BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-01-20 8:22 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN

Originally posted by Qua17 Woke up this morning to get my gym workout in and my back was having none of it. So, I wimped out and stayed in bed. It got so bad I ended up needing help getting dressed but I feel better now that I've loosened up a little bit. Hoping to hit the gym later today for a bike session.

Geez - hope that loosens up for you.  Trust me...I know.  :-/

2017-01-20 8:34 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17

Woke up this morning to get my gym workout in and my back was having none of it. So, I wimped out and stayed in bed. It got so bad I ended up needing help getting dressed but I feel better now that I've loosened up a little bit. Hoping to hit the gym later today for a bike session.

Sorry to hear your back is acting up (again?). Are you still doing yoga? I find that yoga seems to help all my twinges and spasms through the strengthening and flexibility I gain. Speaking of...I need to get back to doing yoga! Perhaps that will be my February challenge.
2017-01-20 8:39 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by b2b14
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by b2b14  Nicole (tx) What is the weather like in Tx come April? I am doing IM Galveston 70.3 April 2nd. Flying into Houston on the 31st then thinking of renting a car or possibly ubering it to my hotel in Galveston. 

The race has moved up about three weeks this year in relation to past years.  Generally, earlier in spring comes with more wind and less heat/humidity.  I rode the Galveston course once in mid-March and averaged something like 25 mph on the outbound leg, and 15 mph coming back in!  Hopefully we'll be right at that cusp where the wind isn't so bad, but the heat/humidity hasn't settled in.

I'll be racing too!  I paid my dues to the weather gods at Austin 70.3 (bad fog in the morning led to a canceled swim and it got brutally hot by the time we hit the run course), so I'm hoping things will be decent for Galveston

wave when you pass me

I can't believe I forgot to mention this!  There is a brewery within half a mile of the start/finish/transition area at this race!!!

2017-01-20 9:19 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by firebert

Nice work this week Pat!  Naughty Neighbor sounds good to me!!

Dave - Season Opener this year, or the new replacement for Escape the Cape 

https://maxperformanceonline.com/harvesttri/

Why it's called the 'harvest' tri even though its at the end of Spring I'm not sure.  Are cranberries harvested in Spring?  I always figured Fall.  Anyway the whole area is gorgeous and the run course is completely closed as it's all on private property.  I'm leaning heavily toward this!

I could go for the Harvest Race. What distance would you want to do? DQ

Definitely not ready to swim an Oly, so the sprint for me!  :D

2017-01-20 9:20 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove Woke up this morning at 4:30. Ugh--too early!!!!!! Can't do anything around the house, because I don't want to wake up my wife. Gym isn't open yet. Office building isn't unlocked yet (could get in, it just is a big hassle). Ended up wasting a little time until the gym opened at 5:30, then doing strength training. It was a good workout and the old timers just about have the newbies trained to wipe off machines after they are done using them...just about.
Sorry about the early wakeup but I'm glad you got to the gym and had a good workout!

+1 to that - I would have stayed in bed even if I couldn't get back to sleep!

2017-01-20 5:33 PM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

, Vermont
Keeping up with posts! I'm sick so nothing here. Hoping to feel good enough to do something tomorrow.

2017-01-20 8:45 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

So I did my first outdoor run of the year yesterday.....not because the weather has been bad, but because I've sorta been tethered to my work phone and also because it's just so convenient to binge watch tv shows while running on my treadmill.  But my coach told me to get my butt outside, so I did.  I did my second outdoor run today....my weather app told me that thunderstorms were possible at 6pm, so I felt pretty good about starting my 45 minute run just after 5pm.  As I walked out the front door, it had just started to drizzle....about five minutes into the run, the thunderstorm (with a nice downpour) was directly overhead and hung around for about 15 minutes!  I guess I didn't beat the storm this time around!  But it was actually a pretty enjoyable run!

Tomorrow, I'm headed up to the old IMTX bike course for a few hours of riding, followed by a short run, but most importantly, followed by a barrel aged beer fest with 30 different beers on tap!  I suspect my run on Sunday may be ugly, but it'll be worth it! 

Hope everyone has fun weekend plans (and beers) on tap

2017-01-21 9:12 AM
in reply to: #5210928

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hit the road for a 10k this morning--not a race, although the plan called for one today, just a run. It was slow. I took a different route today with a lot more hills than my normal route. Master Saturday swim in about an hour. Gonna be a tough swim after that run.
2017-01-21 12:25 PM
in reply to: #5210961

User image

On phone so hard to keep up with everything and reply.

Nichole Are you riding it outside or on a trainer. I want to get a trainer that will mimic the actual courses and I'm hoping that's what you mean. I live 5 miles off the IM raleigh course and ride it a lot.

Got in my longest run so far without doing a run walk (also no water which was not smart). So far loving this keto thing. I didn't bonk and had eaten nothing since lunch the day before. I'm not sure this can be a for ever thing for me because I am having a hard time eating enough calories I'm just full. Right now it's great I'm losing without the cravings and with lots of energy for workouts, but when I get around 200 I'm going to have to do something to keep weight.
2017-01-21 1:53 PM
in reply to: #5210976

User image

, Vermont
I'd love to get a Wahoo Kickr to simulate courses...ah, someday.

A short, sickly jog of 2 whopping miles with 2 minute run, 1 minute walk intervals. But hey, I got it in! Walked the dog a mile to see if my head and sinuses could handle it. The SI joint was a bit friendlier with this interval than running a mile, walking a minute. Argh...a far cry from IM training from last year, but alas, this too shall come to pass...character building, right? :D
I'll try some planks and other core work so long as my head doesn't get too full.
Hey, does anyone have snow out there?? Where's Cynthia? It's January 21st and I'm down to mainly grass in my front yard! No bueno for skiing.
2017-01-21 3:07 PM
in reply to: #5210979

User image

Expert
Gretchen - Love the idea of a February yoga challenge. Let's do it. It's gonna be a stretch but we can handle it

2017-01-21 3:11 PM
in reply to: #5210982

User image

Expert
Hi all – I'm at the gym working out on the work out bike. I'm on my phone so if any of the messages are confusing I apologized (I can only reply).
2017-01-21 3:17 PM
in reply to: #5210983

Did my long run today -50 mins. My wife is off travelling for work so I had the kids to balance. But my 12 year old decided to do a yoga class so I joined her. Having fun, having an awesome day.

Gonna have a Balls Falls. Local microbrew. Can't wait.

Pat

2017-01-21 6:04 PM
in reply to: #5210984

User image

, California
Hey everyone sounds like good weekends going on!

Pat nice job not missing any workouts and getting some nice beer also! The HR thing is tricky I hear you on that. Trying to go so slow that it seems like you might as well just walk anyway. I'm hoping with better fitness this becomes a bit easier to do because I am scared of not going easy enough on easy days. All I read is to not get caught in that grey zone of not easy or not hard enough.

Dave sorry to hear about your back. Hope it's getting better.

So I took the advice from here (Mike I think) to not try all three HR zone tests in the same week. I took Thursday as an extra recovery day and did the bike test in Friday instead. And the swim I'll put off until late next week some time.

Today I did my long hour run and had my 8 year old accompany me on his new bike. Now that my boys have bikes training can be more fun for everyone!

Sunday morning is an 1.5 hour ride but the forecast is for a heavy rain storm so I may be reduced to the trainer for that long. Yuk!

-Matt
2017-01-22 10:45 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by b2b14Nicole Are you riding it outside or on a trainer. I want to get a trainer that will mimic the actual courses and I'm hoping that's what you mean. I live 5 miles off the IM raleigh course and ride it a lot.

Got in my longest run so far without doing a run walk (also no water which was not smart). So far loving this keto thing. I didn't bonk and had eaten nothing since lunch the day before. I'm not sure this can be a for ever thing for me because I am having a hard time eating enough calories I'm just full. Right now it's great I'm losing without the cravings and with lots of energy for workouts, but when I get around 200 I'm going to have to do something to keep weight.

I went up to the north end of the IMTX course to ride it yesterday....not on the trainer.  I do a lot of my training on the trainer, but try to get outside on weekends if/when I can.

How come you didn't eat since lunch yesterday?  That's a long time to not eat.  I see you said that you're having a hard time eating enough because you're always full, but make sure you're eating enough to fuel life and training.  Starvation is definitely not a good diet, so hopefully this is just your body adjusting to the new keto plan.

2017-01-22 2:20 PM
in reply to: #5210997

My oh my... long bike in. Did a century minute ride - I am no close to do a century mileage wise as I think that my ass cannot tolerate the stupid bike seat on the spin bike. I haven't looked, but there's gotta be bruising down there. I am sitting on a bad of peas right now - I will not put those back in the fridge though.

So, 1h40mins with 50km completed. The joys of a spin bike - big numbers, no wind...

Cheers everyone...

2017-01-22 3:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by b2b14 On my run today I had a little ummmm situation. About half the time when I run I will feel the need to go to the bathroom sometimes it passes, sometimes I can hold it till I get home as it normally hits about a mile from home. I have stopped at a porta john once or twice. Today, however, I was running and things were going well until about mile 2 when it hit. No big deal I can make it......... wrong. Now I am not even in my neighborhood, but the one next to mine, and there is nowhere and I mean nowhere even close to try to stop. I realized that holding it was not going to happen and my only real decision was where I was going. In my running shorts seemed like the worst possible option. It's 0300 in the morning so knocking on a door is out. I don't want to stop in someone's yard cause well that is just rude, then I remember the water shed just over the hill. I'm not sure I have ever climbed a hill so fast. I made it to the water shed and felt much better. Now my dilemma is its 0300, dark, no cell phone so no light (I forgot my arm band at home) so I had to grab some leaves and clean up praying that it would not be bad, but not being able to tell because I can't see. I finished my run feeling better and thankfully no mess to clean up when I got home. Can I consider that a win? P.S. Im a little nervous about my swim after work now since I have found that my suit has finally worn out and the back is see though......

The early front-runner for post of the year!!!

X2

x3, brilliant story.

I've definitely finished a few runs in my time with 'pressing business' to attend to, but I've never not made it home. And after reading this, I hope I never do even more!

Edited by bulfrog 2017-01-22 3:38 PM
2017-01-22 4:04 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 Gretchen - Love the idea of a February yoga challenge. Let's do it. It's gonna be a stretch but we can handle it

"It's going to be a stretch..."  NICE!!!

2017-01-22 5:50 PM
in reply to: Gecko

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Gecko

Did my long run today -50 mins. My wife is off travelling for work so I had the kids to balance. But my 12 year old decided to do a yoga class so I joined her. Having fun, having an awesome day.

Gonna have a Balls Falls. Local microbrew. Can't wait.

Pat

Pat - Great job on the long run and the yoga class. What a great way to bond with your daughter.

BALLS FALLS - funny name.

DQ
2017-01-22 5:56 PM

User image

Expert

My oh my... long bike in. Did a century minute ride - I am no close to do a century mileage wise as I think that my cannot tolerate the stupid bike seat on the spin bike. I haven't looked, but there's gotta be bruising down there. I am sitting on a bad of peas right now - I will not put those back in the fridge though.

So, 1h40mins with 50km completed. The joys of a spin bike - big numbers, no wind...

Cheers everyone...

Any chance you can get a wider seat? Three years ago - during the off season I suffered mightily with a narrow seat at the gym to the point that my prostate was probed from the front end (it hurts as much as it sounds) and I vowed never to ride a stationary bike again. So, I bought a new seat for my own bike and I stayed on the trainer all winter. Luckily there were no more probes and I haven't had a problem since.

Good luck!
2017-01-22 6:05 PM

User image

Expert
Sunday here... I got my 15 minute run in... Jenn - I so hear you about how far we have come. My 15 minute was 9 minutes of walking and then I alternated running 2 and walking 1 for six minutes. I know I weigh 267 pounds but I was almost insulted. I'm capable of more but if I do more I could easily injure myself. grrr It's just gonna take some time,

I had a good workout week but my eating was terrible. My weight is a joke and I didn't lose an ounce.

JUst whining - no need to respond. We all have stuff to whine about.

Hope everyone had a great week.

2017-01-22 6:09 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert

Originally posted by Qua17 Woke up this morning to get my gym workout in and my back was having none of it. So, I wimped out and stayed in bed. It got so bad I ended up needing help getting dressed but I feel better now that I've loosened up a little bit. Hoping to hit the gym later today for a bike session.

Geez - hope that loosens up for you.  Trust me...I know.  :-/

Back is finally a little better. The fender bender I had last Sunday did me wrong but it could have been so much worse. So I'm thankful!
2017-01-22 8:29 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
It's Monday on this side of the world, so time for look back to see how I went...

I had 2 swims, 2 bikes and 5 runs, for a total of 8 hours, 18 minutes training.

The good things for the week:

Weighed in 1.4lbs lighter than last Monday
Did all 5 planned runs, and was reasonably happy with pace and effort

And some bad things,
Only swam twice
Only biked, due to storm force winds
didn't get more than 10 hours total training

This week the goals are the same, swim bike and run often, more than last week. Try to eat well and hopefully weigh less come next Monday.
2017-01-22 8:39 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Originally posted by firebert

Psst - I'm too poor a swimmer to swim with Masters  

Also that 1500m has to be without stopping, pushing off a wall, etc.  Took me a long hard road to get to my half mile swim last year!

The Oly swim is just a mental thing.  i play a lot of mental games in open water to keep my mind occupied.

I play a lot of mental games in open water too. Like repeating the mantra, "no, that wasn't a shark. no, that wasn't a shark. no, that wasn't a shark."

Did I mention I live in southern Illinois and swim in a lake. No sharks, but I still repeat that every time I get in the water!

I've done a couple of tri's in the ocean but never had I had problems until last year when I had my first panic attack in the Atlantic ocean! All I could think about were sharks just out of my sight! I was seriously freaked out

Just remember guys, you don't need to out swim the shark, you just need to out swim someone... don't be last. Think of it as motivation
haha
2017-01-23 7:47 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Small run day for me today. 35 mins or so. My biggest challenge is trying to run slow enough for my heart rate not to climb. Not too sure if I am doing it right, but at 45 y/o i think i am supposed to be around 135. Can't run there no matter what.
But... with the end of week three in sights, I am pretty excited to report that I have not missed any of my workouts. The endurance training is making the bear in me show up once in a while. Not enough to sh*t on a lawn (eh Scott?) but I am having mood swings.
Day off tomorrow. So to celebrate me not missing workouts, I bought 3 local microbrews
Bench
Naughty neighbour
Bitter waitress
Can't decide which one to open...

Pat

Awesome job! Wish I could say the same
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38422 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.