Other Resources 2017 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
Show Per page

of 30

2017-09-11 4:26 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Nathalie - In our area here it is like someone turned off a switch and the weather has changed suddenly.  I might get one more lake swim tomorrow.  The leaves are turning colour and up to this week we've had temps in the 30's for 3 months and now it is quite a bit cooler.  And, as you say the days are getting shorter fast.

September and October are good times to recuperate and give your body a break but it doesn't mean you should do nothing.  It is time to just tone it down a bit.  I'm still swimming 3 times a week and I want to run and bike as well but just not as intensely as I've been doing up to my last race.

On November 5th we have a local 20km "To the Tunnel" run that I am aiming for to keep me somewhat motivated.  

By the way.  Today we are getting together with a group of about 9 athletes and spouses for a picnic to just talk about the season and next year.  We're meeting at a park that we frequent through the summer on our bike rides and some longer runs and some "stories" will be told.

Same here, we did not have a warm Summer anyway but last Monday, we went straight to November weather (grey and wet and cold (still too mild for snow).
That said, yesterday was sunny, so I managed a quick lake swim which left my feet and hands frozen for a while afterwards (booties and gloves are ordered, I am not ready to give it up yet).

I should find some Winter races to enter, that's a great way of staying motivated, thanks for the tip

2017-09-15 1:59 AM
in reply to: #5207873

User image

Regular
Hi folks,
Hope you are all well.
Weather is turning here as well, forecast is for frost this weekend!

I am on taper now for my race next weekend, nerves are setting in.
I find myself repeating the mantra 'just keep moving forward...! '

Stay safe

Adrian
2017-09-15 2:00 PM
in reply to: adbru

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Adrian, hope you get those nerves under control.

Still managing 6 to 8 workouts a week, the fall mood has not got to me yet. Received my booties and gloves, looking forward to a OW swim this weekend.
Good luck to everybody racing at the weekend!

2017-09-19 12:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

McAlester, Oklahoma

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Just checking in...I was out of town the last week of July so the first week of August I started my 7 week count down to at 70.3 Race that I will be doing next month.  I was should be more worried about the short time I have to build up volume from the shorter distance training I was doing earlier in the year but I remembers an article written by Ryan Hall about his 7 week marathon training plans where he said that he started with 30 minutes in the morning then added 30 minutes in the afternoon, then slowly build up to an hour every morning and an hour every afternoon over his 7 week preparation period.    

I also looked back at some of my totals for the year and was surprised to see that I already have done more swimming in 7 months in 2017 than I did the full year in 2016.  I was feeling under prepared in the water, especially after having major leg cramps on the swim in my last three races (always in races, but never in practices), but seeing what I have done this year has given me a new confidence.   I am going to be working on consistency over the next few weeks.  It is crunch time.   

I had a pretty good race on Saturday.  The swim was cut short because the wind made it impossible for some of the large turn buoys to stay anchored. so, the 2112 yd swim was cut down to about a 1600 yd swim.  Lots of people complained after the race about how hard the swim was but I was swimming straighter lines that I ever have before and my swim pace was just as fast (err...slow) as it is in clam water.  I really focused on hydration and electrolytes before the race and made it through my first race without getting leg cramps on the swim. My goal was to survive the swim.  I greatly exceeded that goal. 

The out bound leg of the bike course was insanely fast.   It was down hill with a 15 MPH wind at our back for the out bound portion and then uphill into the wind coming back.  My "A" race this year was an Olympic distance race early int he summer.  I did the 25 mile bike ride in 67 minutes at that race.  I came across the 25 mile mark on the out bound of this race at 61 minutes (all while at a lower perceived effort).  Most people were about 6 mph slower coming in bound than they were outbound. I passed the leaders coming back 6 minutes before I got to the turn around so that were about 12 minutes ahead of me.  I was riding #16 at the bike turn around. But with the wave start it is hard to know how many people were ahead of me on time.  I got a flat tire at mile 31.    I am not sure how many people passed me while I was changing tires but It took me about 8 minutes to get back up and riding.  My goal was to go under 3 hours on the bike and even with the flat time beat that by more than 10 minutes. 

My goal on the run was to go under 2 hours.  It was a hot afternoon and I got the sunburns to prove it but again beat my goal by more than 10 minutes.  I took extended stops at every aid station the 2nd half of the run and used the port-a-potty once.  I figured it didn't make any scene to push it on the 2nd half of the run because after mile five I gave up on trying to hit any type of pre-determined pace and just focused on doing what I had to do to not walk on the run.  

The winning time in my age group was 4 minutes ahead of me.  I was 2nd place in the AG. This was a pretty good race for me despite treating it as a "B" race and not worried about speed in transition, how long I stayed at each aid stations, if I could push the pace any faster, etc.                                                           .   

Edited by BlueBoy26 2017-09-19 1:01 PM
2017-09-19 1:12 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Regular
Good Effort !

My 70.3 will be tough this weekend.

I am aiming for sub 9 hours, I know this sounds crazy long for a 70.3 but aiming to be out of the water and on the bike in under an hour (I'm a slow swimmer!) - aiming for 3:45 on the bike (I'm a slow cyclist! - can we see a theme here?? ).

The aim for the run is sub-4 hours, If I can get to the summit in 2:30 i'll be happy - the 1:30 back down for a sub 9 hour race.

The forecast is not great, water temp has dropped this week, it was around 11'c on sunday (brrrrr).
Also possible high winds, if this also has rain/clouds then this could cause the run the be cut short - it might also mean the swim is cancelled if the sea is too rough :-(

2017-09-19 1:25 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Congratulations Curtis.  Sounds like you were quite comfortable with the rough water and had a good swim.  Thats a good plus.  Your whole race sounded like you were relaxed and just enjoying yourself while actually having a great race.  I'm very envious.

2017-09-19 5:07 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

McAlester, Oklahoma

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Congratulations Curtis.  Sounds like you were quite comfortable with the rough water and had a good swim.  Thats a good plus.  Your whole race sounded like you were relaxed and just enjoying yourself while actually having a great race.  I'm very envious.

The swim was nothing short of a miracle.  It was a bit over cast making it hard to see the turn buoys so I decided to just follow the crowd and even though there were people 50 feet to my right and 50 feet to my left I ended up hitting two of the three turns right on the money and the 3rd turn I was still in pretty good position going about 10-15 feet wide of the buoy.  My last race I was correct every time I sighted and still going 50 feet or more wide at every turn. We...I was comfortable in the water.  When your face is down it real doesn't matter if you have waves or wind.  When my face came up I could feel the waves and wind but my face was down most of the time so it really didn't matter.  :-)

My problem with races is that I usually push too hard and die 80% into the race.  Taking a little bit off and just focusing on keeping moving didn't hurt much.  First place was 4 minutes ahead of my and 3rd place was 16 minutes behind me so so spending an extra 30 second at an aid station here or taking extra time to adjust equipment in transition there were really not factors.  What mattered is what people were doing between aid stations and transition not how long they were taking to get through them.  I know Scott doesn't like us clouding this group with detail on how many people were in out AG, but at the race I originally look up my results and only 9 came up in my AG.  The next day when I went back there were 29 (I guess they were all entered yet when I checked at the race).  I was pretty excited to see that large of an Age Group. The only thing I was muffed about is that two ladies (their wave stated behind me) got time that were about 5 minutes faster than me.  On the run course I was pretty sure that I had them all beat but forgot about the wave start times. :-)

2017-09-23 2:19 PM
in reply to: #5207873

User image

Regular
Well done curtis :-)

My event is finished today.
Full report soon.

Highlights are good swim, overcooked the bike which meant i suffered on the run to the point that i cut the run short.

Still took just under 9 hours
2017-09-23 4:07 PM
in reply to: adbru

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Curtis
Congrats! It sounds like it went very well - great to hear that you had no cramping on the swim, too.

Adrian - Congrats! Looking forward to reading about your day. Rest up!

I have been pretty busy with work, and like George, suffering with 'inertia' I started off my training yesterday with a 25-min 'run' of 4min run and 1-min walking, and was thrilled to be completely pain-free.

Have a great weekend everyone..

kelly
New Thread
Other Resources 2017 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 30

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 25 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 12 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11034 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.