BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2017-05-09 4:06 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
Hi Everyone,

I need to get my mojo back. Or my swag, as my teenager says. I did a sprint tri last month, and since then I've been blah. Mostly due to work. How do y'all break out of a no-motivation down-in-the-dumps trough?

Kathy

2017-05-10 4:24 PM
in reply to: kszelei

User image

Regular
Hi Kathy,

I had the same problem in Feb.
If you don't have another goal/race lined up then pick one and enter.
It helps (me) to have a line in the sand but sometimes you just need to get out the door and remember that you love the endorphin rush after training

GFI (go for it!)

Adbru
2017-05-11 5:35 AM
in reply to: adbru

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by adbru

First swim in a looong time. Only 400m but its a start

Also got my garmin working with the HRM strap so will read back on all the heart rate info on these pages.

First observation was my resting heart rate sits around 54, during the swim it felt like my heart was trying to come out my chest so I put my finger on my neck to check my pulse - 112?

Do these seem a bit low? I am 51.....

Will try and read back tomorrow

Adrian

Adrian,

Good job on getting into the water!

Resting HR is very individual.  It isn't uncommon for a trained individual to have a low resting HR.  Ideally, you monitor your resting HR over time.  If it suddenly spikes for 2-3 days by several beats per minute - that is an indication you are in need of recovery.

112 BPM seems low for a swimming HR.  Remember that swimming can easily be anaerobic, especially if you haven't been in the water for some time.  The best way to check HR in the water is with a carotid pulse as it sounds like you did.  I generally do a 10-second pulse check then multiply for 6.  If that yields an unreasonable number, try again for 15-seconds.

2017-05-11 5:43 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by adbru I hit it hard enough to blow the tubes in both wheels, both feet came out of the cleats, I ended up with my gentleman parts on the handlebars (at 20 mph).

OUCH!!!

Originally posted by adbru 

I am also a motorcyclist and instinct told me to hit the front brake, but my brain was screaming "No ! all the weight is over the front wheel- touch the brake and your over the front!!" Managed to get my feet down and like Bambi on ice veered to the right hand verge, running out of soft grass and about to be thrown onto the tarmac I decided to 'tuck and roll', went for the grass and came down on my right shoulder. Shoulder was sore yesterday, slight graze on my right cheekbone but all ok.

Changed the tubes, then found the gear shifter for the rear derailer was fubar - stuck in the lowest gear. what to do.... limp back to the start - or do the next 36 miles with only the front chainset gears working, it was the hardest outdoor spin session I've ever done !! I could only pedal up to 17mph due to the gearing so it took a long time to finish, but we got there.

Bike is now in the shop, hope to have it back by the weekend- bill is likely to be at least 200gbp (250 usd?) Thats if the wheels are not buckled as well

Its all good fun in Tri-Land lol !! Stay safe folks!

There's two classes of cyclists - those that have crashed and those that are going to crash.  Fortunately you only had some bumps, bruises and a bike repair.  I second your words - stay safe folks!

2017-05-11 5:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by kszelei

Hi Everyone,

I need to get my mojo back. Or my swag, as my teenager says. I did a sprint tri last month, and since then I've been blah. Mostly due to work. How do y'all break out of a no-motivation down-in-the-dumps trough?

Kathy

Hey Kathy,

I think we have all been there at one time or another.  The first thing is get another race on your calendar.  Having something out there provides some motivation all by itself.  Next thing, I have my training plan shared with my Outlook calendar (you can do that through Beginner Triathlete if you are a paid member and have you training plan saved.  The "other" site also allow you to do the same thing.  You can also share your training plan with other calendars - gmail, etc.).  By doing that, I can see my training schedule on my phone and I get reminders on my phone when it's time to workout.  I try and get the workout started BEFORE the reminder.  Kind of a little competition with myself.  Finally, I remind myself why I started doing triathlons in the first place.  There is a reason you started - what was it?  Sometimes recalling what got you started will help get you started again.

Don't beat yourself up because you lost a bit of mojo for a brief period of time - remember it isn't how many times you fall down, rather, how many times you get back up.

Hope that helps.

Edited by k9car363 2017-05-11 5:56 AM
2017-05-11 12:17 PM

User image

Subject: weekend racing but...
So I have made it through my training and am preparing for a Sprint Tri this weekend. I am ready to go...

I also made a detour to the doctor because I have a Baker's cyst behind my right knee. It seemed to flare up more as my training intensified. I can definitely feel it especially after runs. I was hoping to make it through the season before I had to deal with this. Maybe not now. He recommended an ortho Dr. He thought I would be able to be scoped and back and going in a couple weeks. He believes it is a tear which is leading to the cyst. I have an appt to be checked out by the ortho. He also thought I would only be out a couple weeks. Anyone have any experience with this. My A race is in August so it was a question whether I could do this and then continue training quickly or to try and hold off until after the season.

Thanks for any insights.....
David

Edited by noldowney 2017-05-11 12:22 PM

2017-05-11 10:01 PM
in reply to: noldowney

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: weekend racing but...

Originally posted by noldowney

So I have made it through my training and am preparing for a Sprint Tri this weekend. I am ready to go...

I also made a detour to the doctor because I have a Baker's cyst behind my right knee. It seemed to flare up more as my training intensified. I can definitely feel it especially after runs. I was hoping to make it through the season before I had to deal with this. Maybe not now. He recommended an ortho Dr. He thought I would be able to be scoped and back and going in a couple weeks. He believes it is a tear which is leading to the cyst. I have an appt to be checked out by the ortho. He also thought I would only be out a couple weeks. Anyone have any experience with this. My A race is in August so it was a question whether I could do this and then continue training quickly or to try and hold off until after the season.

Thanks for any insights..... David

My wife regularly has Baker's cysts behind her knee.  In her case, it is a direct result of the Osteoarthritis.  She takes 800mg Ibuprofen a couple times a day and stays off the leg for a few days.  The doctor has been telling her for years that she will continue to have the cysts until she has the knee replacement surgery.

I know my wife is in pain for a couple of days when the cyst flares up, but she can "tame" it and is then generally fine for a few months before another flare.  Obviously your situation is different than hers so I would seek some guidance from your physician regarding whether you can hold off or not.

2017-05-12 5:55 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Hi Guys.

Scott- i checked my pulse with a 15 second x 4 reading, I just find swimming really hard!
I will get my stamina up to around 800m then start on the proper drills- i the moment i struggle to complete the warmup lol :-)

Z2 run last night, just under five miles with average 144bpm - my Z2 is roughly 140-150 band.
However I need to build my run fitness as I couldn't have gone much faster and maintained the pace anyway!

David - hope the cyst is ok, I'm fortunate that I haven't had that problem.

Will fon the bike shop later to find out how much the repair will hurt......

Take care
2017-05-15 12:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Kathy - did you find your mojo yet?

George - how was the tri? Have you got the next one planned?

Adrian - I am glad that you are ok, but sorry to hear about the damage to your bike... I hope you can get it repaired without too much damage to the wallet..

David - How was the sprint? I hope the baker's cyst was not an issue.

Curtis - congrats on the 5km, and how did the Ragnar relay go??

Janet - How was the Oly?

My weekend training went ok. Long run on Sat of 2:10 covered 19.3km doing the 'run 2k, walk 30 seconds' approach. Went to the pool last night for a 1500 swim, only to get 900 or so before they announced it was closing time... Forgot that it closes earlier on weekends Oh well..
Today was a 4-hr ride, and I got 101 km covered ... Feeling under-prepared at this point, so gotta get more bike miles done.

Have a great week ahead everyone

2017-05-15 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Thanks for letting me join.
I am on a 20 week progran with about 4 weeks prep for that, for the Louisville IM. I did 30 weeks in 2012 but felt as if I burned out closer to the race with the intense training.
This group will be great. In 2012 I had a coach and was part of a team. Big Mistake. Our coach coached everyone the same and I did not know enough to know better. Some lessons I have learned.......
When I did the Louisville Ironman in 2012 I completed the swim and the bike but missed the run checkpoint by 1 minute and 23 seconds. Anyone of the factors below would have gotten me there in time.

1. For the IM I was training in zone 2-4 all summer whereas now I will train mostly in zone 2 with some zone 3 intervals.
2. At this age build 2 weeks rest 1.
3. 2-3 Days before race, only run ride or swim to make adjustments not train. It was 90+ degrees the week of the IM. I lost way too much fluid before the race training, pre-parties and looking aroung Louisville. I met a 3-time Hawaii IM participant. He said, despite what anyone tells you, keep off your feet, cool and no pre-parties at least three days before competing.
4. Tape your hydration and calorie gels to your top bike crossbar. Its misery trying to access them from wherever (pockets, bike bag, etc.) and open them with sweaty hands while riding. Do whatever you have to to remember to take your re-hydrate and gel packs. I recommend ReHydrate gel pack by MLM nonsense products for Electrolyte balance. They are the only one I know of that make a gel electrolyte.
5. Tire pressure, tire pressure, tire pressure, tire pressure.........did I say tire pressure. It was so hot that, like most I let air out of my tires the night before so they would not pop, and there were a lot that were popping. Mine did not pop but I did a 112 miles on 80PSI. I did not refill in the morning.
6. For those of us that are happily married and it is a big turn-on for your spouse to see you in competition.......tell them No-touchy the night before the race.......make that 2 nights before the race.......LOL........
7. Don't let all the people sitting on the side of the road freak you out. It did me. I kept thinking wow they look in great shape how can I be finishing this race when that guy is out. Just keep going.......Its nothing but a big head trip when you fixate on the ones that have not made it and there are plenty of those out there. it messes with your head.
7. Have fun..........don't worry about what anyone does or thinks, and, quit predicting your times, lol.............its your day!
My two cents worth form what little experience I do have.
Tom

Edited by Tkimble01 2017-05-15 1:51 PM
2017-05-15 9:55 PM
in reply to: Tkimble01

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Tkimble01

When I did the Louisville Ironman in 2012 I completed the swim and the bike but missed the run checkpoint by 1 minute and 23 seconds. Anyone of the factors below would have gotten me there in time.

1. For the IM I was training in zone 2-4 all summer whereas now I will train mostly in zone 2 with some zone 3 intervals. 

For running, you will be better served staying primarily in zone 2.  As you build your aerobic base some Z5 strides or farleks wil be helpful.  Once you are into your build you can add some Z4 speed work to increase speed.  Time spent running in Z3 ends up being somewhat wasted time as you aren't training slow enough to cause adaptation to the aerobic energy pathways nor are you training fast enough to cause adaptation to the aerobic energy pathways.

2. At this age build 2 weeks rest 1.

I have increasingly been getting away from a fixed periodization schedule for myself as well as the athletes I work with - whether the schedule be 3/1, 2/1 or any other fixed build/recovery ratio in favor of a more dynamic approach.  Basically inserting recovery workouts/days when needed as opposed to scheduling them.  Too often I have seen athletes that are barely hanging on at the end of a two or three week build.  Towards the end of those builds workout quality suffers as fatigue builds beyond manageable levels.  By taking recovery time when needed, workout quality remains high which contributes to a higher overall level of training.

3. 2-3 Days before race, only run ride or swim to make adjustments not train. It was 90+ degrees the week of the IM. I lost way too much fluid before the race training, pre-parties and looking aroung Louisville. I met a 3-time Hawaii IM participant. He said, despite what anyone tells you, keep off your feet, cool and no pre-parties at least three days before competing. 

An IM is a serious event for serious athletes (in my humble opinion).  As such there should be a plan that includes a taper/peak.  Those final days before the event should be pretty well planned.  I had an athlete at Louisville last year and the last three days before the event were planned out almost to the hour.  For the record, there weren't any parties, there were a couple of short runs to get the blood flowing, a swim to acclimate to the river and a ride to make sure the bike was mechanically sound.  You're right, save the sight-seeing for after the race.

4. Tape your hydration and calorie gels to your top bike crossbar. Its misery trying to access them from wherever (pockets, bike bag, etc.) and open them with sweaty hands while riding. Do whatever you have to to remember to take your re-hydrate and gel packs. I recommend ReHydrate gel pack by MLM nonsense products for Electrolyte balance. They are the only one I know of that make a gel electrolyte.

I will say right up front that I have no financial interest in what I am about to recommend.  I use this product and highly endorse it.  Check out Infinit Nutrition - https://www.infinitnutrition.us/.  They have pre-mixed formulas or you can create a custom blend.  You can have a sport drink that contains EVERYTHING you need - carbs, protein, electrolytes - EVERYTHING.  You can blend it so that you tolerate it well - not too sweet, not too strong, etc.  You can include caffeine if desired.  Their website does a far better job of introducing their product than I can do.  One of the biggest advantages in my opinion is you don't have to deal with gels!

Infinit combined with a small amount of solid food (I use quartered peanut butter and jelly sandwiches) can be the basis for an Ironman nutrition/hydration plan.

5. Tire pressure, tire pressure, tire pressure, tire pressure.........did I say tire pressure. It was so hot that, like most I let air out of my tires the night before so they would not pop, and there were a lot that were popping. Mine did not pop but I did a 112 miles on 80PSI. I did not refill in the morning. 

I would wager you won't make this mistake again!

6. For those of us that are happily married and it is a big turn-on for your spouse to see you in competition.......tell them No-touchy the night before the race.......make that 2 nights before the race.......LOL........ 7. Don't let all the people sitting on the side of the road freak you out. It did me. I kept thinking wow they look in great shape how can I be finishing this race when that guy is out. Just keep going.......Its nothing but a big head trip when you fixate on the ones that have not made it and there are plenty of those out there. it messes with your head. 7. Have fun..........don't worry about what anyone does or thinks, and, quit predicting your times, lol.............its your day! My two cents worth form what little experience I do have. Tom

6.  Back when I was swimming, the "No-touchy" ban was a week before.  2-nights is EASY!

7.  An Ironman is about pacing, not fitness. You will see incredibly fit men and women that don't know how to pace an Ironman race walking or sitting on the side of the road.  You are right, don't let them influence you.  I tell everyone I work with, put blinders on.  Control the things you can and forget about the rest.

It occurs to me you have learned a LOT for someone that has "little experience!"  You have also learned the most important lesson - HAVE FUN!

2017-05-15 11:20 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi Kelly, my sprint was fun and I just posted a race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=547154&posts=1&page=1

It was pretty straight forward so it isn't a very exciting read but I had fun.  My next race is the Oliver Olympic, June 3rd but our spring has been so cool and wet I'm not sure if we're going to get in to the lake to swim before the race.

How about your plans?  What is coming up?

2017-05-16 9:50 AM

User image

Sprint Tri went well.
I tried the wetsuit and did an swim warmup and realized the water was much warmer than I thought. So I took the wetsuit off for the race which was the correct answer. Water was cold on entering but was quickly just like swimming at the Y without the walls. I was really churning the water for the first 100 100 to 150 meters. Then I slowed to a steady pace. I had trouble getting on any feet so I basically swam it all by myself. Finish the swim in approx 9:50 which was quite a bit better than last year. (4 minutes, it was much colder last year). T1 was a little slow and I had a hard time getting clipped in at the start of the bike. After that I stayed in the aero bars and kept pressure on the pedals the whole time. I did not charge the hills as much as in the past due to wanting to stay in the aero mode. Only a couple of people passed me on the bike. The run also went well. First mile plus had a tail wind which helped get out to a good pace. Next 2 was on a pea gravel trail that was very soft. Made if through and finish about 30 seconds faster than last years run. Ended up at 1:12 and some change good for 2 in age group and 31 overall. Knee did not give me any issues during the run. I plan to visit the ortho next week for a consult but I think I will be able to manage this season without doing anything drastic.

Thanks everyone.
David
2017-05-16 12:44 PM
in reply to: noldowney

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Hi David,

I had a Baker's cyst years ago for no apparent reason. An ortho told me the best things to do were to strengthen my quads and stretch my hamstrings. It worked, haven't had a problem since. If you have a tear, though, that puts a whole new spin on things. Two choices: physical therapy or surgery. It all depends, of course, on how badly the cyst is bothering you and/or how bad the tear is. Am MRI can give you the information you need. Scoping will give the doc a direct view of what's going on and possibly allow him/her to fix it, but there will be a recovery period for you.
Let me know what happens.

Kathy
2017-05-16 12:49 PM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the advice on getting my "swag" back. I started working with a personal trainer (love her!) and I signed up for an OLY in October. Also, I got a new job; my current job is really getting me down. The new one offers a better work schedule and environment (I get to work from home) and more money. So I'm taking that old commute time and turning it into training time.

Kathy
2017-05-17 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

George & David - congrats on your races!

My race (Gateway Oly) last weekend got canceled.  We had a lot of rain a couple weeks ago that led to some major flooding in the area.  Apparently the lake/park were still dealing with the aftermath of that so the race was called off.  Good news is my entry will transfer to next year so I already have a paid-for race on my schedule for next May .  I did a DIY "race" instead on Saturday - OWS, group bike ride and then a run through the neighborhood.  The swim and run were a little short of the Oly distance and the bike was a little long, but overall it was good practice for me.  I've got a sprint coming up this weekend and I'm feeling pretty good about it.  

Hope everyone is having a great week!
Janet

2017-05-17 12:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Thanks for the response. I think I will always call myself a beginner. There is something to learn on every event.
I have tried Infiniti and like it but it is a matter of what works. I have a tremendously high sweat rate so fluids seem to pass quickly.
The Rehydrate gels from MLM nonsense seem to work although I really like the Hammer Gels for Calories. I am going to train this year taping both on my bar alternation Electrolytes and Caloroes. I do supplement electolytes with tablets.
I think you are right about the recovery. I used the 2/1 training weeks as a guide but adjust according to my body signs. I have had 13 surgeries (8 Knee, 2 Hernia, 1 Cervical spine, 1 Elbow, 1 Sinus) as well as 2 spine blocks, 6 cortizone shots in knees and 6 gel shots in the knees so I have no choice but to listen when my body says OUCH!.........lol.
Anyway Talk Soon
Tom
2017-05-17 9:11 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: How to plan for an "A" race with a "B" race in the mix

I did rangnar Cap Cod over the weekend and got back in town today..  Last week I got in a 20 mile bike ride on Monday Morning before work then went into the office early on Tuesday and left town on Tuesday afternoon.  We drove three hours to Dallas on Tuesday and flew out to New York on a 5:45AM flight the next morning.  We spend the day in New York and saw the Statue of Liberty.  On Thursday day we drove up to Cap Cod to meet my family/team.  My wife and kids walked down to the beach and I followed them by a few minutes and ran to catch up. I felt very sluggish from 2-1/2 day of travel with no training.  I took 20 minutes to do strides/wind sprints and to stretch out.  after I got a good warm-up and some foot turn over I felt much better.  We ate as a team that night and the next morning at about 10:00 AM I was running my first leg of the race which was 8.25 miles.  I was very anxious to run after being cooped for 3 days and went out a lot faster than I should of.  i was about 40 seconds/mile under my target pace.  I tried to slow down byt stayed hot for the first 3 miles.  miles 3-6 were right on pace but the last 2 miles slowed and i went 20 seconds per mile over my target pace.  Over all I finished 6 sec/mi under my target pace.  

It was 6:00 before my group of the relay team got a break.  We showered and got some dinner.  I over ate at dinner.  I was starving and  just hoped that the four hours from dinner to my next leg of the race would be enough.  I ran again at about midnight.  My plan was to sand bag that leg of the race to use it as active recovery to set me up for a solid 3rd leg.  The 2nd leg was in the dark which wasn't ideal for racing hard anyways so I wanted to save myself for the last leg.  3-1/2 miles into the 2nd leg of my race I got heartburn really bad.  It was painful to swallow and breathing wasn't much better.  Is I stopped and tried to work through the heart burn before continuing.  I got water from another team's  SAG vehicle but even water to quench the burn didn't do much.  I walked til I saw the 1 mile to go sign then jogged in at an easy pace.  I was 2 minutes over my goal pace.  

My part of the team got our break at about 4 AM got to go back to our rest area and try to sleep until about 7:30 AM.   I ran again at about 9:00 AM.  my last leg of the race was listed at 6.2 miles.  I have never done a train for and stand alone 10K before.  I have done then as time trials, at events that did a 5K at 8:00Am and a 10K at 9:00 am, etc, but that is a distance I just never have go into for racing.  So...I want to run the last leg of the race like I would a 10K race just to see how I did.  I went out really relaxed but was still very fast.  All my splits we pretty even and I finished at a pace that was 17 sec/mile faster than what I did for my 8.25 mile leg the day before.  I was very excited about that since it was my last leg and I was running on tired legs and very little sleep.  .I felt that I learned a lot about pacing with this race and the 5K race I did the week before.  I didn't think last weeks 5K nor this weeks Ragnar Relay would be anything but distractions from my race prep for my Triathlon in 2-1/2 weeks, but I think that they may be the key for gaging my race effort on my Triathlon. Now I just need to fivure out my preparation plan for the next 2-1/2 weeks of training.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2017-05-18 12:39 PM
2017-05-22 10:54 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

After a 1:45 run in the morning yesterday a group of us went to a small local lake and had our first open water swim of the season.  The water temp was a balmy 18C or 64.4F (actually fairly comfortable) and it was even a fairly hot day.  In two weeks I have an Olympic race at this lake so now I want the water temp to stay where it is so it won't be declared, "no wetsuits".

The run was hard after a long ride (5:05) on Saturday so my legs felt pretty heavy at the start of the run but I did get settled into the run and wound up enjoying myself.  Then at the lake I felt quite comfortable - no leg stiffness - just some good swimming.  My Garmin says I swam at an average pace of 1:48/ 100m which if I actually managed that pace I'd be very pleased.  Unfortunately, this was my first OWS with my Garmin and I'm not sure how accurate it is.  Plus, I probably hit some wrong buttons.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.  This is our Victoria Day weekend for Queen Victoria.  

2017-05-25 9:55 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Cypress, Texas

My "A Race" is in eight (8) days.  What traditions do you have for training, diet, rest, etc. the week before you big race?

2017-05-27 2:52 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

My "A Race" is in eight (8) days.  What traditions do you have for training, diet, rest, etc. the week before you big race?

Hey Curtis,

The final days before an 'A' race should be spent tapering and peaking for the race.  You accomplish that by reducing overall volume, while slightly increasing intensity and frequency.  Ideally all of your workouts will be at race pace - that reinforces the neuro-muscular connections and primes them for race pace.  Your overall volume should gradually decrease.  A couple of days out from your race you should start taking in additional fluids through the course of the day.  Continue that until race start.  I try to maintain normal sleep patterns.  As a race gets closer I increasingly have a hard time sleeping so if I can just maintain my normal pattern I am happy.  Depending upon the length of your race, you may want to limit your activity in the days prior to the race.  There are a lot of people that advocate doing nothing the day before a race.  I am NOT of that group.  I think the day before a race you should get in the water for an easy swim just to reinforce your feel for the water.  Ideally you will do that at the race venue if possible.  I like to take a short ride on my bike to confirm all is well mechanically and I like to get a 15-20 minute Z2 run in with a couple of accelerations to remind my legs what running feels like.

Remember a taper is about feeling FRESH on race day.  You've already built the fitness.  You are trying to rest, recover and optimize your performance during the race.

Hope that helps.  Good luck!  Have a great race.

2017-05-27 10:15 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Thanks Scott! 

2017-05-31 12:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

Hey everyone,

Curtis --what distance is your race? Good luck, and have a great time!

George - are you ready for Oliver? Hope it goes well, and that it remains wetsuit legal

I was hoping to race the 1/2 in Oliver, but ...alas, I have been having a bit of a struggle with my left knee, and now PF has reared its ugliness, in my right arch So, dialing things back a bit for the week on running, as Whistler is the big picture. I can, and need to, cycle more ...so that will be the focus for the next little while. My run has been pretty consistent for the past several months, so the sky is not falling just yet

Thanks to Scott for all the great info - the recent post to Curtis ought to be very helpful for all of us.
Scott - how goes everything lately?

kelly
2017-05-31 9:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Good morning all.  It's been a while since I've commented and hope all are well.  We've been traveling like crazy the last 4-6 weeks (Italy 2 weeks and family trips).  I am sooo ready to slow down and be home. Yesterday was my first time in the gym for about a month and it felt so good to get in there are work.  I do have an issue with my right foot ... the PF has subsided - but now there's a wart.  Dang I hate this thing! I'm trying an over-the-counter solution to dissolve it and it's a slow process.  So if anyone has a good remedy, I'm open for suggestions.

I have a 5k fun run on Saturday, and invited some friends to run along ... so Saturday is all about fun.  My next race will be another Sprint in early July, so it's time to get back to training.

Ciao ... Dorm

2017-05-31 9:57 AM

User image

Subject: Updates
So I hope everyone is doing well. Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.

I went to the orthopedic dr about my cyst to see what I could do to keep training towards August. They took some xrays and were not certain that it was a cyst or not. Would need to do additional images with MRI and such. He did say my knees look bad Of course I said that was what a Dr told me 10 years earlier... By the xrays he thought there was a detached bone spur floating behind the knee which was causing my issues. He thought if we could control the inflammation in the knee that I should be okay. So I got a shot or cortisone and some other meds to do that and told to see how it goes.

I have spent more time on the bike since then but still getting in an occasional run and have not had any issues so far. I have also started taking some tumeric pills to also help with inflammation. All in all a good result and nothing major so I can continue to train for August.

I have another sprint coming up on Father's day to see if I am continuing to progress.

David

Edited by noldowney 2017-05-31 10:04 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 31

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.