BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2017-06-16 6:31 PM
in reply to: noldowney

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
Originally posted by noldowney

The running I have been able to maintain but still having issues. Now it seems more like it is my whole right leg. The upper calf and upper hamstring into the glute seem to just cause some low level pain most of the time. Seems worse when I am sitting or trying to sleep. Seems at its best when I am cycling Trying to get into see a sports Dr to be evaluated but he is very busy and I don't want to wait 2 months to see him. I keep working on stretches and exercises but have not been able to determine the pain yet. Seems more like a very deep muscle issue. I did have a simple massage and they felt better after that for a while (not long, maybe a day).

This sounds a lot like me. A physical therapist made all the difference in the world by prescribing specific exercises for my injuries/weaknesses. I still do the exercises regularly to prevent recurrance of the problems. You shouldn't need to see a physician first but I guess it depennds on your insurance.
I also roll on a lacrosse ball & foam roller & then stretch 6 days/week after my last bike or run, as well as doing dynamic stretching before starting.
I have also made use of Active Release Technique (ART) and acupuncture practicioners.
The older I get the more of this self-care I have to do to keep going.
I find that sitting hurts my hip as much as running, maybe more. I try not to stay sitting in one place too long without getting up for awhile.
I hope this gives you some ideas & helps.
Deb

2017-06-17 12:53 PM
in reply to: #5207873

User image

So, was out today doing a brick workout, bike zones seemed ok but running zones not. Getting frustrated with this now as I want to do it right. I was to run in Zone 1 off the bike for 20 mins. I never got my hr down to that once, in fact it was zone 4 most of the way but the effort was really easy? ?? Just don't get it, any ideas. Was thinking that maybe my max hr was wrong but I don't think it is ??. Also there is no fiction to have your LT on the Garmin 920xt so had to do it via max hr.
Julie
2017-06-20 7:53 AM
in reply to: Juliecl

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Is this Group still open? Can I join you? I have joined Another but I need all the help I can get!!
2017-06-20 8:19 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Is this Group still open? Can I join you? I have joined Another but I need all the help I can get!!

Hi Natalie,

I never really close the group so WELCOME!

Please post a brief bio when you get a chance so we can all get to know you just a little bit.  We have a great group of people with a pretty broad range of experience.  Everyone will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

2017-06-21 1:38 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Surrey, England
Hi Scott & Group

Presuming from your other responses that you are still open to new members. I've been lurking around this group all year and absorbing all of the great advice and comments - now I'm in need of advice and also realise I should try and add to the discussions.

I'm 62, been cycling for 10 years, and took up running just under 3 years ago, building up to my first marathon end of last year. This year I really want to get into tri, for many great reasons that people in this forum will identify with.

I'm doing ok with training generally, and did my first duathlon a couple of weeks ago - standard 10k/40k/5K, which was tough but I met all 3 of my goals - to finish, enjoy it, and not coming last as a bonus.

The swimming is a big problem. I've been struggling for over a year, and have just signed up with a new coach who seems really good and who I can see every week. I get exactly what I should be doing, but muscle memory built up over many years is very difficult to change. I can swim breast stroke all day long, but struggle to do 50m front crawl.

My big dilemma at the moment, is that at the beginning of the year I targeted a super sprint in about 4 weeks time as my first ever tri event. The decision I have to make is whether to go with this but be resigned to swimming breast stroke, or to target something a little further off when hopefully the swimming has improved, in which case I'd schedule in a half marathon and maybe a couple of cycle sportives over the next couple of months. Would really appreciate the comments from you guys.

Steve
2017-06-21 1:41 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hi Scott

Thanks for the welcome.

Nathalie, 47 (the big 5-0 is rapidly approaching), live in Sweden.

STORY: got into tris about 4 years ago, as a way of losing the few pounds I'd been accumulating since having to give up "fun" sport like soccer or karate due to unstable knees (if I do anything else than run in a straight line in a smooth manner (no abrupt stop or change of direction) they tend to "break"). 4 years and 5 sprints later, I haven't lost any weight, probably added a few more pounds even.

I was told I would get addicted to tris, I didn't believe it. Well, I was right, I would give up without second thoughts if I could do anything else involving a ball with my unstable knees. (water polo would be my dream sport but unfortunately, there are no teams round here if you are over 15!). But I need to keep moving 1) for my mental Health and 2) not to become overweight

That said, I do enjoy racing, love the atmosphere on race day. I do 2 sprints a year, one local one at the end of May (12 miles from where I live) and another even closer at the end of August (half a mile from my doorstep, the run passes my house). I may add one in between next year (if I can find another not too far). and I'm toying with the idea of doing an Oly one day, maybe before I turn 50 -or that year at least.

FAMILY STATUS: husband , son (12) 2 cats and a dog (my running partner)

CURRENT TRAINING: not following a plan. Maybe I should. Definitely would if I decided for an oly. Swim bike run and strength training 1 to 2 times a week each

2017 races: May (Went quite well) and August

WEIGHT LOSS: I wish...

Lack of motivation and consistency is my biggest enemy in tris. Maybe if I did decide to go for an oly it would force me to train more. Or maybe I should just try to be faster in sprints...not sure.

Looking forward to exchanging with you

2017-06-22 8:36 AM
in reply to: Bluto

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Bluto Hi Scott & Group

Presuming from your other responses that you are still open to new members. I've been lurking around this group all year and absorbing all of the great advice and comments - now I'm in need of advice and also realise I should try and add to the discussions.

I'm 62, been cycling for 10 years, and took up running just under 3 years ago, building up to my first marathon end of last year. This year I really want to get into tri, for many great reasons that people in this forum will identify with.

I'm doing ok with training generally, and did my first duathlon a couple of weeks ago - standard 10k/40k/5K, which was tough but I met all 3 of my goals - to finish, enjoy it, and not coming last as a bonus.

The swimming is a big problem. I've been struggling for over a year, and have just signed up with a new coach who seems really good and who I can see every week. I get exactly what I should be doing, but muscle memory built up over many years is very difficult to change. I can swim breast stroke all day long, but struggle to do 50m front crawl.

My big dilemma at the moment, is that at the beginning of the year I targeted a super sprint in about 4 weeks time as my first ever tri event. The decision I have to make is whether to go with this but be resigned to swimming breast stroke, or to target something a little further off when hopefully the swimming has improved, in which case I'd schedule in a half marathon and maybe a couple of cycle sportives over the next couple of months. Would really appreciate the comments from you guys.

Steve

Hey Steve!

Yes, you presumed correctly!  For the past couple of years the Gray Guys/Gals group has stayed open so welcome!

"The swimming is a big problem."  This is a common refrain among those who took up swimming with a purpose later in life - we have a name for "them" - adult onset swimmers (AOS).  Swimming is a highly technical sport.  Sure, anyone can do it, but to do it well - to go fast - is somewhat elusive.  The problem generally lies in their approach to learning how to swim fast.  When you first start out, or perhaps more accurately, before you become a proficient swimmer - your focus should NOT be on generating propulsive force against the water - you shouldn't be focused on making yourself go fast.  The VAST majority of adult onset swimmers overlooked the fundamentals of swimming when they began their triathlon swimming career.  When kids learn to swim in an organized class they are taught the fundamentals - how to blow bubbles, how to float, etc.  When it's suggested that adults do the same thing - they often balk at the idea.  Yet those very things - blowing bubbles, learning to float - are the very things that form the foundation of fast swimming.  It's only natural to hold our breath in the water when we swim.  Holding our breath however makes our upper body more buoyant.  Our bodies are very much like teeter-totters in the water - when one side goes up, the other side goes down.  If your upper body is more buoyant it will rise - forcing your legs to drop which introduces drag and slows you down.  The list goes on and on - learning to float helps with body position and balance in the water which reduces drag; learning a streamline position helps reduce drag in the water, etc.

At the end of the day, we humans are land animals and are very uncomfortable in an aquatic environment.  It ISN'T  a fitness issue. Swimming the length of a pool requires no more fitness than walking a few hundred feet.  The problem then is one of becoming comfortable in an aquatic environment. 

I advocate starting with the fundamentals.  Once you've mastered the fundamentals, you move on to adding the propulsive components of freestyle.  I know, "If only it were that easy."  It starts with the fundamentals - http://triathlonswimcoach.com/index.php/en/resources/stroke-technique/31-novice/77-freestyle-from-the-beginning

You mentioned you have a coach.  There is NO REPLACEMENT for eyes on deck in the form of a qualified coach or instructor.  It takes time.  One thing to remember is that swim fitness and technique must be built simultaneously.  You can't have one without the other.  Be patient.  With proper instruction, it will come.

As to the upcoming Super Sprint - 4-weeks is long enough to become at least marginally proficient in the pool.  You won't yet be Michael Phelps, but you should be able to complete the swim portion of a super-sprint triathlon swimming freestyle.  Start with the fundamentals I linked to above, then begin the "Novice Training Plan" on my website.

Good luck!  Hope that helps.

And welcome!  Look forward to getting to know you.

2017-06-22 10:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hi Scott,
I have been following your beginners swim guide and although really struggling to swim the full length and only take 60 secs rest I have managed to do it. However, I feel like Im going backwards as breathing is not getting any easier. Would it be more sensible to follow the min sprint beginners tri swim part as it looks like its a bit easier or should I stick with the programme you have set? Also, been swimming with these fins for all my lengths is it ok to continue or should i go naked....so to speak! :-)

https://proswim.scdn3.secure.raxcdn.com/media/catalog/product/cache/...

Edited by Juliecl 2017-06-22 10:07 AM
2017-06-22 3:49 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

thanks for the help Deb. I did get in to see the sports chiro/dr. He worked on my legs and said he thinks he should be able to help out. I have been trying to foam roll every day. The biggest issue now is with sitting. Driving is the worst. I have about a 30 minute drive to work and I have awful pain in my right hamstring after that short of a drive. Then there is nice pain for a few steps after getting out of the car before i start to loosen up again. It does seem to be worse after a run day (although doesn't really bother me during the actual run).
There was a chiro after my race on Sunday and he said that acupuncture may be helpful in my case also. I have another sports dr appt tomorrow so I hope to follow up more on exercises and stretches.
2017-06-22 4:08 PM

User image

Race report:
Kansas City Corporate Challenge Sprint Tri June 18, 2017

Father's day race and was looking for some improvements. There was some storms in the area in the days proceeding that led to a change in the course. The bike course was reversed and the run modified and slightly shortened.

Water was warm and the swim went okay. Was very slick on the exit but I did not fall . I wore tri shorts for the swim. T1 was slow, I still need to work on my transitions. I had purchased a little tri-fold stool and that was great for keeping me up off the ground but I was still slow getting on my socks and cleats. I had the most trouble trying to get my shirt on though. It kept hanging up on my back and not wanting to fall down (it was a tank top and a little loose, read not aero).

Bike was strange going in the opposite direction. The hills seemed steeper from this direction. (this was the first time in probably 8 races that we went backwards.) Had one old guy (read in my age group ) catch me on the bike so I stayed near him and passed him back halfway through the first lap of 2. He passed me again just before the finish of lap 2.

T2 was better in changing to shoes and heading out to the run. After running about .5 miles I could see that old guy up ahead so I tried to just slowly real him back. Made most of the terrain and was able to catch him just before a large uphill. Powered up the hill and was able to drop him. Then just continue the last 3/4 mile of rollers to make it to the finish. Ended up 1:01:53 which was a few seconds better than my fastest time on this course. (I was hoping for more , always hoping for more).

The overcast and slightly cooler temperature helped out a lot as I did not overheat on the run. I ended up fourth in the 50+ age group. Apparently some youngsters aged up this year and they were pretty fast (2 of them under 1:00:00). All in all a good race with probably the best run off the bike I have had in a long time.

david
2017-06-23 7:29 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

thanks for the help Deb. I did get in to see the sports chiro/dr. He worked on my legs and said he thinks he should be able to help out. I have been trying to foam roll every day. The biggest issue now is with sitting. Driving is the worst. I have about a 30 minute drive to work and I have awful pain in my right hamstring after that short of a drive. Then there is nice pain for a few steps after getting out of the car before i start to loosen up again. It does seem to be worse after a run day (although doesn't really bother me during the actual run).
There was a chiro after my race on Sunday and he said that acupuncture may be helpful in my case also. I have another sports dr appt tomorrow so I hope to follow up more on exercises and stretches.

You sound like me; for me driving or riding or just sitting does my glutes/hams more harm than running does.
One thing my PT told me was that when I sit in a car, make sure the seat doesn't place my butt lower than my knees. Of course it does, so I sit on 2 pillows in the car to get my rear end up higher. This absolutely helps. Try it if your seat positions you too low. (I also almost always use cruise control so I can sit with my right leg as relaxed as possible.)
I' ve recently ditched the desk chair I've been using at the computer and started using one of those things with knee rests & a seat that slants down. I've been having less hip/knee pain lately, so maybe that's making a difference. If I had a stand-up desk I'd try that, but I don't.
In addition to the foam roller, get a lacrosse ball (Dick's has them, less than $3.) Sit on that thing with it under one side of your rear end (or on the side a little, under your hip) with the leg on that side up off the ground crossed over the opposite knee. Roll around a little bit until you find that sore spot; let your weight sink into the ball & just roll & even bounce a little. It'll give a great deep self-massage which really helps me.
For me it works best to develop a routine. I do my foam rolling (& stretching, & icing my joints-but that's another story) ALWAYS right after my last run or bike of the day. NO shower for me until I get it done. I drink my recovery drink & listen to music while I do it, so it's actually pretty relaxing.
I think you mentioned your name, but I forgot.
Deb

2017-06-24 9:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

David ... one thing which struck me about this was ... your shoes and have you had the shoes you're running in for a while?  I had a pair years back that caused me knee pain.  I was really disappointed as I'd spent a lot of money on the shoes, the orthotics and such. But it boiled down to these shoes did not work for me. They were a support shoe (Asics Gel), and once I changed to a more neutral (Mizuno Wave) the knee pain subsided.  I do not know if this is the issue for you, but it is something to consider.

Ciao ... Dorm

2017-06-24 11:45 AM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Regular
Hi All,

I'm still here although been quiet for a few weeks, looks like you lot have been busy and welcome to the new folks

Jumped straight back into my plan as term time is almost over (hurray!) so back training, unfortunately it is week 3 of the period so a hard week!
thursday was a 2k swim followed by 8 mile run, legs still heavy today but did 25mile bike followed by 30min run (2.5mile).
Sooo glad next week is recovery lol....

will tri and read back on all I've missed.

stay safe folks
2017-06-25 4:22 AM
in reply to: adbru

User image

, Kronobergs lan
A good week is ending for me.
Monday: bike intervals on the stationary (30 min during my lunch break)
Tuesday: off
Wednesday: hills intervals (60 min including warm up and cool down)
Thursday. Commute to work. 19k each way, 45 minutes up and downhill
Friday: 10k slow run (7.30 min/km)
Saturday: strength training combined with long walk
Sunday: ows swimming (30 min)

Have a great Sunday!
2017-06-25 1:14 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Thanks for the tips Deb. I have been trying to adjust the car seat but cannot get it right yet. I will try to pillows and see if that does the trick. I will also get a lacrosse ball as another torture device for my training Actually the training is still going well only 8 weeks left...

David
2017-06-25 1:16 PM

User image

thanks for the tips Dorm. I have been using Hokas for a number of years now just to relieve the knee and leg pain. They have been doing wonders. I am probably due for a new pair so I will check into finding another set.

David

2017-06-25 5:30 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by Dorm57

David ... one thing which struck me about this was ... your shoes and have you had the shoes you're running in for a while?  I had a pair years back that caused me knee pain.  I was really disappointed as I'd spent a lot of money on the shoes, the orthotics and such. But it boiled down to these shoes did not work for me. They were a support shoe (Asics Gel), and once I changed to a more neutral (Mizuno Wave) the knee pain subsided.  I do not know if this is the issue for you, but it is something to consider.

Ciao ... Dorm

Good point, Dorm,
I started wearing a new shoe one winter, a zero-drop by Altra with a lot of cushioning. I had been using Merrel Trail Gloves, also a zero-drop but with almost no cushion. I was trying to give my feet a bit of protection from from the snow & freezing cold road surfaces. The Altras were very very comfortable, but I started having ankle pain that I'd never had before. I think it was the shoes because when I went back to the Merrel's it gradually went away.
You never know, & comfort isn't everything.
Deb
2017-06-25 6:59 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Juliecl

Hi Scott,

I have been following your beginners swim guide and although really struggling to swim the full length and only take 60 secs rest I have managed to do it. However, I feel like Im going backwards as breathing is not getting any easier. Would it be more sensible to follow the min sprint beginners tri swim part as it looks like its a bit easier or should I stick with the programme you have set? Also, been swimming with these fins for all my lengths is it ok to continue or should i go naked....so to speak! :-)

https://proswim.scdn3.secure.raxcdn.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/700x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/p/d/pdfins_1.jpg

Hi Julie,

I'm not sure which plans you are referring to.  For clarification, if you are struggling with completing a single length of the pool I would recommend you do the Novice Training Plan as it begins with 25's (a single length of most pools in the States although over on your side of the pond 50m pools may be more common).  If you are indeed using a 50m pool, adjust the plan as necessary - i.e. instead of 16 x 25 you would be doing 8 x 50.

http://triathlonswimcoach.com/index.php/en/workouts/novice

Next, I am NOT a fan of fins at any time for any reason.  In 48 years of swimming and coaching I have NEVER worn a pair of fins for one meter in a workout and I had a reasonably successful swimming career.  Yes, I know things have changed in the years since I hung up my competitive Speedo however the arguments I hear simply don't pass the smell test.  "Swimming faster with the fins allows you to feel the water at a higher speed" - great, then you take the fins off and you are swimming at your normal speed, what good did swimming faster do?  "Swimming at the faster pace allows you to develop your catch and pull" - except pace alters your catch and pull so when you take the fins off, what you 'learned' is no longer operable.  "Using fins will strengthen your legs" - so will a targeted strength program in the gym and the gym will be far faster.  In 48 years I have recommended the use of fins to ONE person - because that person's ankles were so tight as to be nearly immovable - using the fins allowed that individual to begin to develop a kick.  My suggestion is to discontinue using the fins.

Finally, if you are having difficulty with breathing, we need to improve your breathing skills.  MANY technique problems come back to poor breathing.

First, I have a brief article on my website where I talk about some of the basics of proper breathing -

http://triathlonswimcoach.com/index.php/en/resources/stroke-technique/27-beginner/58-breathing

Here are a couple of videos that you may find helpful.  I like this first one because they talk a lot about the timing.  I also like it because quite frankly, her swimming technique is not very good, yet she is able to breathe.  Most triathletes would do well to breathe as well as she does in this video.  One flaw I will point out so hopefully you don't copy it, she is raising her head as she breathes - don't do that!  Otherwise, this video is a good starting place -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNTm8v0oaPU

This next video features Bob Bowman - the gentleman who coaches Olympian Michael Phelps.  This video is a bit more technique specific and has some very good tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB4fJxMWX3U

Hope all of that helps!

2017-06-25 7:09 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Race report: Kansas City Corporate Challenge Sprint Tri June 18, 2017

Father's day race and was looking for some improvements. There was some storms in the area in the days proceeding that led to a change in the course. The bike course was reversed and the run modified and slightly shortened.

Water was warm and the swim went okay. Was very slick on the exit but I did not fall . I wore tri shorts for the swim. T1 was slow, I still need to work on my transitions. I had purchased a little tri-fold stool and that was great for keeping me up off the ground but I was still slow getting on my socks and cleats. I had the most trouble trying to get my shirt on though. It kept hanging up on my back and not wanting to fall down (it was a tank top and a little loose, read not aero).

Bike was strange going in the opposite direction. The hills seemed steeper from this direction. (this was the first time in probably 8 races that we went backwards.) Had one old guy (read in my age group ) catch me on the bike so I stayed near him and passed him back halfway through the first lap of 2. He passed me again just before the finish of lap 2.

T2 was better in changing to shoes and heading out to the run. After running about .5 miles I could see that old guy up ahead so I tried to just slowly real him back. Made most of the terrain and was able to catch him just before a large uphill. Powered up the hill and was able to drop him. Then just continue the last 3/4 mile of rollers to make it to the finish. Ended up 1:01:53 which was a few seconds better than my fastest time on this course. (I was hoping for more , always hoping for more).

The overcast and slightly cooler temperature helped out a lot as I did not overheat on the run. I ended up fourth in the 50+ age group. Apparently some youngsters aged up this year and they were pretty fast (2 of them under 1:00:00). All in all a good race with probably the best run off the bike I have had in a long time.

david

David,

Good job on your race and nice race report.

Your experiences in T1 make a very good argument for wearing a tri-suit for any race - either one piece of two piece.  If you (or anyone reading) is intent on changing clothes during the race I STRONGLY urge you to practice, practice, practice.  I'd begin by every time I come out of the pool after a workout, put on whatever shirt you will need to put on while you are wet.  There simply is NO replacement for doing it following a swim.  I hear athletes brag about how they practice transitions in their backyard - not the same unless you had just completed the swim and are still wet.

As to transitions - we should all beg Deb to do a transition clinic - I've seen her do sub 1-minute transitions.  I'm still trying to figure out how she does that, but she is lightening fast in both T1 and T2.  It CAN be done, it just takes focus and practice.

It's always nice when you can put the hurt on somebody and drop them.

Thanks for sharing!

2017-06-25 7:18 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Rollergirl

water polo would be my dream sport but unfortunately, there are no teams round here if you are over 15!

Nathalie,

You are perhaps the first person I have heard say water polo would be their dream sport!  I played 3-years in high school and another 4-years in college.  We won a number of league championships but even so, I just never really enjoyed water polo.  It occurs to me, you could just tell the local teams you are a mature young lady and you'd REALLY like to join the team - I'd let you play!

2017-06-26 2:56 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by Rollergirl

water polo would be my dream sport but unfortunately, there are no teams round here if you are over 15!

Nathalie,

You are perhaps the first person I have heard say water polo would be their dream sport!  I played 3-years in high school and another 4-years in college.  We won a number of league championships but even so, I just never really enjoyed water polo.  It occurs to me, you could just tell the local teams you are a mature young lady and you'd REALLY like to join the team - I'd let you play!

What's not to like? there is a ball (I love ball sports), it's in the water (I am a fish) and it's much easier on the knees than soccer. Although I have seen it on tv, it's quite a tough contact sport.

I don't think I'd want to play with kids but I suppose I could offer my services as a coach for them, that's a thought...

Anyway, it's a triathlon forum....

2017-06-26 6:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Originally posted by k9car363

... I was still slow getting on my socks and cleats. I had the most trouble trying to get my shirt on though. It kept hanging up on my back and not wanting to fall down (it was a tank top and a little loose, read not aero).

As to transitions - we should all beg Deb to do a transition clinic - I've seen her do sub 1-minute transitions.  I'm still trying to figure out how she does that, but she is lightening fast in both T1 and T2.  It CAN be done, it just takes focus and practice.

I've done the same Sprint in March every year for the past several.  Excepting 1 year, the same guy has won the event every year.  His transitions are always very fast, so one year I stayed in the transition area to watch and film him during T1.  A couple of key takeaway items were:

• He moved "slower to go faster" ... meaning his movements were not jerky or wild, rather deliberate, focused and he only 'touched' something once.
  • He wore a Tri suit
  • The only item he 'put on' was a helmet
  • He did not put on: socks, gloves, a shirt, HR strap ... nothing other than the helmet!
  • His T times for this year's race were: 1:12 and 0:43

Granted - he was the previous year's winner, so his T-spot was immediately adjacent to the bike out gate.  But, for the event I filmed him, he simply trotted down to his bike; put his helmet on; picked up - swung his bike around and trotted out of T1.  Once beyond the mat, he swung his leg over the bike and peddled away.  His shoes were opened out and rubber banded to the bike at the 3:00 and 9:00 positions.  So he simply threw his leg over on top of his shoes; started peddling and was gone!   Given how easy he'd done this, I'd guess his shoes were snugged by the end of his first tenth mile.

I'll post the video if I can find it.  But my reaction to watching it afterwards was, "that's it?"  It was surprising how easy ... how simple his T1 seemed.  I also wondered how many times/hours he'd practiced his movements to get it down to this increment.

Ciao ... Dorm

Edited by Dorm57 2017-06-26 6:39 AM
2017-06-26 7:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Originally posted by noldowney Race report: Kansas City Corporate Challenge Sprint Tri June 18, 2017  ... Ended up 1:01:53 which was a few seconds better than my fastest time on this course.  All in all a good race with probably the best run off the bike I have had in a long time. david

David ... nice report!!  I'd love have your time!.  Sounds like you had fun; were prepared, focused and ready.  I really don't like it when someone passes me on the bike either.  On the other hand ... everyone passes me during the run, so my 'feel good' from the bike is always short lived. 

Ciao ... Dorm

2017-06-26 9:09 AM

User image

Thanks Scott, all very helpful info, ok I will throw away the fins :-)
2017-06-26 3:52 PM

User image

Regular
Hi Guys,

Firstly - great race report, I'm another that would like that sort of speed

First 'Stroke Development Class' (aka swimming lesson) tonight, not a lot of lengths but some good tips on technique which I'll try and implement on my next swim session.

Tough week finished, feels like I have lots to do in order to get any speed back by september lol.

JulieCl - are you doing the swim training in Inverness? if so let me know how it goes- I am going to the class in Dingwall.

I hadn't heard about the 'Highlander, looks good Hope you enjoy it!

Adbru
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 31

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.