BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-03-19 12:49 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN

I went down to Galveston to ride the 70.3 course yesterday....to be honest, it was just an excuse because the Galveston Island Brewery had released a DIPA that I wanted to try

Unfortunately, managed to get a flat 15 miles in and broke my tire lever.  Luckily, all the other triathletes had the same plan as me (well, to ride the course two weeks out from the race....not to go drink beer!) and had no problems finding another tire lever to borrow.  Everyone was so nice, asking if I was alright or needed help (which I didn't for a bit, until I broke the silly lever....super human strength and all!).

Knocked out a 10 mile run with some tempo intervals this morning, felt really strong.  I'm excited for the race!

Now, one of my favorite local breweries is having a tap takeover at one of my favorite local bars, so I'm going to go have an afternoon flight and then come home and chill.  Did all my meal prep stuff this morning, so I'm good to go for the week

Hope everyone had a good weekend of training and were able to enjoy some nice beverages!

2017-03-19 8:55 PM
in reply to: #5216151

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend! I ended up in Atlantic City Friday when my friend's husband wasn't feeling well and needed someone to see Florida Georgia line with her. Imbibed a bit too much, and missed swim practice Saturday since I wasn't going to leave AC at 4am. Celebrated St Patrick a bit too much yesterday too...

Had a swim meet this afternoon. Decided I should swim hungover more often. Will post a race report tmrw, but highlights are I swam the 100 free in 1:05, dropping 6 seconds from the last meet. Swam the 100 back and 100 IM both in 1:15. Also did 2 relays. Feeling really good about it! Bummed tomorrow is Monday though.
2017-03-19 10:02 PM
in reply to: #5216275

User image

, California
Nice hungover meet Nicole!

Also Nicole - did you ever get to try new DIPA and how was it?

Finished my first Olympic in 2:58 today. I honestly didn't think I had 3 hours in me. I was thrilled with that time!! The best part may have been the 30:34 swim. For some context I did a sprint less than a year ago with a 22 minute swim and another in November with an 18 minute swim. Since then I've been swimming consistently with the SMOG group in the cold OWS and in the pool based program that supplements it and I feel it's really paying off. Now if I can get this bike part fixed...

In true BDAS fashion I had to celebrate at lunch with some local craft selections. Ballast Point Sculpin and Coronado Red Mermaid.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and all your brackets aren't busted yet! I'm going to bed!

-Matt
2017-03-20 6:25 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Nice hungover meet Nicole!

Also Nicole - did you ever get to try new DIPA and how was it?

Finished my first Olympic in 2:58 today. I honestly didn't think I had 3 hours in me. I was thrilled with that time!! The best part may have been the 30:34 swim. For some context I did a sprint less than a year ago with a 22 minute swim and another in November with an 18 minute swim. Since then I've been swimming consistently with the SMOG group in the cold OWS and in the pool based program that supplements it and I feel it's really paying off. Now if I can get this bike part fixed...

In true BDAS fashion I had to celebrate at lunch with some local craft selections. Ballast Point Sculpin and Coronado Red Mermaid.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and all your brackets aren't busted yet! I'm going to bed!

-Matt

Great job Matt, congrats!! Sounds like you did enjoy it!

Juan
2017-03-20 6:26 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by nicole14e

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend! I ended up in Atlantic City Friday when my friend's husband wasn't feeling well and needed someone to see Florida Georgia line with her. Imbibed a bit too much, and missed swim practice Saturday since I wasn't going to leave AC at 4am. Celebrated St Patrick a bit too much yesterday too...

Had a swim meet this afternoon. Decided I should swim hungover more often. Will post a race report tmrw, but highlights are I swam the 100 free in 1:05, dropping 6 seconds from the last meet. Swam the 100 back and 100 IM both in 1:15. Also did 2 relays. Feeling really good about it! Bummed tomorrow is Monday though.

1.05 and hangover... could I take swimming lessons from you?

Juan
2017-03-20 6:28 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by ligersandtions

I went down to Galveston to ride the 70.3 course yesterday....to be honest, it was just an excuse because the Galveston Island Brewery had released a DIPA that I wanted to try

Unfortunately, managed to get a flat 15 miles in and broke my tire lever.  Luckily, all the other triathletes had the same plan as me (well, to ride the course two weeks out from the race....not to go drink beer!) and had no problems finding another tire lever to borrow.  Everyone was so nice, asking if I was alright or needed help (which I didn't for a bit, until I broke the silly lever....super human strength and all!).

Knocked out a 10 mile run with some tempo intervals this morning, felt really strong.  I'm excited for the race!

Now, one of my favorite local breweries is having a tap takeover at one of my favorite local bars, so I'm going to go have an afternoon flight and then come home and chill.  Did all my meal prep stuff this morning, so I'm good to go for the week

Hope everyone had a good weekend of training and were able to enjoy some nice beverages!

Nicole, was this in your new Argon? Good you could fix it quickly - how was the tap takeover?

Yesterday 100 km early morning ride, when I was coming back to the city I could see lots of cyclist going out, but I was already done!

Juan

2017-03-20 7:52 AM
in reply to: #5216280

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Matt--congrats!! Sounds like a great race!!

Nicole--hungover swim meet?!? True bad@ss. Although the thought of it makes me want to hurl!!

Busy weekend at my house. So many chores to catch up on!! Alas--not caught up yet, but closer than I was Friday! Managed to hit all workouts too, so that is a plus. Saturday was 1:15 on the trainer. Sunday was hour run plus hour on the trainer. This morning was 2200m with the masters.

Busy week ahead at work with a big deadline looming at the end of next week. Gonna be a tough one to hit all the workouts, but gotta do what we gotta do, right?
2017-03-20 8:04 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

DeLand, Florida

ON - definitely considering switching your name to torpedo!  You know, women's olympic selection time in the 100m free was 56.34 last summer.  Not kidding:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Qualification#Qualifying_standards

The last 10 seconds probably feel like a mile away but seriously I'm comparing your swim meet 100 free to Olympic qualifiers...

Nicole - hope everything worked out with the borrowed tire levers and you got all the beers you were after!    Never thought a lick about tire levers until recently when trying to fit a Michelin Lithion to my trainer wheel.  That sucker wasn't going on period.  Broke two tire levers on it easy and didn't bother going for more because I knew they'd be toast as well.  Got these http://pedros.com/products/tools/wheel-and-tire/tire-levers/ and haven't looked back.  They were like $5 on amazon.  

Andrew - I'd say feeling toast and unable to run just what, a week after doing a full IM?  Sounds not only normal but like you might be trying too hard too soon.  I've read time and again the pros take two weeks off after an IM for recovery.  The rest of us human types probably need longer than that!

Matt - congrats on your first Oly!!!!  I see that as a huge accomplishment - especially for me, the jump from sprint to oly in swim length is staggering.  great work!

Everyone else - hope all the training is going well and race season is shaping up.  It's creeping up on me fast - 12 weeks until my first race of the season.  I've been in the pool twice this year and this race is a 1/3 mile swim.  For most of you the difference between 1/4, 1/3, and 1/2 is probably negligible.  For me it can be the difference between back floating, switching to modified breaststroke, contemplating a DNF, panic attack, etc.

2017-03-20 8:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

DeLand, Florida

Edit sorry tech issues double post

Edited by firebert 2017-03-20 8:05 AM
2017-03-20 1:53 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by firebert
12 weeks until my first race of the season.  

When the deadline is approaching, it seems that it is not going to be easy to make it, but then....it´s done: the main issue here it to get enough training prior to the race. While I am writing this John, I should be doing it as well - theoretically 3 swims per week, but I manage to do 1 or 2 and struggling...

Juan
2017-03-20 3:08 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Juancho  - theoretically 3 swims per week, but I manage to do 1 or 2 and struggling... Juan

Don't I know - I scheduled 3 this past week and did....zero!  Not out of laziness, always out of family commitments.  

2017-03-21 11:10 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Juancho  - theoretically 3 swims per week, but I manage to do 1 or 2 and struggling... Juan

Don't I know - I scheduled 3 this past week and did....zero!  Not out of laziness, always out of family commitments.  

That's happened to me more times than I can count.  Life happens, right?  The key is to have enough time built into your plan so missing a few workouts doesn't send your training to hell in a handbasket.  Your long-term fitness over time matters, too - the longer you've been at this the quicker you'll get back.

2017-03-21 1:17 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

That's happened to me more times than I can count.  Life happens, right?  The key is to have enough time built into your plan so missing a few workouts doesn't send your training to hell in a handbasket.  Your long-term fitness over time matters, too - the longer you've been at this the quicker you'll get back.

2017-03-21 1:42 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Why everyone hatin' on the swim?!?

Weird day for me today, brought to me by the Terminix guy, who was supposed to be at my house 9-11am. Ugh, right in the middle of the day. Up to work at 5 instead of working out--weird to be here with absolutely no one around. Home at 8:45 to be there for him and cleaned my kitchen and prepared dinner for the crock pot. At 9:30, when he still wasn't there, I hopped on my trainer for a 45 min Z2 ride. When he still wasn't there at 10:15, I jumped in my running shoes and hit the driveway and road around my house for a brick run. In the end, Terminix never did show up (we are canceling the service after this, given it isn't the first time it has happened), but I got my kitchen cleaned, dinner in the crock pot, and workout in. Now back to work!
2017-03-21 2:00 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida

I don't hate the swim it's just the most difficult to get to.  I have a trainer so my bike workouts can always be done at home and at any hour.  My long run is Sunday mornings while we're already at the Y for my daughter's ballet and gymnastics classes.  Short runs I squeeze in during the workday at home.   Lap swim hours are a couple weeknights or Saturday and Sunday afternoons - always family time...  This week will be better!

Pest control - we have Orkin and I'm sure it varies from place to place but the customer service from them has been great.  They're always good about rescheduling for me if I can't be here when they're coming and the guy is always on time.  

2017-03-21 2:03 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Question for the group - what's everyone's go-to electrolyte replacement drink?  I always used Nuun, but they've now switched from sorbitol to stevia to sweeten them all.  Stevia is probably better for you (plant based instead of sugar alcohol) but I can't get past the taste.  I HATE it.  I need something new...  Salt tabs maybe? 

2017-03-21 2:51 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Juancho

1.05 and hangover... could I take swimming lessons from you?

Juan

We will do a lesson in May when I come to Valencia!

Speaking of, we are hoping to finalize our travel plans this week. It looks like there is a good chance I will be in Valencia from Sunday, May 7th-Saturday May 13th. Any chance you will be around that week? The other possibility is I will only be there from 5/10-5/13, but I think it's more likely that I will be there longer at this point. Again, I should know in the next couple of days.
2017-03-21 2:57 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I still haven't been able to find the official results so haven't written up my race report from the meet. I should add though that the meet was SCY, not meters. Not sure how much of a difference that makes, but I know it makes some kind of difference I would love to think I'm pushing Olympic times on 0-2 days a week of training, but unfortunately I do not think I'm going to qualify for Tokyo
2017-03-21 11:01 PM

User image

, California

Question for the group - what's everyone's go-to electrolyte replacement drink?  I always used Nuun, but they've now switched from sorbitol to stevia to sweeten them all.  Stevia is probably better for you (plant based instead of sugar alcohol) but I can't get past the taste.  I HATE it.  I need something new...  Salt tabs maybe? 

Not sure if this qualifies as full electrolyte replacement, but I have been making my own bottles for long rides. Whole bottle of water, 2.5 tablespoons of maple syrup and a couple turns of the grinder of pink sea salt.
2017-03-22 5:19 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Not sure if this qualifies as full electrolyte replacement, but I have been making my own bottles for long rides. Whole bottle of water, 2.5 tablespoons of maple syrup and a couple turns of the grinder of pink sea salt.

I'm really old school - Gatorade.  The original flavors like orange, lemon-lime, or fruit punch, not those ones like Shocko Raspberry Mango Intensity or whatever weird names they have.

I seem to tolerate it really well, even when running pretty hard.

2017-03-22 5:24 AM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I drink both Gatorade and Powerade. Like Mike, the flavor must be old school. Grape is my favorite while riding. Orange is for other times.

2017-03-22 8:09 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Lemon-Lime gatorade is the best!
2017-03-22 8:59 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Wow that is DIY at it's best - and totally worth trying thanks!

I can tolerate powerade, can't do gatorade it makes me ill.  I have Vitalyte powder I mix up for calories and electrolytes, the Nuun was nice for just electrolyte replacement without the added calories.  I suppose there aren't -that- many calories in Vitalyte...

Anyway thanks everyone!

2017-03-22 9:25 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

GAG!!! I once made the mistake of taking two HUGE bags (think enough to make a 5 gal cooler full) of lemon-lime gatorade to Egypt with me. I wrote in my travel journal "I HATE LEMON-LIME GATORADE!!!!" in sharpie after about three days. Unfortunately, it was all I had and so I had to drink it (or risk dehydration and electrolyte imbalance). Never again!
2017-03-22 12:21 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

GAG!!! I once made the mistake of taking two HUGE bags (think enough to make a 5 gal cooler full) of lemon-lime gatorade to Egypt with me. I wrote in my travel journal "I HATE LEMON-LIME GATORADE!!!!" in sharpie after about three days. Unfortunately, it was all I had and so I had to drink it (or risk dehydration and electrolyte imbalance). Never again!

Haha so sad! I hated it when I was young but now I love it. I think it's the most mild flavor, which I enjoy. I have never used the powder though, so I wonder if there is any difference!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 38603 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.