BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-03-14 3:32 PM
in reply to: #5215837

User image

, California
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Can't remember if I mentioned Tower 26 in last year's group but I second that recommendation. I never thought I could learn so much over a podcast but i really did. I can't speak to the value of the workouts/videos that you can now subscribe to because I was lucky enough to find a very similar group in the SMOG squads here, but it sounds like having a virtual coach. I would likely have subscribed if I was located somewhere else.

-Matt

2017-03-14 10:30 PM
in reply to: #5215894

User image

, Vermont
Hello! Shoveling for me today! We are getting hammered with snow up here and it's awesome! I'm supposed to teach class tomorrow but it will likely be cancelled. Blizzard warnings continue for us until 11:00 tomorrow which is right when class starts. Gym doesn't open until 09:00 - delayed, and the website said check back. No classes there until noon. We've probably got almost 2' of snow and it's supposed to continue all day tomorrow too. Crazy.
2017-03-15 7:50 AM
in reply to: #5215910

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Thanks to all who replied to my question about LT testing! I feel tons better now!!

Masters swim for 2300yds this morning. On tap for this afternoon is a brick (45'/15'), which I'm hoping I can get to. Huge project going on at work and I've only been able to squeeze in one workout a day for the last week. I feel generally like a schlub (and yes, I understand why people think I'm crazy when I say things like that!).

Have a good one everybody!!
2017-03-15 5:19 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Hello! Shoveling for me today! We are getting hammered with snow up here and it's awesome! I'm supposed to teach class tomorrow but it will likely be cancelled. Blizzard warnings continue for us until 11:00 tomorrow which is right when class starts. Gym doesn't open until 09:00 - delayed, and the website said check back. No classes there until noon. We've probably got almost 2' of snow and it's supposed to continue all day tomorrow too. Crazy.

You got what we were supposed to get. We only got a measly foot
2017-03-15 5:21 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by Qua17

I was thinking yesterday while I was swimming my slow 2:20's that I wish I could swim faster but without a master's group at my gym, I really don't have a way of making it happen except to do it more often. Lately, I've been swimming with peopoe like Nicole that just blow me out of the water and I feel bummed when I finish my workout because I just don't feel like I measure up. 

Check out the Tower 26 podcast and the workout plans that they (have recently) made available.  There is a ton of good information and people are swimming faster (and maybe even more importantly, they're excited about swimming).  Even if you don't have a masters group, you can still make improvements.

Matt and Nicole - Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out before my next swim.
2017-03-15 5:23 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Damn - I missed my workout today thanks to family committments. My wife is down visiting her parents and friends in VA and I'm flying solo with our two boys. A missed bus was the culprit. I think I'm gonna get up at 4:30 so I can get my workouts in before heading off to school - that way I won't miss them. Only 33 days left until the marathon. It's gonna be close!

2017-03-16 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Hello! Shoveling for me today! We are getting hammered with snow up here and it's awesome! I'm supposed to teach class tomorrow but it will likely be cancelled. Blizzard warnings continue for us until 11:00 tomorrow which is right when class starts. Gym doesn't open until 09:00 - delayed, and the website said check back. No classes there until noon. We've probably got almost 2' of snow and it's supposed to continue all day tomorrow too. Crazy.
You got what we were supposed to get. We only got a measly foot

As of Saturday, we were supposed to be in the bulls eye, sweet spot, goldilocks zone, whatever, with 12-18 inches.  As of Monday, forecast was down to 6-9.  We got about 2 inches of a little snow, lots of sleet, and for some extra fun ice and freezing rain.  Then we had 50 mph wind gusts with temps in the 20s.  I didn't even go outside yesterday LOL.

2017-03-16 9:13 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I haven't posted an update in a while - so here goes.

The week of February 20th I started some like exercising, just spin bike and floating around in the pool (cleared by surgeon).  I also had to travel to CT for a couple of days, which required tons of walking around the airport, our huge office complex, etc.  My feet hurt worse than anything.  That Saturday I started experiencing some real discomfort around the incision and my entire back swelled up.  Long story short - infection.  Went on two different antibiotics for a total of 16 days and we think we have it beaten without having to "go back in".  Without going into the nasty details, let's just say that whole process sucked.

Anyway, onward.  I'm starting over again on the bike and TM (staying the hell away from water for now LOL) and I start PT the 28th.

It's never easy with me. 

2017-03-16 9:22 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

The week of February 20th I started some like exercising, just spin bike and floating around in the pool (cleared by surgeon).  I also had to travel to CT for a couple of days, which required tons of walking around the airport, our huge office complex, etc.  My feet hurt worse than anything.  That Saturday I started experiencing some real discomfort around the incision and my entire back swelled up.  Long story short - infection.  Went on two different antibiotics for a total of 16 days and we think we have it beaten without having to "go back in".  Without going into the nasty details, let's just say that whole process sucked.

Anyway, onward.  I'm starting over again on the bike and TM (staying the hell away from water for now LOL) and I start PT the 28th.

It's never easy with me. 

Ugh! Sorry to hear about the infection! Those can often be worse than the original surgery recovery. Here's hoping you are all recovered from that!!
2017-03-16 9:24 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hour Z2 trainer ride this morning. At least there is no snow to watch this time!! Of course, even if there were, it was so early I couldn't see anything outside the window anyway--pitch black.

Thinking of all you with snow! My sister sent me pics of her yard--they have a 4' fence and it is no where to be seen. She lives in upstate NY.
2017-03-16 3:16 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Geez - must be hard to ride the trainer in there. 

Haha, yeah it's a little tight. Still, better than being banished to she shed

2017-03-16 3:22 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Damn - I missed my workout today thanks to family committments. My wife is down visiting her parents and friends in VA and I'm flying solo with our two boys. A missed bus was the culprit. I think I'm gonna get up at 4:30 so I can get my workouts in before heading off to school - that way I won't miss them. Only 33 days left until the marathon. It's gonna be close!

Only 33 days to go, it's getting very close.

Get out there and nail some workouts! 430am starts suck, but if that's your best option then it has to be done, but you can do it.
2017-03-16 3:25 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

It's never easy with me. 

Sorry to hear about the infection. One of the guys I work with got an infection in his shoulder after a cortisone injection last year, 2 surgery's and in hospital for a week. So I know how serious it can get. Hopefully you clear up without needing to 'go back in'

Take it easy and heal well
2017-03-16 3:30 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
So after a week of doing nothing, I've gone for some short, easy runs this week. Which my dog at least is very happy about.

My first run back on Monday felt pretty awful. The legs just didn't want to do anything, and felt really tight in the calves and hamstring area. Not sure if that was because of no exercise for a week, or a hangover from the Ironman.

Wednesday and Thursdays runs felt a bit better. So thats good.

I'm going to do one more run tonight, and then have a weekend off.
2017-03-17 12:15 AM

Hi! Im hoping i can still join your group.

NAME: Kyle Hurley

STORY: Im a retired firefighter that loves a cold beer. I hear this is the group for me... but the coors light penalty sounds like my idea of a good time

FAMILY STATUS: single. Just me and my pitbull

CURRENT TRAINING: training to run HIM austin in october.

2016 RACES: none

The Plan for 2017: run various short course races building up to HIM Austin.

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: cold, free.

WEIGHT LOSS: Ive lost 36 pounds in the last 6 months. Hoping to be at around 200 by october.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: im a team guy, always willing to lend a hand.
2017-03-17 8:10 AM
in reply to: #5215928

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

2017-03-17 8:13 AM
in reply to: Whiplashrhyno

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Welcome, Kyle! Your favorite kind of beer made me lol

Will this be your first time doing a triathlon?
2017-03-17 8:13 AM
in reply to: #5216094

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
3050yds at master this morning. Dang--I'm tired! We did a four sets of 4x50 in the same interval, but coach asked us to drop 5" from the swim time each set. No one managed to swim slow enough during the first set to allow them to knock 15" off during the last set. I managed 12", but I was blasted at the end of that last set. From there, it was just a another 2000yds to the end. Nap time anyone?
2017-03-17 8:17 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I have had a lazy week. I did a work out at home after work on Wednesday, but had a really hard time waking up early this week from being sick, and probably needed the sleep anyway. I might do a 5K in the park by my house tonight. I didn't sign up but have some friends doing it so may just go run for fun. I have masters practice tomorrow at 7am followed by 3 swim lessons, and then have a football game and swim meet on Sunday. Busy busy!
2017-03-17 9:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Welcome, Kyle!  I raced Austin 70.3 last year....let me know if you have any questions.  I actually quite enjoyed the race, so ignore the people who say it sucks!

I can't, however, get behind your beer of choice

2017-03-17 1:09 PM
in reply to: #5216097

User image

, California
Welcome Kyle. I agree with Nicole on your beer of choice!

Another solid week of training for me so far. Looking forward to a fun weekend down in San Diego. Saturday afternoon we will arrive and check out some downtown, go to see World Baseball Classic Saturday night at a ballpark I've always wanted to see, and Sunday my first Olympic distance race the Super Seal Triathlon. Not great hopes for the race results as I'm just "training through" it. But should be fun regardless.

-Matt

2017-03-18 7:44 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Tavo2311 Welcome Kyle. I agree with Nicole on your beer of choice! Another solid week of training for me so far. Looking forward to a fun weekend down in San Diego. Saturday afternoon we will arrive and check out some downtown, go to see World Baseball Classic Saturday night at a ballpark I've always wanted to see, and Sunday my first Olympic distance race the Super Seal Triathlon. Not great hopes for the race results as I'm just "training through" it. But should be fun regardless. -Matt

Good luck today, Matt!!!  I've always wanted to do a race there in SD.

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Headed to the gym today to do...something.  Not sure yet. 

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by Whiplashrhyno

Welcome Kyle! Cold -and free beer- sounds like a good option to me too!

Mike sorry to hear about the infection, hope you get over it quickly.

Matt, enjoy the Oly!

Great week so far training wise, today 90 min run in the park - tomorrow 4h bike ride, weather is really good right now (no wind, no snow -do we ever get snow here?-, sun shine...)

DQ - keeping an eye on your training, one missed day is ok, take it as a free-day, but just a month to go, keep moving forward!

Juan
2017-03-18 7:46 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Welcome, Kyle!!

x2.  Welcome!

My favorite kind of beer, too.  And I might have had one or five too many in the past 36 hours. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38862 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.