF or DNS it's more mental than physical.  That's not to say that I think you should do the race if there is a physical reason why you can't - but if you can complete the distance (I'm sorry, I don't remember what the race is that you were planning), then think about how bad you want it and go from there.  Just my thoughts on it.

Janet

2017-03-23 12:16 PM

User image

Good luck on your surgery and recovery. I will keep you in my prayers that all goes well.

2017-03-23 12:22 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by adbru Hi All, I have fallen off the wagon....

Work has slowed down a bit for me.  My boss must have noticed that I was coming in 2 hours early every day and still getting behind because he re-assigned some of the work I was doing to himself. So work has been okay but I am still missing more training than I would like. 

Two Saturdays ago I went on a last minute "Spring Break Trip" 8 hours away to our where we used to live in Texas.  It was out first time back since moving almost two years ago.  Great trip and I have no regrets but I missed my long bike ride and brick run on Saturday.

Last Saturday I spend very minute of sun light build a new grow out pen for our chickens.  We already have over 40 baby chicks in the brooder that are ready for the new pen and will be hatching 15-20 more chicks every two weeks until I start doing races the middle of May.  

This week I had a BSA Repelling Certification class start.  It is require that you have two certified leaders in your troop to take them repelling and why even have a scouting program if the boys don't get to go repelling. :-)  So... on Tuesday I left work early to drive two hours to the training and then got back after my bed time.  It will be a five day class.  I have another class from 7-9PM this Friday followed by an 8AM-5PM class on Saturday.  So, I will be staying out of twon on Friday and missing my long ride & brick run again this week.  The last two classes with we another Tuesday evening class in two weeks with another 8 hour day that Saturday which means another missed Saturday.  Hopeful I will finish my chicken grow out pen next Saturday early enough to get in a long ride and run.  I should be able to. I think I only have 2-3 hours more of work on it (but some times that really means 10-12 hours).  

So....spring is always a busy time of the year for me. I am doing my best to stay on that wagon but know that there has to be a balance in life.  Sometimes it is a favorable balance sometime and unfavorable balance.  I do what I can and hope for the best.  I am looking forward to the Summer then life slows down and I get to take more vacation and do some races. 

2017-03-23 6:33 PM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
I hope you feel better soon!
2017-03-24 6:38 PM

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
Nothing worse than an injury to set you back....nothing other than surgery to set you back even farther!!

Speedy recovery Scott!!
2017-03-25 12:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

No need to apologize Scott.  Your health trump's (no pun) our minor issues.  By far we want you to be healthy.  You'll just have to plan a particularly meaningful race to celebrate your return to health next season.  I can't imagine what that might be - especially with you moving to another state but maybe there was a race you really enjoyed in the past - OR - one you've had on your bucket list.  Like Kona but not necessarily Kona.

I am planning to write lots to try to entertain you.  I'll even try to keep it in the vein of swimming and triathlons.  I'll try not to be too boring.

First - Last week I was talking with a couple swimmers and one of the fellows was telling us about a book.  I believe the title was, "The Three Year Swim Club".  About a non-swimmer and how he organized a swim club for the kids of Hawaiian pineapple farm workers in the 1930s, who only had ditches to swim in (if I remember the story right).  It sounded to me like a good "Hidden Figures" type true story.  I just thought it might be a book you might be interested in reading if you have a bit of free time.

Second - Just a little bit interesting - A woman joined our swim group yesterday and because we knew each other from cycling she was pleased to glom onto me as a familiar face so I could help her get comfortable with the new group.  She followed behind me and each time I hit the wall I'd turn and watch her swim.  She seemed to be keeping up well and she was swimming perfectly level her technique looked better than mine.  Then we switched to a 50m of kicking and she was enviously fast.  I also explained a few abbreviations and lane etiquette.  Overall she was very enthusiastic.  Just now I'm faster than her but I got the feeling she'll be quickly picking up speed and leaving me behind.  In fairness, the session was an easy one by our typical standard so she may struggle a bit when we have a harder workout.

So, then, last night we had our last indoor cycling session and afterwards we went to a cannery for some celebratory beer.  During the evening I was talking to my new swim buddy and her husband and I asked her how much of a swimming background she has (I was convinced she has some background) and she says, "None!"  I can't imagine a non swimmer could look that good in the water.

So, no fault of hers but I'm thinking I need to focus more on my own  technique and figure out how to swim faster.  Maybe slow down a bit and focus on the feel of the pull and keeping my feet higher.  Just made me feel like I've been slacking off rather than pushing myself.

I have sped up some, maybe another 5 secs/ 100m but I feel I should be improving more than I have been.

I hope this all helps kill a few minutes for you.

2017-03-25 3:06 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

An update.

It appears there was some dissension between the doctors on my health care team that I wasn't aware of.  The surgeons wanted to cut, the internal medicine doc's wanted to treat medically with medication.  After laying in bed for two days expecting to be taken to surgery at any moment, the doctors changed course - they decided to discharge me and treat me medically at home.  Health care in America!  Gotta love it!

They have ordered rest for at least two weeks then easy activity for another couple of weeks.  It has been suggested I likely won't be able to return to a real training schedule for at least 6-8 weeks although I am free to take short walks, increasing them gradually over time.  Since I feel like I could go do a long ride today I have a suspicion that I might be doing a bit more than "gradually increasing over time."  I know, I know, follow doctors orders.

I am.

Today.

The season is certainly altered although it fortunately appears now that it may not be over.

Thank you everyone for the well wishes.  

2017-03-25 5:01 PM

User image

Regular
Hi Scott,

Good to hear you might miss the surgery, but dont do too much too soon !

Janet - re my race , its a 70 mile cycle with a fair bit of lumpiness around Loch Ness.

Did a 9 mile loop today and have a planned 25miler first thing tomorrow morning, that will really show how much I have lost in 4 weeks!!

Take care

Adbru
2017-03-25 8:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

An update.

... the doctors changed course - they decided to discharge me and treat me medically at home.  Health care in America!  Gotta love it!

Good news for you Scott ... glad the Doc's picked the less intrusive course and hope this is successful. 

2017-03-26 12:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Scott - That certainly does sound like good news.  Even if you are doing nothing I'm sure it is still better at home.  I would think an easy Zone 1 bike ride would be low key enough to not cause any problems for you.  Although, I would say if it caused you any aggravating issues you should stop immediately.

While swimming today I had a weird incident with an interloper swimmer that made me decide to ask if you know of a list of lane sharing or pool etiquette rules?  I'm sure I saw them in the past but not in a long time.

I was sharing a lane with a friend and we were each swimming our own workouts.  I was on my last 50m lap of my main set today when I noticed a fellow swim by in our lane (going the wrong way).  I was on my last lap so I kept swimming but looking for this fellow but I got to the wall and turned and he was swimming as though he were splitting the lane (again going the wrong way) so I started off on a normal counterclockwise last 50m.  Somehow he just disappeared from our lane and as I turned to swim back on my last 25m I saw him in the next lane (a slow lane with several very slow swimmers and he was swimming fast in between the slow swimmers like some people drive through traffic.  I didn't think of it until now but maybe I should have said something to the lifeguards at least just to point him out.

I have to say, I was surprised at how nice it was in the pool on a Saturday.  I was expecting lots of kids and lane swimmers but it was actually just the perfect number.  I may go again.

2017-03-26 12:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Hey Adrian ... I thought of me when I read your post.  I've fallen off the wagon so many times, there's an escalator built on the side of it now to help me back on!

Seriously though ... in commenting on the situation for your ride, I think there's time for you to easily salvage the race and get it behind you.  I did a loooong ride event last year and waffled back and forth as to doing it or not.  When I finally accepted that I'd go, I was 6 weeks out and my training had been thin at best.  Given the time left, I concentrated on increasing my distance; my endurance; my in-ride fueling and overall not burning my 'matches' early on. 

Some really good pre-ride training advice ones gave me was:

• do at least one ride that is 70% distance of the race length ... for me this was 70 miles.  Sound like 45-50 miles would do it for you.
  • I did at least one outside ride each week and gradually increased distance ... 25miles, 35 miles, 45 miles, 60 miles and I think my longest was 67 miles.
  • You need to get the time in the saddle ... I needed the longer rides to toughen up my butt.  I'd found that once I started increasing my distance, it wasn't the legs or lungs - rather my butt that limited me.  The pain from this with 10 miles or so to go really saps your energy, so you need the to toughen up.

During the ride:

• ride at 70% max power (a power meter is great for this) or if using HR, do the same and work to keep the HR down.  There are times wherein you may have to go all out, but overall you want to conserve.
  • I ate and drank consistently during my ride (eating every 20-25 minutes) a Stinger or gel, and drinking a lot of NUUN supplemented water
  • suck in behind ones whenever there's opportunity
  • coast on the downhills
  • take a rest break if there are stations ... limit your time, but do get off, stretch, take on nutrition if there, etc

And lastly there's always Rule 5: ... simply HTFU!!

Ciao ... Dorm

Edited by Dorm57 2017-03-26 12:54 PM
2017-03-26 4:38 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Scott

So sorry to hear that you have a medical issue, but glad to hear that the surgery may not be required. As many have written, your advice has been greatly appreciated... also hope to hear of you getting out there this summer!

This morning, I got my butt to the pool for the first time since.... August... Yeesh, it has been far too long. I did manage 1600 metres in total, doing a mix of 50s and 100s . Long way to go in the next 4 months
Being able to SEE the pace clock with my new eyes was good and bad - good for the obvious...bad cuz, well, it is now easy to see how painfully slow I was going

My left knee is still giving me problems, but I have been getting some short runs in, as well as trainer rides.

Have a great week everyone!

2017-03-27 10:58 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Expert
Missouri

Scott - glad to hear that you won't need surgery and you may be able to race this year.  Listen to the doctor though!  You don't want to make thing worse and then end up needing the surgery anyway.

I did my 10k Saturday morning.  No PR for me but it was still a really good run.  I felt pretty strong the whole time and the rain held off until afternoon so it was a cloudy and windy morning but at least it was dry.  Sunday morning I went out for a group run on the trails (got wet during that one) - 6.5 miles in the mud and through several creeks but it felt good.  I'm feeling a little better about my 25k in 2 weeks - I'll be slow but I don't think finishing it will be an issue (barring injury/weather issues/etc.).  I'm going to cut back on the running the next 2 weeks and spend a little more time on my bike and in the pool.  

Have a great week all!
Janet

2017-03-27 12:20 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wenceslasz

While swimming today I had a weird incident with an interloper swimmer that made me decide to ask if you know of a list of lane sharing or pool etiquette rules?  I'm sure I saw them in the past but not in a long time.

I was sharing a lane with a friend and we were each swimming our own workouts.  I was on my last 50m lap of my main set today when I noticed a fellow swim by in our lane (going the wrong way).  I was on my last lap so I kept swimming but looking for this fellow but I got to the wall and turned and he was swimming as though he were splitting the lane (again going the wrong way) so I started off on a normal counterclockwise last 50m.  Somehow he just disappeared from our lane and as I turned to swim back on my last 25m I saw him in the next lane (a slow lane with several very slow swimmers and he was swimming fast in between the slow swimmers like some people drive through traffic.  I didn't think of it until now but maybe I should have said something to the lifeguards at least just to point him out.

Hey George,

I don't understand idiots like that!

The common etiquette is just as you were doing, circle swimming, staying to the right.  Clearly someone cutting in and out of lanes, dodging in and out of people, is just someone seeking attention.  At the least I would have confronted him and likely would have taken it to lifeguards and/or pool management.

A few months ago, I was swimming, minding my own business when this guy gets into the lane beside me and asks the woman if she minds sharing.  Of course she says yes and they agree to split the lane.  This idiot waits until she pushes off then goes right behind her, and repeatedly passes her about half way down.  I watch this happen three or four times and it became clear, he's just showing off, or more accurately feeding his own ego at the expense of a woman who was merely doing a solid swim workout.  So I think to myself, "It's nice to play with people clearly slower than you, how do you fare when you're swimming with someone faster?"  At that point, I started pushing off with him.  I'd pace him down the lane, he's trying to speed up and drop me but I easily keep pace and pass him the last 5 yards to the wall, we turn, I let him catch me, and the cycle repeats.  After just a couple of reps it's apparent he isn't the fastest fish in the ocean and he left.  The woman in the lane finished her workout and we had a really good laugh at showoff's expense.

Here are links to a couple of etiquette lists -

http://myswimcoachonline.com/swim-training-etiquette-when-swimming-in-a-group/

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Training/Beginners/Group_Swim_Etiquette_5044.html

2017-03-27 10:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Thanks Scott.  The two lists are exactly what I was looking for.  I'm kicking myself for not pointing the show-off swimmer out to the lifeguards but I will if I see him again.  I like that you were able to have the last laugh with the lady in the next lane over the show-off swimmer.

I swam a rare 1000TT today and I shaved just a fraction over 3 seconds per 100m off my previous best time.  But I am still swimming with my head too high even though I thought I was down low in the water and I am kicking higher in the water but I am still also kicking lower as well.  I want to break both bad habits.  There was also a 3rd bad habit but I already forgot what it was.

2017-03-28 2:01 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Expert
Missouri

I think I'm really lucky that we don't have a lot of issues at the pool where I swim - at least not in the mornings when the more serious swimmers are there.  (I've had a few issues when trying to swim in the evenings though).  I went this morning and it was crowded!  There were already 9 people swimming when I got there, and we only have 3 lanes.  One of the ladies was outside the lanes (in the general swim/play area) so I think she must have finished her workout and was just cooling down over there.  I got in the slow lane with 2 other ladies and we were pretty evenly paced so the circle swimming worked out well for us.  I'm used to either having a lane to myself or just splitting with 1 other person so this morning was something different, but it all went well.  I think I pushed my pace a little though just trying to make sure I wasn't holding the other ladies up, but that's not a bad thing - I need to add a little intensity to my swim workouts anyway.

Planning an easy run tonight - it's the only day when rain isn't in the forecast.  We spent the last month with the March winds, now it seems the April showers are starting about a week early .  But that's OK, it means race season is starting soon!

Janet

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 31

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.