BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-01-18 1:51 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

New user
Madrid
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by Juancho

One hour run, doing well on flats, suffering -too much- on the hills - need to work a LOT on this.

Juan

Juan - Part of doing an ironman is convincing yourself that you can do it. Figure out your weaknesses in regards to the course and then work your butt off to convince your brain that you can do it.

My weakness was hills and IMMT was packed with them - so I spent six months climbing up every hill I encountered just so I could convince myself that I could do them. The beauty of working my butt off in the weeks leading to the race was that on race morning I knew I could finish because I had already done more than the course would throw at me.

Two other thoughts about hills. One - don't do speedwork on hills - just do solid reps to build up muscle. A few times in my career I've don't fast hill repeats and pull my achilles as a result. Not good. Slow and steady wins the race. Also - try to find a place to do them on grass. Building muscles by running uphill is tough on the legs. Make sure you find a fill that has a little bounce and stay away from concrete if you can.

Just some thoughts.... Good luck

Thanks! The voice of the experience.... agree on how much mental is this IM thing, appreciate your thoughts!!

Juan

2017-01-18 1:52 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

Time for the Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

Sorry to hear about The Bad and The Ugly, hope you get better soon!
Keep up the good sessions,
Juan
2017-01-18 1:53 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by b2b14

Besides I already have the tri top.

Welcome back Scott - me too!

Juan
2017-01-18 1:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

Time for the Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

Sorry to hear about The Bad and The Ugly, hope you get better soon!
Keep up the good sessions,
Juan

Thanks! I am trying. Today I had a good workout in the pool and doubled my distance that the plan called for. So I was stoked about that!

Question for my fellow BTers - My 920 isn't accurately measuring distance. It's missing laps. ANy one else had this problem and what did you do to solve it.

THanks,
DQ

Edited by Qua17 2017-01-18 1:58 PM
2017-01-18 1:56 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by nicole14e
It would be around the 1st full weekend/2nd week in May (the vball camp I am going to in Italy is the first week in May). I will keep you posted!

Yes, let´s do it!

Juan
2017-01-18 1:57 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Got in a master's swim today - stroke day again.  Butterfly whips my rear!  My swim fitness is returning and I managed to pull off a 200 IM after 2500 yds of the workout. 

2017-01-18 1:58 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e If it's possible to transmit sickness through the computer, I am pretty sure I got Mike's. I'm not a doctor, but I think that's definitely what happened. Started feeling a little cold coming on yesterday and it's definitely there this morning. Sore throat, stuffy, and just blah overall. Still went to the Sprint cycling class last night and am playing on going to a Boot Camp tonight, then hopefully get to bed early. I actually blame my niece and nephew, who I babysat on Saturday. Little cesspools of germs. Every time I babysit them or my other nephews I get sick. Every. Time. I need to sign up for a race for motivation. Once we get this grant submitted I should have more time in the evenings, so will start looking for either runs or tris. Mike, how long will you be out from your surgery? Planning any local races? I am jealous of all the Mass people doing them together!

If all goes according to the The Plan, I should be running in six months, so it might be tough  to get in a tri race that late around here (except maybe the one here at Gunpowder, but I hate bad weather races).  Of course, there's a whole lotta "it depends" in the doctor prognosis, so we'll see.

I must get sick through the computer also.  I work from home for goodness' sakes!!!

2017-01-18 1:59 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I spent this weekend shivering on the couch with most likely a bronchial infection .

Mike get better soon: 1st lungs, then back

Juan
2017-01-18 1:59 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Qua17 Today I had a good workout in the pool and doubled my distance that the plan called for. So I was stoked about that!  

Fantastic news Dave and way to kick training's butt!

2017-01-18 2:00 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Hook'em

Got in a master's swim today - stroke day again.  Butterfly whips my rear!  My swim fitness is returning and I managed to pull off a 200 IM after 2500 yds of the workout. 

Nice workout!
2017-01-18 2:02 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 Time for the Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
Sorry to hear about The Bad and The Ugly, hope you get better soon! Keep up the good sessions, Juan
Thanks! I am trying. Today I had a good workout in the pool and doubled my distance that the plan called for. So I was stoked about that! Question for my fellow BTers - My 920 isn't accurately measuring distance. It's missing laps. ANy one else had this problem and what did you do to solve it. THanks, DQ

I haven't had any issues with mine except when I do something stupid like swim all-out (which reads as butterfly).  If I hit the buttons right it's spot on.

Do you have the pool distance correct?

2017-01-18 2:22 PM

User image

Expert

Sorry to hear about The Bad and The Ugly, hope you get better soon! Keep up the good sessions, Juan
Thanks! I am trying. Today I had a good workout in the pool and doubled my distance that the plan called for. So I was stoked about that! Question for my fellow BTers - My 920 isn't accurately measuring distance. It's missing laps. ANy one else had this problem and what did you do to solve it. THanks, DQ

I haven't had any issues with mine except when I do something stupid like swim all-out (which reads as butterfly).  If I hit the buttons right it's spot on.

I have the pool distance correct. What buttons are you referring to? Just start/stop/lap or something else?

THnaks!

DQ
2017-01-18 2:23 PM

User image

Dave, every once in a while my Garmin will miss a length.  For the devise to accurately count laps, it requires a strong switch in direction.  Slow turns or minimal push offs could be the culprit.

2017-01-18 4:34 PM
in reply to: #5207975

Hi everyone... figured I'd stop being a lurker and actually do something.

NAME: Gecko/Patrick

STORY: I'm 45 years young, male. I used to be fit, I played some high level rugby although I was always the slow guy on the pitch. But I really enjoyed the pain of the sport, so I am perfect guinea pig for this new obsession. After getting completely off any sort of fitness and any semblance of healthy living, I quit my job and launched a company working in the construction industry - we install commercial glazing systems. It gave me a better self esteem and since I work 15 hours a day, I figured no one would see me walk away once in a while. So I joined a gym in October last year, and spinning on Sunday became spinning twice a week, and so on. I did a Indoor tri the first week of January and now I have decided to do Olympic distance this year.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 daughters, 12 and 8. Very lucky to have them support any air brain scheme I dream.

CURRENT TRAINING: Bike focus 20 week Olympic plan from this site - 7 workouts a week. I am finishing week 3 so I have a lot left to do.

2016 RACES:
Absolutely none.

The Plan for 2017: I did the indoor tri at my gym.
10mins swim - 18 laps
30mins bike - 16.8km
20mins run.... 1.81miles and I was running! I am slow...

I will do a couple of sprints and a couple of Olympic if I can keep my credit card from being cut by my wife. So far, it seems like everyone is okay with this.

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE:
Beer. As long as you keep the aseptic German ones away from me as I prefer the free loving hyppie beers of Belgium. Or England. Or U.S. or Canada. Don't give me a pilsner. Please don't. Coors light is not a beer, but the biproduct of having a corn boil.
I'll also drink Rye by the gallon.

WEIGHT LOSS: Do you have a pill? Seriously? I have a lot to loose as I am currently 255lbs. 6'3" frame - I haven't been below 200 since grade 11. I'd love to go down to a skinny 220lbs this year.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: I will be consistent and contribute. I swear I will. I have tons to learn as I am making this is lifestyle, not a bucket list item.

Thanks

Pat
2017-01-18 4:40 PM

User image

Originally posted by Gecko Hi everyone... figured I'd stop being a lurker and actually do something. NAME: Gecko/Patrick STORY: I'm 45 years young, male. I used to be fit, I played some high level rugby although I was always the slow guy on the pitch. But I really enjoyed the pain of the sport, so I am perfect guinea pig for this new obsession. After getting completely off any sort of fitness and any semblance of healthy living, I quit my job and launched a company working in the construction industry - we install commercial glazing systems. It gave me a better self esteem and since I work 15 hours a day, I figured no one would see me walk away once in a while. So I joined a gym in October last year, and spinning on Sunday became spinning twice a week, and so on. I did a Indoor tri the first week of January and now I have decided to do Olympic distance this year. FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 daughters, 12 and 8. Very lucky to have them support any air brain scheme I dream. CURRENT TRAINING: Bike focus 20 week Olympic plan from this site - 7 workouts a week. I am finishing week 3 so I have a lot left to do. 2016 RACES: Absolutely none. The Plan for 2017: I did the indoor tri at my gym. 10mins swim - 18 laps 30mins bike - 16.8km 20mins run.... 1.81miles and I was running! I am slow... I will do a couple of sprints and a couple of Olympic if I can keep my credit card from being cut by my wife. So far, it seems like everyone is okay with this. BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: Beer. As long as you keep the aseptic German ones away from me as I prefer the free loving hyppie beers of Belgium. Or England. Or U.S. or Canada. Don't give me a pilsner. Please don't. Coors light is not a beer, but the biproduct of having a corn boil. I'll also drink Rye by the gallon. WEIGHT LOSS: Do you have a pill? Seriously? I have a lot to loose as I am currently 255lbs. 6'3" frame - I haven't been below 200 since grade 11. I'd love to go down to a skinny 220lbs this year. WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: I will be consistent and contribute. I swear I will. I have tons to learn as I am making this is lifestyle, not a bucket list item. Thanks Pat

Welcome, Pat.   There is wealth of knowledge within this group and within the greater BT community.  If you have any questions - just ask.

I might have missed it, but it'd be nice to know where you from?  May be other BTers close by.

ETA:  judging from your profile, you might be the longest lurker in history (2005?).

Edited by Hook'em 2017-01-18 4:42 PM
2017-01-18 4:54 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Welcome Pat - glad to have you!

I'm looking to make the leap to Olympic this year too.  The bike and run seem so short, and the swim seems soooooo loooooooonnnnggggg...  I'm a miserable swimmer btw.  Would love to share tips.

Oh yeah don't knock pilsners until you've had some real ones - preferably Eastern Eurpoean although Estrella Damm from Barcelona is good too.  

Edited by firebert 2017-01-18 4:58 PM

2017-01-18 5:55 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by firebert

I'm looking to make the leap to Olympic this year too.  The bike and run seem so short, and the swim seems soooooo loooooooonnnnggggg...  I'm a miserable swimmer btw.  Would love to share tips.

Even with all the running I do, the 10k of my Oly last year was a rough 10k. I think part of it was a lack of bike training and discipline, as I may have pushed a little too hard on the bike and burned my legs. As for the swim, it's "just" a mile (a little short, actually). Just 1500m, not even a full masters class! 

2017-01-18 6:38 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

DeLand, Florida

Psst - I'm too poor a swimmer to swim with Masters  

Also that 1500m has to be without stopping, pushing off a wall, etc.  Took me a long hard road to get to my half mile swim last year!

2017-01-18 8:49 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
So far, so good for me this week.

2 before work swims, 1 hour(ish) long bike (windy so some nice hard intervals) and 3 runs (2 short, 1 medium all easy pace)
I've got my long run tonight, should be about 75-90 minutes depending on how good I'm feeling. But tomorrow I'm off out of town for work, so depending on how quickly I can get off site and on a plane home it's looking like an unplanned rest day.
2017-01-18 9:18 PM
in reply to: #5207975

Doug, John,
Thanks for the welcome.
Yes, 2005 is when I did a couple of half-marathon and I was thinking... Then a promotion, then kids, and so goes the country song.
I live in Toronto. As a smart ass Canadian, we have decided to build a wall and the US will pay for it. Too soon?
2017-01-19 4:50 AM
in reply to: Gecko

User image

Mike - sorry you got sick but glad to hear you were able to stay off antibiotics

Andrew- IM New Zealand sounds amazing wish I could get out there and run it with you

John - I feel let down after Dopey as well, and feel the same way you do about it being different if it was the 5 or 10k. As for running I had a rough first run after it, but since then my legs have started feeling better and better. I think movement is key, I went to the parks every day and walked which kept the lactic acid from pooling in my legs. You need to get Dave and yourself to come down here for IMNC this year.

Nicole (md) - Hope you are feeling better and getting sick though the computer is a real thing that why they say be carful of computer viruses........
Why not supper close IMNC is not far away and with any luck Dave and John will come

Pat - welcome to the group lots of good knowledge here and even people like me who can fake it really well.

Nicole (tx) What is the weather like in Tx come April? I am doing IM Galveston 70.3 April 2nd. Flying into Houston on the 31st then thinking of renting a car or possibly ubering it to my hotel in Galveston.

Sorry if I missed anyone I was trying to catch up. looks like we have an active group. I got on the bike yesterday it was not pretty but I did it, then another 4.5 mile run today. Going to the pool after work. I read a few people mention weight loss. I started doing a Keto diet last Friday and so far I am impressed. I will keep you guys posted on how it goes and if you are interested I will tell you about it (not that I'm an expert).

2017-01-19 5:58 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by b2b14 I read a few people mention weight loss. I started doing a Keto diet last Friday and so far I am impressed. I will keep you guys posted on how it goes and if you are interested I will tell you about it (not that I'm an expert).

Keto = similar to Atkins, right?  I experimented with Atkins about 12-13 years ago, lost 10 pounds in about 3 weeks, and then got really sick and wound up in the hospital with an intestinal blockage and some horrible digestive infection.  Still unproven whether they were related or not, but doc told me don't mess with my diet too much going forward LOL.

The key to success for those Keto-based diets (or heck, any diet for that matter) is that it has to be long-term, not quick fix.  "Diets" scare me. 

And besides, beer is a no-no on those ideas so pretty much a non-starter around here. 

2017-01-19 6:00 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Psst - I'm too poor a swimmer to swim with Masters  

Also that 1500m has to be without stopping, pushing off a wall, etc.  Took me a long hard road to get to my half mile swim last year!

The Oly swim is just a mental thing.  i play a lot of mental games in open water to keep my mind occupied.

2017-01-19 7:11 AM

User image

New user
Madrid

W...although Estrella Damm from Barcelona is good too.  

Agree with you John, although yes, I am biased... Great to see you and Scott around here again!
Welcome Pat!

Not a bad run today, 45 min, best of it I was at 24ºC (Emirates region) while Spain is below 0ºC almost all over. Not to talk about those northern americans around here..

Juan
2017-01-19 8:07 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

I sometimes have trouble if I switch strokes during the middle of a length or don't push off at all, but in general I haven't had any issues with my 920. On the other hand, my 910 ALWAYS missed laps. It was ridiculous.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38856 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.